PDA

View Full Version : Steering '58 S & P Hawks Mechanical Comparison

CarCrosswordDan
02-06-2012, 07:19 PM
Other than the power steering components (if so equipped) were there any other significant mechanical differences between the '58 Pakard & Golden Hawks ? Thanks, Dan

Johnnywiffer
02-06-2012, 08:11 PM
I'm curious. I'm thinking the only difference between power steering systems, Studebaker and Packard, was between the ones with AC and the ones without, not between the brands. Why would anything be different, otherwise?

I know that the AC-equipped cars had the pump mounted on the back of the generator on the driver's side. And the ones without AC had them mounted in the usual location.

Enlighten me please.

John

RadioRoy
02-06-2012, 08:18 PM
EDIT Boy was I wrong! :(

At any rate, the chassis parts manual will tell the story.

SN-60
02-06-2012, 08:38 PM
I believe Car Crossword Dan means that the Packard Hawk still used the saginaw integral power steering system, while the other Hawks began using the Bendix linkage type system.

CarCrosswordDan
02-06-2012, 10:34 PM
SN-60, yes, that's exactly what I meant. Any other mechanical differences that come to mind? Thanks, Dan

SN-60
02-06-2012, 11:14 PM
Well, a Friend owns a Packard Hawk that's fitted with a rear sway bar. He says it's 'factory' and He is knowledgeable. This surprised Me as I've never seen a Golden Hawk with one
(from the factory) although I would not doubt that the rear bar could be special ordered. Also, Packard Hawks tended to run hotter in traffic than Studebaker Hawks. I suppose the lack of that big grille
in front of the radiator would account for that. Then there's the question of different engine support brackets (frame brackets) which is dealt with on another thread. Take care

StudeRich
02-07-2012, 12:31 AM
I think the big difference between the two other than the nose, would be the standard Leather seating surfaces in the Packard Hawk and the very special Vinyl exterior door pads. Neither would be found on a GH except those very few Golden Hawk 400's with the Leather, which are NOT standard GH's.

The actual Mechanical parts, I am hard pressed to think of any. Does the bumper jack count? :)

Running with SN-60's sentence about overheating. It is off topic but, then there is the post about the Dealer Service Letter that recommends cutting TWO big square holes in the upper Air Deflector on Packard Hawks that overheat! :( :p

SN-60
02-07-2012, 12:39 AM
To: StudeRich,----- In My opinion, the completely different power steering setups is a MAJOR mechanical difference. I have an idea why Studebaker bothered to do that. Any guesses?

StudeRich
02-07-2012, 01:00 AM
To: StudeRich,----- In My opinion, the completely different power steering setups is a MAJOR mechanical difference. I have an idea why Studebaker bothered to do that. Any guesses?

I am really not into '58 Packards, I do have a '58 President Sedan and it has the "first year" Bendix P/S. I don't have a clue as to why the Packard Hawks are different, if there even IS a reason.

I did notice with some interest though that Matt's PH has different engine placement than GH's because of those one-off Engine Mount Brackets, so the reason if there is one, could be related to that, strictly a Clearance issue. :)

studegary
02-07-2012, 01:26 PM
Fifteen (15) inch wheels and tires were optional on Golden Hawks and not on Packard Hawks.
Three (3) speed with overdrive was standard with Fightomatic optional in the Golden Hawk. The Packard Hawk was just the opposite.
Power brakes were standard on a Packard Hawk and optional on a Golden Hawk.
The previously mentioned optional power steering major difference.
A front stabilizer bar is standard on both, no rear stabilizer bar.

SN-60
02-07-2012, 05:44 PM
So it sounds like Stude kept the Saginaw system on the Packard Hawk due to the lower engine placement in the chassis conflicting with the Bendix 3rd, (forward facing), bellcrank arm and slave cylinder. Works for Me!!.

CarCrosswordDan
02-07-2012, 06:19 PM
StudeGary, thanks, that really wraps it up. So I guess it's safe to say that Packard made no '58, 15" hiubcaps, right? Thanks, Dan

studegary
02-08-2012, 01:17 PM
So it sounds like Stude kept the Saginaw system on the Packard Hawk due to the lower engine placement in the chassis conflicting with the Bendix 3rd, (forward facing), bellcrank arm and slave cylinder. Works for Me!!.

All four 1958 Packard models used the Saginaw power steering system. It was considered to be a better system, but more expensive.

studegary
02-08-2012, 01:22 PM
StudeGary, thanks, that really wraps it up. So I guess it's safe to say that Packard made no '58, 15" hiubcaps, right? Thanks, Dan

I have seen 1958 Packards with 1957 Packard 15 inch wheelcovers. The 1958 "Salesman's Data Book" said that 15 inch were not available on 1958 Packards. It is possible that 15 inch were allowed on some 1958 Packards or it became a late in the year option or people changed them after manufacture. Does anyone have any Studebaker-Packard literature indicating that 15 inch were available on 1958 Packards or a 1958 Packard build sheet with 15 inch wheels called out?

EDIT: The 1958 Packard Owner's Manual also only calls out 14 inch wheels/tires.

SN-60
02-08-2012, 05:30 PM
To: studegary,---- So the other '58 Packards also had the Saginaw? Well, there goes my theory! Now I'm back to wondering why Packard Hawks had different engine frame mounts than other c-k's. I guess some
mysteries aren't meant to be solved!

bezhawk
02-08-2012, 09:59 PM
I think the big difference between the two other than the nose, would be the standard Leather seating surfaces in the Packard Hawk and the very special Vinyl exterior door pads. Neither would be found on a GH except those very few Golden Hawk 400's with the Leather, which are NOT standard GH's.

The actual Mechanical parts, I am hard pressed to think of any. Does the bumper jack count? :)

Running with SN-60's sentence about overheating. It is off topic but, then there is the post about the Dealer Service Letter that recommends cutting TWO big square holes in the upper Air Deflector on Packard Hawks that overheat! :( :p
Your right about the holes, as mine had them. Serial #549. Also had the late radiator baffle, and the extra stainless trim around the outside door arm rests.

CarCrosswordDan
02-09-2012, 06:30 PM
StudeRich, if we're mentioning interiors, don't forget the rear armrest in the Packard Hawk, not available on the '58 Golden. Dan

bezhawk
02-09-2012, 09:13 PM
I don't know if this is a mechanical difference, however, the rear fins were different. The front section (from the rear of the outside rear armrest) forward, was leaded into the 1/4 panel. On Golden Hawks, the inner fin bead came all the way forward.