63 Wagonaire 1...some assembly required

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 63 Wagonaire 1...some assembly required

We got home from California last night and I dug into the Wagonaire this morning. My son in law had helped the driver unload it and stuck it in my shop. This is what I found...

In spite of what looks like a jumbled mess, it was packed quite well. I couldn't find anything damaged or broken...including additional glass for the rear quarter windows and tailgate.

I unloaded the car and stacked the parts on the sides of the garage...

There were many duplicates and triplicates in some cases of trim parts including grills and shells, tail lights, power window motors. Also an extra rust free tailgate and window, an extra water cooled FOM, an AC system, new, complete, Turner front disc set up, the roof rack I had hoped was there , NOS or rechromed bumper wing tips, a full new rubber set, new Edelbrock 1404 on the proper manifold, and many other GOOD surprises.

I pushed the car out of the shop and washed it...

I don't know where Pat gets his body and paint done, but this caliber of work would cost several times what he told me he paid for it if done here. The body is super straight. I had intended to cut and buff the base/clear job, but the orange peel so minimal, I will probably just run a buffer over it prior to reassembly. Not only has the white been repainted...and COMPLETELY including jambs and underhood, but the BLUE interior color has also been redone...

This car has never had ANY rust anywhere...

...absolutely priceless for a 59 year old car.

Here's the motor...

I'm not sure of the sequence I will attack this one, but the plan will develop as I get into it.

Should be fun!
    Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Aw hell, Dick! You'll be toolin' around in that next week!
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
      Wow! What a way to start a project - with everything clean and no rust! But I hope you added wrong, otherwise I lost 10 years somewhere and I need every minute to fix all my rust.
      Skinny___'59 Lark VIII Regal____'60 Lark Marshal___

Comment

Dick, I've lost almost all desire to read and post on the forum, but had to chime in on this one. It's great to see you back with a Stude project. It being a station wagon.. There's nothing cooler. I'll be following along and watching closely. Can't wait to see it unfold into a real nice car.

Comment

I can see it already, it is going to beautiful!!! Wish I was there to help.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by Skinnys Garage View Post
            But I hope you added wrong, otherwise I lost 10 years somewhere and I need every minute to fix all my rust.
            OK...49 years . It's that durn subtraction thing that got me.
            Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Comment

Originally posted by Roscomacaw View Post
              Aw hell, Dick! You'll be toolin' around in that next week!
              Yep...in my dreams
              Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
                Dick, I've lost almost all desire to read and post on the forum, but had to chime in on this one. It's great to see you back with a Stude project. It being a station wagon.. There's nothing cooler. I'll be following along and watching closely. Can't wait to see it unfold into a real nice car.
                Thanks, Matt. I agree. Long roofs rule!
                Dick Steinkamp
                Bellingham, WA

Comment

Originally posted by Bullet View Post
                  I can see it already, it is going to beautiful!!! Wish I was there to help.

Mark
                  Come on up, Mark. I'll keep you busy!
                  Dick Steinkamp
                  Bellingham, WA

Comment

Nice to see such a solid car, especially a wagonaire, that's going to be restored. Good luck and have fun with the project Dick.

Joe
                    sigpic

1962 Daytona
                    1964 Cruiser
                    And a few others

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
                      please keep posting, Matthew!!!

if i see you have posted, i go to it because i usually learn a lot.

totally agree also. looking forward to Mr. S's rebuild pics!!!
                      Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Sounds like you're happy with it Dick - I'm glad. I was beginning to think it would wind up going to the crusher.

When you have 60 1 1/2 ton Chevy vans on the road driven by a bunch of youngsters you wind up needing a lot of paint & bodywork. I have had a relationship with a local body shop for years, they got all my business - and being the good people they are, they repaid me by giving me a good price when I wanted one of my cars done.

They have always done stellar work - they also did the 63 Cruiser on ebay now (shameless plug http://tinyurl.com/63Cruiser ) so if anyone wants a VERY solid, rust free car with a zero time motor and a paint job like Dick described, help a brother out and get a good deal for yourself.

Can't wait to see how it turns out.

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
                          We got home from California last night and I dug into the Wagonaire this morning. My son in law had helped the driver unload it and stuck it in my shop. This is what I found...

In spite of what looks like a jumbled mess, it was packed quite well. I couldn't find anything damaged or broken...including additional glass for the rear quarter windows and tailgate.

I unloaded the car and stacked the parts on the sides of the garage...

There were many duplicates and triplicates in some cases of trim parts including grills and shells, tail lights, power window motors. Also an extra rust free tailgate and window, an extra water cooled FOM, an AC system, new, complete, Turner front disc set up, the roof rack I had hoped was there , NOS or rechromed bumper wing tips, a full new rubber set, new Edelbrock 1404 on the proper manifold, and many other GOOD surprises.

I pushed the car out of the shop and washed it...

I don't know where Pat gets his body and paint done, but this caliber of work would cost several times what he told me he paid for it if done here. The body is super straight. I had intended to cut and buff the base/clear job, but the orange peel so minimal, I will probably just run a buffer over it prior to reassembly. Not only has the white been repainted...and COMPLETELY including jambs and underhood, but the BLUE interior color has also been redone...

This car has never had ANY rust anywhere...

Here's the motor...

I'm not sure of the sequence I will attack this one, but the plan will develop as I get into it.

Should be fun!
                          Hey Dick, whats stamped on the little tag hanging off the main body tag? Does it say "TT" for twin traction?

Comment

No, it says "XX", and there's no telling what that stands for. I've got one of those little tags with just a "G" on it. Took it off a 61 Lark 4dr.
                            No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Isnt there a song... Jealous, jealous again!!!!
                              Jamie McLeod
                              Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
                              1958 Commander "Christine"
                              1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
                              1955 Commander Sedan
                              1964 Champ
                              1960 Lark

Comment

Working...
                              X