Industrial lighting suggestions sought

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Industrial lighting suggestions sought

Anyone here in the lighting field, or have knowledge of it?

I'm needing to select lighting for a shop: 50'x50'x18' ceiling height. The walls and ceiling will be all steel in a light color, probably gray, floor painted light or medium gray. Big Ass Fan(tm) in the center.

My objective is lighting that gives good general coverage but not too hard on the eyes. Power usage is a consideration; I'm looking for what type is the most efficient. Also am interested in durability; I'm not looking to go up that high changing bulbs very often I expect to supplement with lower wall lighting in addition.

Yes, I'll be studying up on the subject, but I thought maybe someone here had some expertise they would share.

Any advice appreciated.
    Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
    Romans 15:13
    Deuteronomy 31:6
    Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Bob -
    When we built our warehouse about 6 years ago, we went with some new type of light system. I'll dig out the name of it and let you know. They look like flourescent tubes, but they are not. I don't think we have had any burn out in the 6 years we've been in the building. They are instant on, unlike those mercury vapor lights.
    Steve
    Buckeye, Arizona

1960 Hawk R2 4 speed project

Comment

as u kno fluorescents and mercury vapor is very hard on the eyes,
      I put sodium vapor in my shop and am very happy with them
      I have 2 in a 1000 sq ft shop for general lighting
      bulbs are very long lasting
      they do take a couple min to warm up but i don't find that a problem
      if u shut 'em off and turn'em right back on fyi they take about 8 min to relight, this is normal for this type of system
      got'em from Grainger
      1947 M5 under restoration
      a bunch of non-Stude stuff

Comment

Bob -
        We used fixtures that take T5 54w bulbs. They look like mini fluorescent tubes, maybe 3/4" in diameter. We are very happy with them in our warehouse.
        Steve
        Steve
        Buckeye, Arizona

1960 Hawk R2 4 speed project

Comment

I drooled over the T5 (and T6) 3/4" diameter fluorescent bulbs used in the race shops in Mooresville, NC.
          4 bulbs per fixture with a polished stainless steel reflector.
          Same lights that are in the Keystone tractor museum in Virginia.
          But, whoaaa... The price is steep...
          Now...
          I bought my t-12 fluorescent lights on auction a couple years ago...
          32 light fixtures...with bulbs..for $300 total...
          (Spent more on the Romex, boxes, outlets,and switches

Have only replaced 2 bulbs in two years..
          Shop hard. CASO hard... Oh wait.. You aren't a CASO.
          Buy top shelf! Best you can find!
          Jeff

Originally posted by coyote View Post
          Bob -
          We used fixtures that take T5 54w bulbs. They look like mini fluorescent tubes, maybe 3/4" in diameter. We are very happy with them in our warehouse.
          Steve
          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Careful with purchasing new versions of the good old fluorescent fixture. That light-bulb ban bans their ballasts. Refit gets expensive fast.

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
              Shop hard. CASO hard... Oh wait.. You aren't a CASO.
              Buy top shelf! Best you can find!
              Jeff
              You are correct, I am NOT the greedy tightwad, cobjob type, which of course is what the term CASO implies. I understand some like that and that's fine for them, it's just not me.

My idea is to buy quality that will both last and be as efficient as possible. I'm not thrilled about the idea of buying used stuff with who-knows-what life span left and putting it up 18 feet in a new building. As the saying goes, for some there's no time to do something right but always time to do it over. I am not one of those. I've got about 40 old fluorescent fixtures with boxes of bulbs stacked up against the wall in one of my 'for sale' buildings plus about 10 round ones of some type if any CASOs want them for free, otherwise they're headed to the scrapyard in a few weeks.

Thus far I have learned I have a lot to learn about the latest lighting. I want quality, efficiency, and the latest best technology. What I DON'T want is the ones that drive my eyes crazy for the first hour I'm in some big buildings. So first I'll determine what's best for my application, then shop for the best price on what I need. So I guess, yeah, that's "top shelf! Best I can find!" It's the NON-CASO way.

Thanks for the input, Steve, and thanks (I think?) to Jeff
              Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

That's good!
                I tendered the lower end cost experience for your perusal.
                Come over and check my work to see if it is cobjob.
                (Ask Sonny about my last batch of auction fluorescent lights)....
                Your path is best determined by you.
                But knowing the holes along the way may help to prevent a stumble.
                Good conversation.
                Jeff

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
                You are correct, I am NOT the greedy tightwad, cobjob type, which of course is what the term CASO implies. I understand some like that and that's fine for them, it's just not me.
                <snip>
                My idea is to buy quality that will both last and be as efficient as possible.<snip>
                Thanks for the input, Steve, and thanks (I think?) to Jeff

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Comment

A few well placed skylights can offer the best quality supplemental lighting available. Operating cost is phenomenal!
                  John Clary
                  Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Bob Andrews it might best if you went to a local electrical wholesaler in your area and talked to a member of the sale staff that might specialize in the type of thing you are asking about here. Sometimes having an actual person taking a look at your building then having them sit down and working out a lighting plan and paying them for thier advice might save you money in the long run.

John S.

Comment

T-5s are not cheap up front, but they are excellent lights. You can get the bulbs in what they call "soft white" that are not bad on your eyes at all. You can also add a diffuser that will help with that glare on some lights.
                      Here is a link to some nice ones, and with 35,000 hours life expentancy and 60% energy over metal halide they become cost effective over the long run:

I like the light the MH light puts out though, not neccesarily better than the T-5. Some people HATE flourescent, others like it. I think with the softer white bulbs they are great.

Comment

Another reason to look at an industrial used lighting source.
                        Most of them have 24-7 rated ballasts and are much more robust than a consumer oriented fluorescent light.
                        Heck.. I'd like LED's.... But reality is another thing altogether.
                        Jeff

Originally posted by comatus View Post
                        Careful with purchasing new versions of the good old fluorescent fixture. That light-bulb ban bans their ballasts. Refit gets expensive fast.

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post

I didn't mean to infer your work was cobbled. I waas referring to the concept of CASO, which conjures up images of Tiger Hair over rust holes, fiberglass cloth over floor rust, taped taillight lenses- that sort of thing. And I don't feel comfortable being CASO<G>

Good link, Kelly, I found that one last week in my travels. Part of the plan is to call a few places like that for a consult, and finally do as John said and visit with a local lighting place. Right now I'm on the first step of my plan, which is to educate myself as much as possible BEFORE I sit down with a salesman.

I did think skylights but there will be a flat ceiling; plus I'd rather not make any holes in the roof (possible leak points). Maybe some high windows on the side walls will help.

Good tips all!

BTW- here's the thread where I discussed this project just over a year ago: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ead-idea-stage
                          Proud NON-CASO

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

I hope you didn't...
                            But you are consistantly expressing your opinion of your description of CASO, and not everyone shares your version of that label.
                            Biggest problem with my shop is that I have not been in it much
                            Along those lines, I spent most of the fall sealing the shop up for winter...in prep for insulation.
                            Just sealing the cracks up made a huge difference.
                            There are a few places that need more lighting, too, like the parts aisles.
                            Lay them out first before you put up the lights.
                            Looking in the shadows for stuff on the shelves is a PITA.

I didn't mean to infer your work was cobbled. I waas referring to the concept of CASO
                            Originally Posted by DEEPNHOCK

I didn't mean to infer your work was cobbled. I waas referring to the concept of CASO

Jeff

Comment

Funny this subject would come up. I just started changing out my 4' 4 bulb T-12 fixtures with 4' 6 bulb T-5 fixtures and daylight bulbs. I just changed out the first one today and can't believe the difference in lighting. They are also more energy efficient, and the ballast will take 120 or 220 circuit without changing anything. My present lights will all be changed out to the T-5's and I will switch over to 220v circuit.
                              The man that owns City Electric had all his shops switch over to T5 fixtures due to the cost savings.
                              Oh yea, the 4' 6 bulb fixture and bulbs came to 162.00. These are called high bay fixtures due to the stainless reflectors that help thow out more light with higher ceilings. I'm sure you could find them a little cheaper but my electric shop guy will drop one at a time off at my place until I get them all changed out.
                              Last edited by Kdancy; 02-07-2012, 03:33 PM.
                              64 Champ long bed V8
                              55/53 Studebaker President S/R
                              53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

Comment

Working...
                              X