PDA

View Full Version : Avanti II Rad. cap?

dclewallen
06-28-2007, 05:10 PM
I have this 66 Avantoi II with a 327 Chevy engine and am in need of a radiator cap [its located in the top radiator hose]. None of the parts stores I've checked with [Advance and Auto Zone]list one. I was told the same cap fits 63-85 Avantis. Is the cap different from say a Chevy? What do I need to ask for? The car currently has a new cap that doesn't seal so I'm assuming its incorrect or defective. Please help!

Darryl C. Lewallen Clarkesville, Ga.

dclewallen
06-28-2007, 07:50 PM
What it had is the problem as the cap currently on the rad. is new and does not seal properly. I'm assuming its a wrong part and am hoping for a part number to take to my local parts store. They list Studebaker but when the actual part is looked up its unavailable. Really hoped some other application would be the same so I could get one get one before the weekend. Thanks,

Dick Steinkamp
06-28-2007, 08:04 PM
There are really only 2 types of modern (3/4" deep or 1" deep) radiator caps and really only one type for 60's on (3/4" deep).

There are choices within the two types depending on the pressure you want to run in the cooling system.

Try one for a mid 60's Chevy...7-12 pounds. I'll bet it works.

http://thenobot.org/images/s2d/s2d_01.jpg

dclewallen
06-29-2007, 01:15 PM
Thanks for the replies. I stopped by my local NAPA today and when I walked in I saw on their calender a Studebaker Hawk. When I asked about a rad. cap for my Avanti, they looked it up went to the rack, picked it out and handed it to me. Plus it was about three bucks. A good day!