PDA

View Full Version : vin #

cove
02-06-2012, 11:49 AM
I seem to be missing my VIN plate I have the plate with the body style on it. I was told it may be in one of the boxes, but haven't found it, if I don't find it what are my options?

royvaldez
02-06-2012, 12:05 PM
I am sure you will find it. However, you need to tell us what you have.

StudeRich
02-06-2012, 12:56 PM
If you have a 1952 or older model the Serial Number plate is or was on the driver's door rear pillar (B).

If your Car is a 1953 and newer should be on the (A) pillar, forward post.

royvaldez
02-06-2012, 01:53 PM
Rich, On 1952, the plate is located differently. Otherwise you are correct with 1947 to 1951.

Skip Lackie
02-06-2012, 01:54 PM
Your options depend on your state laws. In some states, it's relatively straightforward on old cars. In others, an inspection by the state police and a waiting period are required. You might get better info from someone who lives in New York.

cove
02-06-2012, 07:37 PM
it is a 1949 pick up

Retired
02-06-2012, 07:54 PM
The plate was mounted on the drivers side seat support. It's about 3 inches square. With luck some where on the frame the number was stamped into the steel. Might be faint after being exposed to the elements all thease years. The VIN, serial number, is actually the frame number..

Roscomacaw
02-06-2012, 08:05 PM
Stude trucks NEVER had a serial # on ther frame - only cars did. Furthermore, it's not a 3" square plate on an R-series truck - it's rectangular. It SHOULD BE beneath the end of ther seat bottom on the drivers side - visible as soon as you open the door. It's gonna be called a "Serial Number" - even tho the DMV calls it a VIN.

kmac530
02-07-2012, 12:17 AM
It is exactly as Roscomacaw said. I have a '49 and it is right there on that riser box that the seat sits on top of. When you open the door, if you were to step straight in on the inner foot step, your right toe would be touching it.
Mine says 2R108352. That means mine is a 2R10, or a 3/4 ton, with the serial number of 8352. If your truck is a half ton, yours should read 2R5XXXX
There is a second plate to the right of the serial number plate, on the door jamb area. So if you were standing the same way on your inner step, and you toe touches the serial number plate, your outter right ankle bone would be right at the Body Tag plate. That tag will have your paint color and body number and any trim package info.
I hope that helps.

Flashback
02-07-2012, 07:19 AM
My m5 and m15 both had a serial # on the frame. It was straight behind the left front wheel, on the side of the frame. It was an aluminum plate. I don't know about other models. The smaller of these two was on the frame.

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn320/Flashback53/firststudSFleetjack004.jpg

Skip Lackie
02-07-2012, 07:43 AM
M series trucks had their serial plates mounted on the frame. All R and E series trucks had theirs mounted on the step riser as described by Roscoemacaw.

WRT the original question. Options:
1. Buy a serial plate and title/bill of sale for a 49 2R5 from someone here. Not legal, but commonly done.
2. Buy a serial plate without a title (many people, including Roscoe, collect them) and use that serial number. Not strictly legal either, but closer. Get a bill of sale from the seller and process the paperwork through Broadway Title in Alabama. You will end up with an Alabama title for the truck in your name. Not cheap, and doesn't work in all states. Check with Broadway to see if NY will accept their paperwork. They will tell you up front. Entirely legal and hassle-free if NY will accept the Broadway paperwork.
3. Get a bill of sale. Check with the NY DMV to see what is required in your situation. There is a process in all states to address problems like this, but they vary from state to state. Might involve police inspection. They often try to find a secret serial number -- as Roscoe stated, there are none on Stude trucks. In some states, the DMV will issue a special serial plate that the police will rivet on the truck. Sometimes there's a waiting period before final paperwork is issued to allow the system to determine if the vehicle was stolen. NY no longer issues titles for vehicles this old -- the registration becomes the title. Absolutely legal, but a high hassle factor, and the title may say the make is "misc".

More info here:
http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/StudebakerTruckHistory.asp

studegary
02-07-2012, 12:41 PM
New York has NEVER issued a title for a pre-1973 vehicle. NY issues a registration that has a transfer section for pre-1973 vehicles.
For 1949 models, New York used the engine number, not the serial number, for a VIN. If your pickup has the original engine, you are in business. All of the paperwork should match. Many people have switched from engine number to serial number, particularly if the engine has been changed, for VIN.

cove
02-07-2012, 03:07 PM
I have the original engine it is not in it but I have it. here are the numbers on it
518448 4
C 6 22
1R40355

Skip Lackie
02-07-2012, 03:16 PM
The 1R serial number means it's a 169 cu in Champion 6. Do you have the registration card from the last year is was registered? If so, is that the serial/VIN on it?

cove
02-07-2012, 03:29 PM
have to check through the box's, I did find the plate that tells paint color and body number in a box.

Roscomacaw
02-07-2012, 04:06 PM
While we're keeping this shuttlecock in the air - I'd like to qualify my statement about trucks never having had serial numbers on their frames. While it's true that M and earler series had plates on the left, front frame rail, Studebaker never bothered with what's commonly (and erroneously) referred to as a "secret serial number" on later trucks as was the practice with later cars. A number literally stamped into one of the frame members as opposed to an attached plate. Surely no one would have assessed the rivet-fastrened frame rail plate as "secret".
Does anyone know if the stamped numbers were applied to Stude CARS before the use of the frame-mounted plates were dropped (early 40s)?

Since I'm too lazy to dig into the subject, does anyone know if and when other automakers started stamping Serial/VIN numbers on frame components as a backup method for identifying vehicles?

cove
04-11-2012, 05:22 PM
ok so I don't have the vin tag. I looked every where.
Does any one know where there is a 49 parts truck for sale that has a vin tag?
I found a 48 and a 54 but it would be nice to actually have it a 49.

CHIEF BLAZE
04-11-2012, 05:37 PM
Hi Cove:

Skip Lackie's post got me to thinking. I wonder if your truck has (or is it in the box) a license plate? If so, see if you can find a friendly neighborhood police person. If you ask nice, they might run the plate number for you. Most police data bases will show the identification (sometimes aka: vin) number associated with the vehicle. Assuming the plate comes back to your year/model of Studebaker, you are probably in business with a valid ID number. You may be able to apply for a lost title using that ID number and plate number.

No plate? If you are in contact with the prior owner, he/she might have an old registration card or even a plate somewhere.

Good Luck

Dick

cove
04-11-2012, 05:46 PM
unfortunately no plate and don't know the previous owner.

Roscomacaw
04-11-2012, 06:49 PM
Is this a 2R5 (half ton)? If so, I have a serial # plate for one that died ane went to the smelter YEARS ago. You can have it if you'llk use it.

cove
04-12-2012, 03:42 AM
yes it is.

Roscomacaw
04-12-2012, 09:54 AM
OK.

The tag I'm offering is for a 2R5-12 #R5-61439 which is for a later edition of 2R5 - '51 or '52

Roscomacaw
04-12-2012, 09:56 AM
BTW...... I've got some pretty decent 2R6 tags and others (including some M series) that might help someone.