Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tail housing/output shaft change on an automatic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: Tail housing/output shaft change on an automatic?

I got my hands on a later 59 ( I think) BW automatic and would like to change the output shaft/tail housing (long aluminum tailhousing) to one (short) that was from a 58 transtar, to be reinstalled in the transtar....

Does anyone have any Ideas? Tips, pictures? The truck manual doesn't seem to help much.
    Pm if you'd like...

You would need to compare the '59 to '64 Car Chassis Parts Catalog detail parts breakdown Picture to the same in the Truck Parts Catalog, to know which parts have to be swapped over to the long tail Trans. from the short tail Truck unit to install in your Truck.

Myself I would never do this. Here is why, your Transtar Truck Trans. is a Heavy Duty Unit with Oil Cooling and Low Gear Start, so it has a different main case, I would want to keep that.

The Car Trans. unless it is some rare Taxi Unit, Golden Hawk, or in the case of the Low gear start only, a 6 Cyl. Transmission, it would have a Second Gear start and be inferior to the one you have.

The better, easier, cheaper method would be to re-build your existing unit.
    Maybe if just Clutch Drums, clutches and Bands were weak in your's, just those pieces could be swapped, either way it requires complete disassembly of both.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 02-06-2012, 12:57 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

To: Mrs K Corbin,---------- To answer Your Question what Your contemplating can be done and really without too much effort. Everything comes off the rear of both cases, although the pans have to be dropped
      to access the rear oil pump outlet tube. There's an end play adjustment ahead of the output shaft controlled by a thrust type washer.

Comment

Yup, tore down the parts tranny last night, pretty easy, except the valve body and associated piping have to come off for the other tube....
        Other than that, not bad...
        I've got a transmission man that's going to install my parts in the other unit. Hopefully I can get the ol Transtar up on it's wobbly legs in the next few weeks...

gonna bomb around in it this year, and next year the restoration begins!

Comment

Tailstock is done! Tranny is in!

Comment

Working...
          X