Observation/Opinion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Observation/Opinion

As a rule, at Studebaker events, are there less 61 Larks (four door, Deluxes), six cylinder, automatic cars compared to other Larks? It seems most Larks out there are V8's. Just wondering.
    David G. Nittler

Originally posted by drnittler View Post
    As a rule, at Studebaker events, are there less 61 Larks (four door, Deluxes), six cylinder, automatic cars compared to other Larks? It seems most Larks out there are V8's. Just wondering.
    I don't know the real numbers, but it seems to me that there are about as many sixes as there are eights. Someone with the productions numbers will post I'm sure.
    Chip
    '63 Cruiser
    '57 Packard wagon
    '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
    '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

I have noticed the same; I think it's because many 6 cylinder Larks met there demise becoming parts cars for the more desirable models.
      Dylan Wills
      Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
      1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
      1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
      1914 Ford Model T

Comment

Also consider that the V8s can travel the roads better to go to these meets than the 6s can.
        sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

In 1961, the first year for the OHV Six, Lark production (From the Standard Catalog of American Cars) added up by model and broken down by engine is as follows:

Sixes - 41,072
          Eights - 25,513

1960, the year of my Lark, and the last year for the Flathead Six, things went like this:

Sixes - 65,013
          Eights - 57,173

Pretty clear that across all models, dealers probably stocked more sixes for the price advantage. The OHV Six in '61 increased the six cylinder's share of the business pretty notably.

On survival rates today, there's no doubt more eights were probably pampered. I've also seen some six cylinder cars changed to eights by owners.

Makes sense. In 1960 with the flathead, my Six Cylinder Convertible gets the same mileage as a V8, and doesn't have the performance the V8 has. We don't race or do hill climbs with our Lark, so the six serves us well. Might have a different opinion if I lived in a big city or around mountains. The V8 convertible outsold the Six convertible in 1960 (5,464 V8 to 3,107 Sixes). In 1961, it was pretty close to half and half (1,002 V8 to 979 Sixes).

I've never owned one, but the OHV Six definitely made the six a little more attractive to some.

Comment

I started all this because a friend and I were talking. I seem to have a nack of getting cars that are less seen than others.
            David G. Nittler

Comment

One would also wonder how many OHV six cars were junked because of cracked heads back when they were just used cars.
              "In the heart of Arkansas."
              Searcy, Arkansas
              1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
              1952 2R pickup

Comment

Production figures are a place to start. Survival rates today depend on whether someone in the past decided to pamper the car.

No doubt, a V8 car is more attractive than the sixes. And, as it was said above, Studebaker had problems with the OHV Six launch out of the gate.

It's just like Chevy Novas. My parents and my grandparents both had ones with "250" (six cylinder) above the front sidemarker lights. Those "250" plates were more the rule than the exception back in the '70's. Today, looking at Preserved and Restored Novas, you'd think you could only buy a "350" Nova back in the day!

Comment

This is typical of most cars from the 50's-70's. As a rule the 6's outside the 8's and 4-doors outsold 2-doors, but most people in this hobby prefer the V-8's and the 2-doors so more of them are saved.
                  Last edited by irish; 02-06-2012, 07:39 AM.
                  sigpic

1962 Daytona
                  1964 Cruiser
                  And a few others

Comment

Originally posted by drnittler View Post
                    I started all this because a friend and I were talking. I seem to have a nack of getting cars that are less seen than others.
                    Just by owning a Studebaker you have a car less seen than others!

Joe
                    sigpic

1962 Daytona
                    1964 Cruiser
                    And a few others

Comment

Originally posted by irish View Post
                      Just by owning a Studebaker you have a car less seen than others!Joe
                      That's IT exactly, Studebakers ARE Special already, so why not show off the better looking models? I know probably most of our Members feel about it the same way I do, but certainly not all.

My opinion is that I want to promote Studebakers every way I can, so I want to be seen driving the best looking, top of the line models with the most Stock power and nice sounding duals that I can afford.

So that is why I don't own a Scotsman or want bottom of the line models, or care much about driving the 2 "6" Cyl. Vehicles out of 20 or so V-8's I have.
                      StudeRich
                      Second Generation Stude Driver,
                      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

The Stude Eight was a much better motor than the OHV Six from what I've read and heard. Even Consumer Reports in the early 1960's implicitly stated that a 259 was the better choice: not only was it much more powerful than the Six, it returned better MPG, at least on the highway due to much lower numeric gears.
                        --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Also consider that the V8s can travel the roads better to go to these meets than the 6s can.
                          Excuse me?
                          The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Did you pass wind or something<g>
                            sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Working...
                            X