Need help with production order copy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with production order copy

I received my copy of the production order for my 1948 Champion 7G Starlight Coupe.
    A few questions arise.
    1. Engine No. is 41023 on the PO. On the engine it is 412043.
    According to the SDC Engine number table it should fall in the 342,001 to 441,000 range, which the actual engine number does.
    What was the last date of production of 1948 Champions?
    This car's final assembly date was 8-26-48.
    It looks like this was at or near the end of the production run.
    Last question, does anyone know the name of the dealer in Anderson, IN at that time.
    Thanks for your help.

The production order is below.
    This seems to be a very stripped down car as it has only WW and OD listed. The car is very nicely equipped with push button radio, antenna, Climatizer, jeweled ornaments on the front fenders, trunk light, oil filter and directional signals.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by 9echo; 02-05-2012, 04:14 PM.

Jim, I wouldn't worry about the engine number. I'm sure it's a typo as that is not an actual copy of the original P.O. anyway.

I wouldn't necessarily blame the Studebaker National Museum for making the error, either. It could have been made on the original document as well and they simply (and would have correctly) given you the exact information on the original document.

Ted Harbit bought a new 1957 Silver Hawk from the Studebaker dealer in Anderson IN, so he will hopefully post as to who it was. He wasn't at all happy with that dealer, either, so he bought his next (and last) new Studebaker, a 1962 4-speed Hawk, in Indianapolis! BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Thanks, Bob. I have original invoices for Fords from 1946 through 1959, and find this to be a bit on the skimpy side.

Comment

One reason it may seem 'skimpy' is that the car itself is a top-of-the-line model to begin with. That's pretty much the same way the 'ole man ordered all the family Studebakers. It does seem odd that a car destined for Indiana was not equipped with a Climatizer though.
        If I paid for a production order and found an error like that engine number, I would contact the museum and ask them to check it again.
        Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

According to Bob Johnstone's pages there were 3 Anderson Indiana Dealers as follows:

Russ Regnold's Motors, \ 1222 Pendleton,\ Anderson, IN (C 1937)
          Studebaker Sales & Service, \ 914 Jackson,\ Anderson, IN (C 1932)
          Walter Duckwall, \ 2520 Main,\ Anderson, IN (C 1942)

Of course there may be more yet to be discovered.
          John Clements
          Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

If I paid for a production order and found an error like that engine number, I would contact the museum and ask them to check it again.

Me, too, Dwain. Mistakes happen, but you pay top-dollar for a production order; it ought to be correct and complete.
            Bill Pressler
            Kent, OH
            (formerly Greenville, PA)
            Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
            Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
            1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
            1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
            All are in Australia now

Comment

9echo - Your 1948 is technically not a "Starlight Coupe". It is a 5 passenger coupe. They are now referred to as Starlight coupes.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Pressler View Post
                If I paid for a production order and found an error like that engine number, I would contact the museum and ask them to check it again. Me, too, Dwain. Mistakes happen, but you pay top-dollar for a production order; it ought to be correct and complete.
                It is my understanding that SNM errors are not possible as to the details on the Production Orders.

The old copies we used to get much cheaper from Newman & Altman were produced on the original machines by loading original blanks into them. Then they had to COPY the data (type it in) from the original which of course COULD have it's own errors, but then they could compound the issue by making more errors of their own.

These were MUCH better multiple copy forms, BUT had the possibility of this issue happening.

NOW, they simply COPY the original onto their letterhead blank pages, so you should get the right info, IF they got the Serial Number correct.

Does anyone know that this is NOT the case?
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Rich, '59 and earlier production orders are on microfilm, so the museum does reproduce the data on a form (note the stylized font on the OP's production order). '60 and later production orders are simply photocopied from the original paper document.
                  Bill Pressler
                  Kent, OH
                  (formerly Greenville, PA)
                  Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
                  Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
                  1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
                  1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
                  All are in Australia now

Comment

9 echo...Are you sure this engine is the original or could the original have been replaced at some time. I suppose it could be a mistake but uummmm..probably not likely.

Comment

According to SDC engine number list the number on the PO would be for a 1940 2G 164" engine. I do not think they would go back in the parts room for that engine for this car. I have no way to tell if this is the original engine.
                      Interesting problem. As long as it runs well, I will be happy.

Comment

In yesterdays mail I received another PO. This one has the engine number that matches the car.
                        I had emailed the museum about the difference the day after I posted the above, pointing out the odd engine number.
                        I am quite happy to have the correct PO.

Comment

The SNM museum comes thru! I think having the POs available is awesome, and the price is reasonable considering that Studebaker has been out of business for a long time!

Comment

having the purchase order for your car is a wonderful thing. in my case, everything i thought to be true about my car was true, EXCEPT that the car originally had power steering. whomever converted it to manual steering did such a thorough job that i would never guessed without the PO.
                            61 lark cruiser
                            64 daytona 2dr hardtop

Comment

Working...
                            X