Wheel Size Clarification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel Size Clarification

Need some clarification please. It appears that 14" wheels were 1st avbailable ( std or optional) on most '58 Studebaker and Packard models. What I cannot decipher is when, or if, 14" wheels were no longer available. It seems perhaps it is '61, but not clear. Anyone care to enlighten me? Thanks, Dan

Originally posted by CarCrosswordDan View Post
    Anyone care to enlighten me?
    My understanding is that '58 is the one and only year in which 14" wheels were used on Studebakers and Packards as standard equipment. However- Scotsman cars used 15" wheels no matter what. The 15" wheels were optional on the others.

I may be wrong, and you can count on me being corrected if that is the case...
    StudeDave '57
    US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
    SDC Member since 1985

past President
    Whatcom County Chapter SDC
    San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
    San Diego Chapter SDC
    North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

What Dave said, but to clarify:

Here's the easiest way to remember what cars got 15" wheels standard in 1958:

All the sixes got 15" wheels, period. Scotsmans, Champions, Silver Hawk sixes, etc., you name it; they got 15s.

I believe you could order 14" as an option on Champions and Silver Hawk sixes, but not on Scotsmans.

Further, 15" remained optional on cars that had 14" standard. For example, check Page 26 of the September 2007 Turning Wheels. Therein, you'll discover that 97 of the 858 1958 Golden Hawks built, had the 15" wheel option; well over 10%. (I know that's right because I helped Cousin George examine all 858 1958 Golden Hawk production orders to glean that information!) BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Thanks Bob, what I was having difficuly with was whether any of the Larks or GT Hawks had 14s, as well as clarification on the earlier models. Think you've cleared it up for me. As always, appreciate your responses. Dan

Comment

Bob, just found some information that indicates all '59 Larks and all '59 Silver Hawks were standard with 14s. It also indicates that 15s could be ordered on the Hawk but says nothing avout 15' availability on '59 Larks. Do you suspect that is incorrect information? Thanks, Dan

Comment

Bob, just found some information that indicates all '59 Larks and all '59 Silver Hawks were standard with 14s. It also indicates that 15s could be ordered on the Hawk but says nothing avout 15' availability on '59 Larks. Do you suspect that is incorrect information? Thanks, Dan
            Your info is wrong. 1958 was the ONLY year for 14s.
            Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
            '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

What Paul Johnson said. That information is simply wrong. BP

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                What Dave said, but to clarify:

Here's the easiest way to remember what cars got 15" wheels standard in 1958:

All the sixes got 15" wheels, period. Scotsmans, Champions, Silver Hawk sixes, etc., you name it; they got 15s.

I believe you could order 14" as an option on Champions and Silver Hawk sixes, but not on Scotsmans.

Further, 15" remained optional on cars that had 14" standard. For example, check Page 26 of the September 2007 Turning Wheels. Therein, you'll discover that 97 of the 858 1958 Golden Hawks built, had the 15" wheel option; well over 10%. (I know that's right because I helped Cousin George examine all 858 1958 Golden Hawk production orders to glean that information!) BP
                14 inch were standard on 1958 Packards. 15 inch were NOT optional on any of the four models of 1958 Packards.
                My supporting reference document is the 1958 "Salesman's Data Book" PD 8006.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                  14 inch were standard on 1958 Packards. 15 inch were NOT optional on any of the four models of 1958 Packards.
                  My supporting reference document is the 1958 "Salesman's Data Book" PD 8006.
                  Correct. Reference was to Studebakers only, not 1958 Packards. ('Didn't even notice the Packard reference in the original post!) BP

Comment

Bob & 53K, thanks, that not surprising as I've found many other mistakes in said information source. Thanks Again, Dan

Comment

Working...
                    X