M5 truck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M5 truck

I'm a newbie to this web site and am hoping someone can point me in the right direction for pricing a 1948 Studebaker m5 truck. My great uncles truck is being offered to my family and we have no idea what a fair price would be. It hasn't run since 1964. the body is in real nice shape. Its been in a garage for the last 25 years and prior to that a horse barn. I wish I could post a picture. I will figure that out later. Thanks for any help you can give us.

As is the case when you price any item, condition is the overriding factor. Based on your brief description and a lack of pictures the price could fall within a very wide range. When considering the price of a restorable vehicle the paramount concern is the condition of the sheet metal. On a M-5 the areas of concern would be the cab corners, the area above the windshield (mice leave nests and urine which will create rust), the floors, the fenders (which are interchangeable to opposite corners) the front edge of the hood, the bed floor, the tailgate and the grilles (especially the center section).

Is the engine free? If not you need to factor in a rebuild, you will need new tires and brakes, the wiring is probably shot and a new interior may be called for. Get some clear pictures from all angles (you can post to a Photobucket album and link to it here) and we will give you an idea on what it might be worth.

Comment

M5 trucks have become the darling of Studebaker trucks just behind the '37-'39 Coupe Express.
      Sounds like the truck is offered as part of an estate?
      Not run in forty-eight years? As Gary indicated, without photos and detailed description of condition, can't be worth less than ? or more than ?.

If posting pictures on the Forum is an issue, email them to one of us and we can post them for you.
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I'll take a stab at it.

If the truck is rust free, if the engine is not stuck, if it is complete, I'd say maybe $2-4k.
        Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

48 years? It is seized for sure. 2K max
          1947 M5 under restoration
          a bunch of non-Stude stuff

Comment

Thank you to all who responded. Eventually I will post pictures.

Comment

Ok I tink I got 1 photo to post to my profile. I will try more later

Comment

James, In todays hot truck market its hard to say what anything is actualy worth. I think if a person likes the truck its worth what he or she is willing and abel to pay. however the value of anything should be measured by what other like, kind, and quality are selling for. hemmings and other publications have listings of sold cars and what the avarage value is. my advice is to do your homework first then look at what you are willing to pay also remember its what the seller is willing to take. don't be afraid to negotiate the deal...Just my openion.... Good luck .....John
                Last edited by john mullen; 02-05-2012, 09:27 AM. Reason: script

Comment

Working...
                X