• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1963 Avanti

Wanted a turn signal switch for a 63
    Avanti Prefer a nos switch but a working one acceptable

Joe Parsons

Do you need the turn signal switch or the cancel? They're different pieces and Studebaker International carries both. Other vendors like Myer's Studebaker and Nostalgic Motors probably have them as well.
    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

1963 Avanti turn signal switch

Having no brake lights and replaced the stop switch I am thinking it must be the Turn signal switch . I DO HAVE TURN SIGNAL LIGHTS

Joe Parsons

Comment

Do the brake lights come on if you "short" the switch terminals? If so, the new switch is not working or making contact.

Comment

Avanti brake lights

Originally posted by WCP View Post
          Do the brake lights come on if you "short" the switch terminals? If so, the new switch is not working or making contact.
          I tried shorting out the terminals on the stop switch and the lights did not come on Does this mean I have a turn signal problem

Joe Parsons

Comment

It could be something silly, like a broken fillament. I would jiggle the bulbs , I've seen em both burn out at the same time, but it's rare.
            Some chrysler turnsignal switches interchange. However the color codes of the wires were different, and ,with inflation and the passing of time, are probably more expensive than the correct part from your friendly Studebaker parts vendor.
            That's the biggest problem with interchanges. The supposed vehicle it interchanges with, is more rare than the original part.
            Bez Auto Alchemy
            573-318-8948
            http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

I think you should be able to verify the dir'n signal switch functionality by disconnecting and shorting the appropriate 2 terminals at the junction where the wires come out of the steering column under the dash. I'm saying this without studying the wiring diagram. This you should do to identify the correct wires.
              Before you do this, short the terminals on the brake switch, and then move the dir'n switch back and forth to see if it makes any contact. Also wiggle all the wires and connections associated with the brake circuit and fuse panel, watching for a flicker of brake light. As a last resort, look at the signal switch. Good luck.

Comment

After looking at the wiring diagram, the 2 wires to the switch, that the switch completes, are the red with white trace and the black wire. However, have you verified that the brake light fuse is valid? If it is burnt, then you need to be careful. Replace the fuse before proceeding with any further diagnosis. If it goes again, then you have a short in the circuit. Remove the 2 wires from the junction at the steering column. Replace the fuse again and then short the 2 terminals where the wires were removed. If the brake lights work, then the dir'n switch is the culprit. If the fuse goes again, then the short is elsewhere in the wiring.
                It is possible the have a short of the wires in the steering column channel, but that is unlikely unless they were removed at some time and poorly re-installed. Can't think of anything else at the moment. Good hunting!

Comment

To: 58Hawk,----- Did You lose your stop lights all of a sudden, or have they been out for some time? (Has car been sitting?)

GO PATRIOTS!!

Comment

Originally posted by WCP View Post
                    After looking at the wiring diagram, the 2 wires to the switch, that the switch completes, are the red with white trace and the black wire. However, have you verified that the brake light fuse is valid? If it is burnt, then you need to be careful. Replace the fuse before proceeding with any further diagnosis. If it goes again, then you have a short in the circuit. Remove the 2 wires from the junction at the steering column. Replace the fuse again and then short the 2 terminals where the wires were removed. If the brake lights work, then the dir'n switch is the culprit. If the fuse goes again, then the short is elsewhere in the wiring.
                    It is possible the have a short of the wires in the steering column channel, but that is unlikely unless they were removed at some time and poorly re-installed. Can't think of anything else at the moment. Good hunting!
                    all of what "wcp" said! i had bad wire shorting out between the turn signal switch and the junction inside the steering wheel column.

and as with all avanti electrical problems, check your grounds!!!
                    Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Big blue kicked ne ass!!
                      Originally posted by sn-60 View Post
                      to: 58hawk,----- did you lose your stop lights all of a sudden, or have they been out for some time? (has car been sitting?)

go patriots!!

Comment

Working...
                      X