LS1 placement today in 56 Golden Hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LS1 placement today in 56 Golden Hawk

Kent Stauffer, KS Custom Rods, of LaGrange, Ohio is doing all the mechanicals on this redo. He has the motor set in position to begin fabricating the mounts. She fits like a glove, sitting 4 inches further back than did the 352, for better front to rear weight distribution. As seen in the first photo the original mounts have been eliminated . The plate the mounts attach to, will be welded to the inner frame rail as well to the backside of the cross member, for a much stronger result than if only welded to the inner frame rail.

Next step is mounting the hanging brake pedal, power brake booster and dual master cylinder supplied by Slick Street Stuff.
    Attached Files

Very nice Mike,

Looking at those pics it amazes me how similar different stude models were, looks a lot like my 52.

Your doin a great job there!
    I just finished my brakes m/c kit (Turner) and I was really happy with it.

Dean.

Comment

Originally posted by mike super View Post
      She fits like a glove, sitting 4 inches further back than did the 352, for better front to rear weight distribution.
      I doubt you will have any front to rear weight issues, unless the rear ends up too heavy.
      With the all aluminum LSx engine vs the 352, you must be shedding 100s of pounds off
      the nose. It does look like its a little high in the pictures though, what is the relationship
      of the crank centerline vs a Studebaker V8?

Tom
      '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
      Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
      http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
      I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Now if you can disguise that ugly engine with some pretty Packard Valve covers, you'd have something!
        Looks great .....someone is having too much fun.
        Bez Auto Alchemy
        573-318-8948
        http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

It does look like its a little high in the pictures though, what is the relationship
          of the crank centerline vs a Studebaker V8?
          We measured it today Tom....within a 1/4 inch in my stock 56 Golden Hawk with Packard 352...
          Last edited by mike super; 02-03-2012, 07:02 PM.

Comment

.....someone is having too much fun.
            We certainly are enjoying the process. Look forward to the first time behinf the wheel.....

Comment

Too bad the Studebaker engineers couldn't have placed the 352 a bit further back in the chassis. I'm sure if it was practical, They would have. All-in-all, a very interesting factory conversion.

Comment

Too bad the Studebaker engineers couldn't have placed the 352 a bit further back in the chassis[
                The 352 block is 2 inches longer than the LS block. They could have moved it back maybe 2 inches but did not, as we studied the position in the compartment. We used the amount of space they didn't in our placement. Couple that with the added length and we have the 4 inches we had hoped for. We are using rack and pinion steering unit by Flaming River. It is not power. I am after the feel of the road. Rene Harger's bolt on IFS is now using hurricane springs with adjustable PAL coilovers....a far better set up with these updated components. In addition am using a 215 x 75 michelin radials with new OEM wheels with 3 1/2 inch backspace.

Comment

We measured it today Tom....within a 1/4 inch in my stock 56 Golden Hawk with Packard 352...
                  Thats why I said Studebaker V8, I could swear my 1960 Hawks V8 sat lower than that..... maybe
                  someone can give you a measurement to check.

We are using rack and pinion steering unit by Flaming River. It is not power. I am after the feel of the road. Rene Harger's bolt on IFS is now using hurricane springs with adjustable PAL coilovers....a far better set up with these updated components. In addition am using a 215 x 75 michelin radials with new OEM wheels with 3 1/2 inch backspace.
                  What front suspension is this?

Tom
                  '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                  Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                  http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
                  I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

I hope it's everything you dream of, I'm sure many will wonder how it handles and holds up being attached to the stock frame. And an interesting adaptation of the flaming river MustangII rack.

It looks like you'll have no problem choosing headers/manifolds (plenty of room) and that oil pan has plenty of clearance as well.

The LS is that a 99/2001? Gm sure did make many changes on them. Mines an 04.
                    Last edited by 4961Studebaker; 02-03-2012, 08:10 PM.
                    61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

The LS is that a 99/2001?
                      This one is an 05 or 06.....

Comment

Tom.....It is a Slick Street Stuff bolt on IfS with front discs and rack pinion steering.

Comment

Since helping my friend rebuild the LS engine in his 05 pickup, and seeing how light it was on the engine stand compared to the Stude V8's I have had on it, I have been considering doing the LS swap. Add an overdrive tranny to it and the mileage should be pretty decent, and drivability without PS improved.
                          64 Champ long bed V8
                          55/53 Studebaker President S/R
                          53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

Comment

Since helping my friend rebuild the LS engine in his 05 pickup, and seeing how light it was on the engine stand compared to the Stude V8's I have had on it, I have been considering doing the LS swap. Add an overdrive tranny to it and the mileage should be pretty decent, and drivability without PS improved.
                            I have attached photo's of the 5.3 Vortec truck motors I use in my Packards during the refitting process. The one in the photo's are of a 2/4 rumbleseat 32 coupe. The motor you worked on is not ALL aluminum....just the heads are ....while the intake is plastic. The 5.3's are 85# lighter than a small block which is another 80-100# lighter than a 352 Packard motor. The transmissions used in the LS motor is about 60# less than the ultramatic. The 5.3 cast iron block is 105# heavier than the 5.7 all aluminum LS1's. All these weight benefits and other features and benefits of this powertrain made my decision to go forward with this placement.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for posting the photos of your progress and please keep them coming. I am getting set to install an LS1 & 4L60E in my '54 Commander so I am very interesting in the details of what you do. It appears you are using the same transmission. Were there any transmission to tunnel interference issues? I would be interested know what headers and differential you use.

Comment

Working...
                              X