Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dana 44 posi/limited slip ,what did you use??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dana 44 posi/limited slip ,what did you use??

So I have this flanged model 44. It is a 373 non twin track. So I am thinking a lunch box locker (replaces the spider gears and such and makes open rear ends like a locked rear but it ratchets when going around a corner) Every tech guy says the horsepower and torque level I am at (365 hp @ rear wheels)will grenade the lunch box units. Also finding almost no after market support for posi units for 27 spline axles. What a crock....
    So I ask what have any of you used after market and where did you get it?

What engine/tranny combo are you running with this? I was thinking around 300HP was the limit for a Dana 44.

Joe
    sigpic

1962 Daytona
    1964 Cruiser
    And a few others

Comment

400 CI small block McKinnen with a Weiand 142 series supercharger,TH350 .

Comment

a picture...
        Attached Files

Comment

Once you get to that level of horsepower, have one of the 4x4 shops build you a unit with parts they know and trust. The Moser/Currie axles aren't that much more than those from Fairborn (made by Moser?) and you can get any spline count. These 4X4 shops build Dana 44s every day for the Ford/Chevy/Jeep off-roaders who use the Danas in 4000#-5000# trucks. They know how to beef them.

Then, to help defray the cost, sell your 27-spline flanged axle unit to some Stude engined guy who won't have enough horsepower to grenade it.
          jack vines
          PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
            Then, to help defray the cost, sell your 27-spline flanged axle unit to some Stude engined guy who won't have enough horsepower to grenade it.
            jack vines
            LOL Jack,you might loose some popularity points with that sentence!

Comment

I doubt the 27 spline axles will hold up to your HP. But as Jack said, Currie is here in Orange Co. Ca. and have built me 2 diffs and they know their stuff. They can easily build a 44 that can handle well over 400hp and likely do it using your axle housing. Or just go all the way and put in a Currie 9" and as Jack said sell off the 44 to fellow member who wants a flanged axle unit.

Comment

Originally posted by kmac530 View Post
                I doubt the 27 spline axles will hold up to your HP. But as Jack said, Currie is here in Orange Co. Ca. and have built me 2 diffs and they know their stuff. They can easily build a 44 that can handle well over 400hp and likely do it using your axle housing. Or just go all the way and put in a Currie 9" and as Jack said sell off the 44 to fellow member who wants a flanged axle unit.
                I agree Currie 9" and spend the extra hundred bucks and get an air locker set up.
                Don't know that much about it yet but thats what I'm looking into.

The rear end on my car has been the biggest hurdle to get over, Its all about money !

Dean.

Comment

Working...
                X