Is this a Stock engine mount?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this a Stock engine mount?

Got a call a couple of days ago that the remains of the Packard Hawk will be heading to China. George saved the rear window regulators and door flippers, other than that.. Nothing is worth getting.

The car has one engine mount on it. It doesn't look "right" to any of us. Is it stock and we're just dumb, or is it something else?

The Engine Mount (Insulator) is correct for all V-8's '53 to '64 except R3 Engines.

You are correct, 1545066 and 067 BOTH Left AND Right Brackets are peculiar to '58L-K ONLY!

The Engine Mount BRACKET looks odd to me because I cannot see the LH and RH Control holes and the 6 Cyl. and V-8 Mount holes, since it is 58L-K only that explains it.

I guess there were no RH Control Packard Hawks built or they used other means to clear the Steering Gear, or maybe they are covered by the Engine Mount.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 02-02-2012, 02:30 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Here's a picture of the "normal" C/K mounts for reference:
      Attached Files
      Scott Rodgers
      Los Angeles
      SDC Member since 1989
      \'60 Lark HT
      \'63 Wagonaire
      \'66 Frankenbaker

Comment

No idea about the metal bracket part, but the rubber insulator mount looks just like the ones on my Oscar, and the new ones I just got from SI in my engine kit + stuff.

Comment

That mount looks stock stanard to me but I bet the rubber is hard as a rock after all this time.

\"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER\"
          MELBOURNE.

Comment

Matt,

I am glad to hear the door flippers were saved. I was going to comment on one of the pix you had up earlier that the one visible on the passenger side looked like it was not all mangled like they often get. But, I forgot....

Jeff in ND

Comment

I think the question becomes why did Studebaker use that style bracket only on the Packard Hawk? (if that truly is the case)-----interesting!

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                I think the question becomes why did Studebaker use that style bracket only on the Packard Hawk? (if that truly is the case)-----interesting!
                That's what we're wondering. It is definitely made to fit there, but doesn't look anything like a stock Hawk mount. Did Packard Hawks have a special mount so that the engine sat in a different location?

Comment

Just a guess but remember the front nose clip and how do you let that engine breath....... move it forward and let it catch air from beneath
                  It is an addiction!

Comment

The odd frame bracket on Your Packard hawk frame looks to Me to be completely flat, while the normal c-k frame brackets have a raised area towards the rear. I don't pretend to know for sure, but perhaps the PH Engines
                    were mounted slightly lower in the chassis because of clearance issues upstairs? 'PACKARDHAWK58'....WHERE ARE YOU?

Comment

Packard Hawk Only Engine Mount Brackets

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                      "You are correct, 1545066 and 067 BOTH Left AND Right Brackets are peculiar to '58L-K ONLY!"
                      Ah, the answer to the mystery is way back here in post Number 2! Why are we still discussing it, different is DIFFERENT! Yes part of the difference is lower, and no optional 6 Cyl. engine holes.
                      StudeRich
                      Second Generation Stude Driver,
                      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Sorry Rich, I didn't see that.. Thanks! I'll make sure it's saved before the car goes to China. Too bad the right side mount is missing.

Comment

The question remains--------- What was it about the construction of the Packard Hawk that required a different frame-to-engine bracket than other c-k's? 'different-is- different' is a poor answer!

Comment

To: mbstude,------ Too bad that right side mount is missing. I would have liked to have seen it.

Comment

I have one of those "insulators ", looks to be unused in a bucket in my garage.

If you want it its yours.

Dean.

Comment

Working...
                              X