Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Six 1966 Avanti IIs to Barcelona, Spain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Six 1966 Avanti IIs to Barcelona, Spain?

Yep. From Pure Stock Muscle Car Drag Race announcer and friend Diego Rosenberg.

Scroll down to Post #164 on this page. (It's not far; the first post on this page is #151):

(BTW, lots of other cool old car photos to see there as well. Sorry it's in Spanish!) BP
    Last edited by BobPalma; 02-01-2012, 07:12 PM.
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Last edited by 8E45E; 02-01-2012, 06:49 PM.

Comment

Excellent, Craig; thanks. I would suppose they are being trucked to a dock on the U. S.' east coast, eh?

(I wouldn't have guessed that six Avanti IIs would be sent to Barcelona at all, much less at the same time!)

Interesting. BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Whoa!!!!

BP~ You had me scared for a second there.
        I know for fact that Avanti number ONE is here in the States.
        And so is Avanti number TWO...

In fact- BOTH of them are here in Washington State.

Might I recommend changing the title of this thread to reflect that you are referring to Avanti IIs...?
        Last edited by StudeDave57; 02-01-2012, 06:52 PM.
        StudeDave '57
        US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
        SDC Member since 1985

past President
        Whatcom County Chapter SDC
        San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
        San Diego Chapter SDC
        North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

I too raced to the post two times and then noticed it was about the Avanti II.

Comment

Originally posted by StudeDave57 View Post
            BP~ You had me scared for a second there.
            I know for fact that Avanti number ONE is here in the States.
            And so is Avanti number TWO...

In fact- BOTH of them are here in Washington State.

Might I recommend changing the title of this thread to reflect that you are referring to Avanti IIs...?
            Goodness, Dave; 'didn't mean to initiate a cardiac arrest! <GGG>

(Duly noted and title changed.) BP

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
              Excellent, Craig; thanks. I would suppose they are being trucked to a dock on the U. S.' east coast, eh?

(I wouldn't have guessed that six Avanti IIs would be sent to Barcelona at all, much less at the same time!)

Interesting.
              Google Translate is your friend! (It's not 100% perfect, but it works.)

Craig

Comment

The third photo of an Avanti II is a later car than discussed in the story...it has the battering ram safety bumpers. I think they didn't come with them until '73 or so. If that is a photo taken in Spain then cars were being exported there even later as well.

The sign on the car carrier that says "First 6 New Avanti II's to Barcelona, Spain" can be taken several ways. It could mean the first Avanti II's being exported...to Spain or anywhere outside of the country, the first exported just to Spain, or the first six Avanti II's which is unlikely as at least a few of the first Avanti II's are accounted for in the membership roster, plus RQA001 is owned by Nostalgic Motors last I heard.

I suspect it's most likely the first Avanti II's exported to Spain or even advertising hyperbole. In the membership roster there's a big gap in accounted for '66 cars. Those Avantis must fall in there somewhere. Some could even be 1965 production as some may have been titled for '66 if they didn't get sold until then.
                Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Working...
                X