Anybody else notice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody else notice?

Anybody else notice you can't hardly find actual studebaker parts listed on Ebay anymore? Looks like there should be some way to keep these guys from cluttering up the site with page after page after page of aftermarket garbage parts that they list as fitting Studebakers and in most cases aren't for Studebakers at all????? Seems like there used to be 6 or 8 pages to go through and now there are 32. Do a search for 1951 Studebaker and you will see what I mean.
    I am upset
    Last edited by redbullet; 01-31-2012, 03:00 PM.

Same thing got my attention recently. Try this temporary aid.

Over in the left hand column, there's a section when in Parts and Accessories that has check boxes for New, Used, and Not Specified. Click Used. Look. Then go back and click Not Specified. These two searches will make all the car covers and neon underbody lights go away.

May not be perfect, and some of what we consider good parts listed as new may get lost. But at least it makes the search look somewhat normal.

After being off eBay for months due to job tensions and insecurity and lack of time, all the changes knocked me for a loop too when I went to look for a fuel pump for my Road Runner. I'm sure eBay will be forced to do something about the situation you point out eventually. Either that, or listers will have to make sure they put it in the right condition category from now on.

Comment

You can type "1951 Studebaker XXX{needed part name} - car cover - brake line - neon"

Those are the minus keys not a hyphen. It will minus the items you want out...not perfect, but helps with this ridiculous marketing ploy.

Comment

As a seller on Ebay I am concerned about this as well. There is a way around it. I have listed below the most egregious sellers of the aftermarket junk.

carpartswholesale,partsamerican,petes_auto_data,greghire1,carpartscanada,oldtime parts.com,brakeoutlet,usapowerseller,luchonota,old.parts,so-cal_speed_shop,ice_scrat

At the top of any ebay page find “search” then to the right of that see “advanced.” Click on “advanced” and then scroll down to near the bottom to “sellers.” Click on “Specific sellers” then “exclude.” Then paste all of the seller id’s listed above in the empty box at right. Now go to bottom of that page and click the box that says “Save this search to my Ebay.”

While that will eliminate many of the worst offending sellers you may have to update it on occasion. I would also recommend that you go to the top of the “advanced search” page and type in Studebaker in the topmost box then find the next box that says “Exclude words from your search” and type in the words you wish to exclude. For example I am not interested in any of these items so they are typed in that box to exclude: ad antenna cover curtain After finishing that be sure to click the small box to the right that says “Save this search to My Ebay.”

This can all be done in less than 5 minutes and will eliminate a lot of the unwanted merchandise. I just did a “before and after” and found that the total items dropped from 3367 to 2464 by performing the steps that I outlined above, that is over 1/3 I think. Give it a try.
        Richard Quinn
        Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

I have given up looking at eBay. I used to check it daily and would find items of interest regularly. It is not worth the trouble now. Those blanket ads for generic parts have ruined it as far as I am concerned.
          Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
          50 Champion 2 door*
          53 Commander K Auto*
          53 Commander K overdrive*
          55 President Speedster
          62 GT 4Speed*
          63 Avanti R1*
          64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Originally posted by ddub View Post
            I have given up looking at eBay. I used to check it daily and would find items of interest regularly. It is not worth the trouble now. Those blanket ads for generic parts have ruined it as far as I am concerned.
            Don;

Don; If you took just five minutes and followed the instructions above your Ebay experience could again be a pleasant one!
            Richard Quinn
            Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

I don't think you will be seeing much of my items on e-bay any more, I got hung out to dry with them and Pay-pal over this tax thing, I guess it is my own fault and should have read the advance notice with more caution in the beginning of the year. All a long I was going by e-bay sales being the factor for the taxes but it did not turn out that way what they did was give a 1099K to any one with more than 200 pay-pal transaction and over $20,000.00 of gross pay-pal transaction they counted thing as income even shipping, and it really had nothing to do with e-bay transaction. there was a number of times that some one from out of the country would ask me to bid on something because the sell would not ship overseas so I did and we used pay-pal since it is the fastest and almost only way to send money except for larger amounts when we would use a wire transfer. it turned out different than I figured and now I need to spend more time and money doing a lot more taxes then I do as a retired person, The IRS is going to end up the looser with me since now with the added income I will deduct every thing related to doing a business like my truck, my shop rent, lights, extra storage, computer, office at home, every thing I can think of to off set the so called income, they will even loose the little amount that they got from me every year with my simple tax return. time to move on.
              Last edited by candbstudebakers; 01-31-2012, 10:46 PM.
              Candbstudebakers
              Castro Valley,
              California

Comment

I second Richard Quinn's remarks. Tried it myself and Studebaker Lark 1962 turned up 24 items instead of ??? So much better.
                John Clements
                Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

I sympathize with Bob P. Tax evasion is illegal, tax avoidance is expected. Owning a business gives you a chance to expense things regular employees can't. Food for the dog is a tax deduction for me...she has a certificate as a therapy dog. Your dogs could be an "alarm system". Go for it.
                  Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Thanks Dave if I need a lawyer I will call you.
                    Candbstudebakers
                    Castro Valley,
                    California

Comment

Originally posted by candbstudebakers View Post
                      I don't think you will be seeing much of my items on e-bay any more, I got hung out to dry with them and Pay-pal over this tax thing, I guess it is my own fault and should have read the advance notice with more caution in the beginning of the year. All a long I was going by e-bay sales being the factor for the taxes but it did not turn out that way what they did was give a 1099K to any one with more than 200 pay-pal transaction and over $20,000.00 of gross pay-pal transaction they counted thing as income even shipping, and it really had nothing to do with e-bay transaction. there was a number of times that some one from out of the country would ask me to bid on something because the sell would not ship overseas so I did and we used pay-pal since it is the fastest and almost only way to send money except for larger amounts when we would use a wire transfer. it turned out different than I figured and now I need to spend more time and money doing a lot more taxes then I do as a retired person, The IRS is going to end up the looser with me since now with the added income I will deduct every thing related to doing a business like my truck, my shop rent, lights, extra storage, computer, office at home, every thing I can think of to off set the so called income, they will even loose the little amount that they got from me every year with my simple tax return. time to move on.

Bob, You forgot a few things. If you have to recognize your sales as a business, don't forget cost of goods, travel and mileage. (with the following disclaimer) Consult your tax professional. I ain't gonna be part of an audit.
                      My first car on the road again!

The old girl has never been sold to the public
                      Grandpa was a Studie dealer. He got it off the car carrier in 1956 and drove it until 1959
                      My dad: 1959-70

sigpic

Me: Since 1970 and counting!

Comment

[QUOTE=kirkdob;617150]Bob, You forgot a few things. If you have to recognize your sales as a business, don't forget cost of goods, travel and mileage. (with the following disclaimer) Consult your tax professional. I ain't gonna be part of an audit.[/QUOTE

Kirk I plan to get every thing I can out of this.
                        Candbstudebakers
                        Castro Valley,
                        California

Comment

Be careful with the home office. When you sell the house the IRS wants the money for the home office back. Maybe you need to lease the office from yourself?

Comment

Originally posted by Chucks Stude View Post
                            Be careful with the home office. When you sell the house the IRS wants the money for the home office back. Maybe you need to lease the office from yourself?

Not much chance of that happening, with 4 kids all doing well there is a good chance one will want the place one acre with 6400 sq. foot 3 story house and a 2600 sq. foot 5 car 2 story garage and a pool, my grandson wants the garage and all the cars inside he says he would live upstairs and drive the cars, who knows maybe he will get it? here is a picture of the garage.

Candbstudebakers
                            Castro Valley,
                            California

Comment

Sweet set up Bob. I have a 4 br for me and the dog and a complete guest house on the property. The property is adjacent to my office, which is straight "commercial". I may pay tax if I sold the commercial property, but not my "home" athough I expense it, too, as I am also the night watchman and available 24/7. I never go home
                              Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Working...
                              X