Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A thank you to SI and other Stude vendors...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A thank you to SI and other Stude vendors...

Before my current binge into restoring Studes, I did a handful of Cherokee's, Comanche's and Grand Cherokee's and MG's. And, I worked with a friend on a variety of cosmetic refreshes.

You can fully build an MG with parts from Morris Motors and a couple other vendors. Jeep's are a cult with everything readily available... I replaced bumper, grill, fender hood and headlight/park light assemblies new for just over $200, all parts local!

I've found most Studebaker parts equally available either through Stude vendors or NAPA.

Now, I backed into restoring a '62 Galaxie 500 XL convertible with a friend. I always build a car on paper before I go real time... You'd think that with production of 13,000 units on that sub model alone and 28,000 units on the hard top version restore parts would not be an issue. Sure you can buy piecemeal a windshield gasket, door seals and a list of rubber parts I would never have thought of. But among classic Ford vendors car covers and dice you cannot buy a complete seal kit like I just did for the Champ and the Speedster... not to mention at double the price!

Thanks vendors and to you restorers you have no idea how good you have it.

You think Fords are bad try Pontiac. I know a guy who is redoing a 56 Pontiac Safari he is having a hard time finding parts. He gave $600 for a curved side glass.

Comment

It amazes me at the unbelief I encounter when trying to recruit new members the the world of Studebaker. When I show them the Classic Enterprises catalog and the SI catalog and then show them all the ads in TURNING WHEELS. They are truely impressed with what is out there.... but I still can't get them to join... they continue to struggle to find parts for their brand X's.
      What is wrong???

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Mute View Post
        It amazes me at the unbelief I encounter when trying to recruit new members the the world of Studebaker. When I show them the Classic Enterprises catalog and the SI catalog and then show them all the ads in TURNING WHEELS. They are truely impressed with what is out there.... but I still can't get them to join... they continue to struggle to find parts for their brand X's.
        What is wrong???
        What's wrong? to each his own and we would not need most of them people any way once their mind is twisted in to thinking there is only 55-57 chevy's and what ever year Fords they like, If some one offered my a chevy of equal value for my Avanti I might take it and then turn around and sell the chevy and buy 2 more Studebakers but that will not happen so will just keep the Avanti and enjoy it and the club.
        Candbstudebakers
        Castro Valley,
        California

Comment

Yup - Studes are not everyone's taste. Just like mid-60s MoPar is not everyone's taste. Each to their own!

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Plyouth aint any easier!
            Did some work on a 47 plymouth lately. Parts are hard to get and the vendor I dealt with was a TON LESS THEN STUDEBAKER FRIENDLY !!
            Originally posted by ST2DE5 View Post
            You think Fords are bad try Pontiac. I know a guy who is redoing a 56 Pontiac Safari he is having a hard time finding parts. He gave $600 for a curved side glass.

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
            53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
            57 SH (project)
            60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Comment

Originally posted by ST2DE5 View Post
              BTW: That curved quarter glass is available for $225 from Auto City Classic.
              KURTRUK
              (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

There is definately something special abouth the Studebaker crowd and suppliers. They have a passion that seems less prevalaint in big 3 folks. I personally feel it is because Studes were always an underdog so to speak and once people feel in love with them, they felt a motivation to keep it going. I think people here know that these are special vehicles and are proactive at keeping them on the road.
                I also think alot of people assume that because it is of the big 3 corps that there MUST be parts available so they tend to lean towards them over a smaller "off" brand like Stude, but unless it is a camaro, mustang, 55-57 chevy, any ford truck, chevy truck, chevelle, malibu, impala, 27-41 ford and maybe a couple of others there may be less parts availability than any Stude. At least it feels that way so far for me.

Comment

It's what I've always said. Studebaker folks are, somehow, nicer and more cooperative that those of other makes of autos. I don't know why. Although I belong to 4 antique auto clubs, my wife has said, numerous times, that her favorite is the local Studebaker Club. She feels that the members are extremely nice and genuine.
                  Rog
                  '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                  Smithtown,NY
                  Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Working...
                  X