R3 Avanti?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R3 Avanti?

I bought and paid for this recently with the BIN. Turns out it is not an R3 engine. Does anyone want it for the $7500 before I have the seller relist it? It is ready to be shipped from FL. The seller has a new set of fawn seat covers that goes with it.
    Allen

For a 4 Speed, R2 1/2 that is mostly or completely all there and running with R3 upgrade parts, that is an excellent Deal! If the Door Hinge Posts, frame and hog troughs are solid.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Agree, that's a good price. However, since the seller was incorrect about it being an R3, all the "rebuilt by previous owner" should be in question also.

How weird is that with two replacement doors? Of all the parts which go bad on Avantis, doors aren't usually one of them. If it got hit in the door on one side, OK. But both doors a different color is .... well, different. Any explanation?

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
        Agree, that's a good price. However, since the seller was incorrect about it being an R3, all the "rebuilt by previous owner" should be in question also.

How weird is that with two replacement doors? Of all the parts which go bad on Avantis, doors aren't usually one of them. If it got hit in the door on one side, OK. But both doors a different color is .... well, different. Any explanation?

jack vines
        Jack, 63 Avanti doors are prone to break at the upper hinge to door area, due to only one layer of fiberglass. This area was beefed up on later cars. So they may have replaced the doors for that reason. I have a retro-fit to fix the early doors if anyone is interested.
        Jim S.
        I was STUDEBAKER, when STUDEBAKER wasn't "KOOL".

Comment

I have a client in Sweden looking for one for me to restore (for him)....I'll forward the link.
          Bez Auto Alchemy
          573-318-8948
          http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post

jack vines
            Someone jump on the car. I replaced the doors when the factory doors were busted up from the power windows. I rebuilt the engine with R 3 valves, exhaust manifolds and more. I sold the car to the ebay guy for around 11K and he's spent at least 5K more since. It won't be a cheap restoration, but well worth the money unless it's gone way down hill in the last 5 years or so.
            JDP Maryland

Comment

Originally posted by LarkTruck View Post
              I have a retro-fit to fix the early doors if anyone is interested.Jim S.
              I have a '63 Avanti, I never heard of this issue, and I am interested to see if my car is a candidate.

Tom
              '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
              Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
              http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
              I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Yes, it seemed like even when they were only a few years old, '63 Avantis equipped with power windows had problems. And when that upper hinge area let go, everything else happened---- a car that
                REALLY leaked in the rain, wet carpets, chipped paint, gouged door strikers, mold, etc. I believe many early Avantis (with p/w) were 'driven into the ground' because of this problem--several owners just gave up back then.

Comment

I talked to the seller again and decided to possibly keep it and sell one of the other Avantis I own. I always wanted to inspect first hand some of the work done by JDP.
                  Allem

Comment

I will take it if you don't want it. If you keep it what Avanti do you have to sell? I'm serious. Thank you. Harvey

Comment

Originally posted by satdoc2 View Post
                      I talked to the seller again and decided to possibly keep it and sell one of the other Avantis I own. I always wanted to inspect first hand some of the work done by JDP.
                      Allem
                      I think you are making the right choice. A rebulit R3 clone drive line should be worth almost your bid. Even if it was a much worse car than I recall, you could still flip it at a profit. It looks like he did dump a lot of money in it in the last seven years.
                      JDP Maryland

Comment

My #1 Avanti has the door hinge problem on the drivers side (feb 63 production). The power window problem is a separate one, correct? I would also like to see how you fixed this Jim. Can you also send me your info?
                        59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                        60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                        61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                        62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                        62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                        62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                        63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                        63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                        64 Zip Van
                        66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                        66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Mine does not have power windows, were the hand crank ones unaffected?

Tom
                          '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                          Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                          http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
                          I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Originally posted by Warren Webb View Post
                            My #1 Avanti has the door hinge problem on the drivers side (feb 63 production). The power window problem is a separate one, correct? I would also like to see how you fixed this Jim. Can you also send me your info?
                            In answer to both Warren and sbca96, yes, the doors breaking out at the window regulator area is a separate problem on power window cars only. The hinge area fix I have is one that was in AOAI Magazine years ago, which uses 1/4" steel plates inside the door between the hinge bolt nut plate and the fiberglass. I have probably done this modification on at least a dozen cars, even ones that were not yet broken, as a preventative measure. I believe I have enough extra plates to do both doors on two more cars, and can have my fab guy make more if interest warrants.
                            Jim
                            I was STUDEBAKER, when STUDEBAKER wasn't "KOOL".

Comment

I have to disagree. The panel breaks at the pivot area does occur on manual crank window Avantis. The same window raising stresses on the inner door panel occur with either means of operation. I've repaired a couple of manual window Avantis with this problem. If the window does not move up and down smoothly without binding, then you are likely to see this problem.
                              When restoring an interior, it is a good idea to replace the door panel cardboard with 1/8" tempered hardboard (Masonite). This provides some additional support to keep the inner panel from flexing inward, contributing to breaks. Mechanically attaching the midpoint pivot to the door opener remote, will take the stress off the fibreglass. An 3/16" thick length of strap held by 2 fasteners at the pivot and 1 at the remote will accomplish this.
                              Last edited by WCP; 02-02-2012, 10:14 AM. Reason: Correcting description

Comment

Working...
                              X