Soda Blasting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soda Blasting

Hi all. Anyone know of a reasonable mobile soda blaster in the Michiana area? The closer to LaPorte the better. Is it true that it is not neccessary to remove the chrome and glass for this process? Thanks in advance.

Soda Blasting is BAD NEWS!
    DON"T DO IT!!!!!
    Brian
    Brian Woods
    woodysrods@shaw.ca
    1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

Why? I have only heard good things about it.

Comment

Originally posted by 9echo View Post
        Why? I have only heard good things about it.
        Soda blasting will leave soda residue in places where you cannot get every last bit rinsed away. It absorbs moisture from the air, forms an electrolyte and creates rust into the future.

Frozen carbon dioxide blasting does a great job, and being a gas at ambient temperature dispersal, leaves everything clean and dry.

Plastic media blasting works well, and whatever residue might get left behind is inert and harmless.

Comment

If you do get anything soda blasted, be sure to rinse and nutralize the caustic soda residue left behind with an acid. Mild muriatic aid or vinegar works well. A soulution of phosphoric acid would be the best as it converts iron oxide to iron phosphate.
          Bez Auto Alchemy
          573-318-8948
          http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Your car will be "Orange" after two days....maybe one depending on the moisture in the air the day you have it blasted.
            The metal will be inbedded with rust causing material that will haunt your car forever.
            You have been warned!
            Make your own choices, but do your homework.
            Good Roads
            Brian
            Brian Woods
            woodysrods@shaw.ca

Comment

Thank you! I am always looking for better ways to do things.

Comment

Sandblasting

You didn't indicate type of vehicle or age. I have found a sandblaster in Grand Rapids, Michigan that has been able to clean up truck pieces. He is able to work with this thicker gauge metal. He knows when to back off before the metal gets to hot. I wouldn't use this process on all sheet metal pieces. As you can see the old door sign was painted on too thick. While he was able to take the top layers off, he had to leave some for us to take down.
                Good luck with your project.
                Attached Files
                sigpic

Comment

Jim
                  Thanks for the pictures.
                  You have chosen the best and correct way to clean up old bodies for restoration.
                  Nice Job!
                  Good Roads
                  Brian
                  Brian Woods
                  woodysrods@shaw.ca

Comment

"Short Cuts to Auto Restoration" Any body see this book on e bay? cheers jimmijim
                    sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Working...
                    X