PDA

View Full Version : Anyone seen this Commander?

SN-60
01-28-2012, 11:31 PM
I've read a few threads about people looking for specific Studebakers from their past. I'd like to
join that club! Wondered if anyone in the Wisconsin area knows or has seen this really nice '51
Commander Starlight Coupe. The car was painted the light green color they used that year
(Rio Green?). But what would stand out about this particular Commander is that it has a '63
Avanti R-1 under it's hood. Also, '50 bullet on nose ,and '52 tail lamp assys. Also there would
be 'Avanti R-1 Powered' emblems on the interior door panels.
I didn't own it, a good Friend did, but I racked up a lot of miles in that baby, and wondered
if it was still alive and well? Thanks p.s. it was a 3 spd o/d car.

clonelark
01-29-2012, 03:58 AM
I'd think that one would stand out like a sore thumb if anyone on the web owned it., With an R1 in it it should be a pistol on the streets.

SN-60
01-29-2012, 07:19 AM
To: clonelark,------ Yes, it would standout---if You know Your Studebakers. But the average person always figured the car was a completely stock '51 (even had the stock wheelcovers). That car was involved in
many, many stoplight dragraces and usually came out on top.---I LOVE CARS LIKE THAT! ( it amazed Me that the t-86 took the abuse, but it did! and what a fat top end in O/D!

studegary
01-29-2012, 12:41 PM
A friend of mine had a 1951 convertible that he put a supercharged 289 into. The exterior was stock/used car. The friend died at age 37 (35 years ago). I do not know what happened to the car.

SN-60
01-29-2012, 12:53 PM
To: studegary,----------- Yes, back when these cars sold for not much money, and parts considered rare today weren't all that valuable, folks played around a lot like that. Take care

Doug M
01-29-2012, 09:41 PM
I belive it is in north Alabama I saw just like that in Pelum Ala At the South East Zone meet in 05 I belive. The Man that brought got out of south Florida.

SN-60
01-29-2012, 10:19 PM
To: Doug M,---------- North Alabama! -- South Florida! Wow!!!---these cars sure get around! Thanks for the info. By the way, if that is the same car, its not the first time its been in Alabama!!