Stude Still A Great Teacher

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stude Still A Great Teacher

I like to write, and you may find an old T/W article titled "Studebaker The Second Greatest Teacher I Ever Had" that sums up my love of why this marque is so dear to me.

To make a point, however, I just want to say, my computer DVD drive was stuck today and would not release a disk. I'm 53 years old and computers still baffle me to a certain extent and of course still thrill me to a certain extent. So when this problem arose today I was both baffled and challenged.

As Promised jg 61 Hawk Follow Up Stude Teacher (Reprint)

Studebaker: The Second Greatest Teacher I Ever Had
    On May 2, 1976 my father died, and with him my greatest teacher. My father was the best guy I ever knew.

Dad spoke of his youth, his troubles, his solutions, what he expected of himself and of us.
    He was a World War II Navy Pilot, with a great sense of humor, sense of family, and sense of responsibility. He lead by example and taught me the right way to live.

Well, as I said, dad died in May of 1976. I graduated from high school in June of 1976. The old man had flown his last successful mission. I was the youngest of four boys and we had all turned out as he had hoped: morally strong, our own men, willing to compromise, but not collapse. My three brothers were attending college, and doing well.
    I was out of school, but unprepared for the complexities of life. I had no idea how to fix anything (around the house or around the car). The old man had always taken care of these things, and it was taken for granted. Luckily the first summer without him went smoothly.
    During that summer I worked for G.M. (yes that G.M. - brand X). I saved about $2,000. In September I too began college. I attended a local community college, and lived at home.

Before long, I knew the owner of a local junk yard by name and he knew me. Soon after that I had done the brake job, did my first tune up, rebuilt the carburetor and was driving my first Studebaker!
    I quickly realized several things: I had a mechanical inclination; mechanical things are not to be feared, but figured; if you are S-L-O-W and careful and really study the parts almost anything can be repaired; be sure to read manuals.
    In the next two years I bought and sold four Studebakers, each time daring to dive deeper into the mechanics. I learned for example how to remove and replace a motor, transmission, and a rear end. I repaired clocks, switches, tailgate cranks, and countless other little problems.
    I slowly developed a very positive attitude about myself that I could do almost
    I did better in college than I had ever expected, and I began to work around the house repairing such things as trash compactors, garbage disposals, alarm systems, and broken plumbing, to name just a few.

Comment

To borrow a phrase...
      "GOOD ROADS!"
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I seem to recall there is a button or similar that permits the tray to open, good idea to get a new one though.
        John Clements
        Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Working...
        X