1931 Model 54 Coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1931 Model 54 Coupe

Hello all, Is there anyone out there that can give some info on a 1931 model 54 coupe? I picked one up last June and am starting my restoration this spring. I have been searching the internet for info on this car and can't seem to find much. I find info on Erskine, Rockne, Dictator etc. but no mention of the Model 54. I'm looking for basic info, and would like to know production #'s etc. Basically would like to know what I have . Any help appreciated. Thanks
    Attached Files
    sigpic 1948 M-5 Modified, Dennis Wilson, Algona Iowa

Wow! I can't help you on this one, but I wish I could come across something like this to play with. (One I could afford)

I think it is these type of cars heralded the beginning of the decade of the most elegant cars ever produced. It was in the thirties that car makers began producing cars that were better than the roads available to run them on. I am not sure, but I believe your car could have had the option of metal or wooden artillery type wheels.

There are folks here knowledgeable about the pre-war cars and hopefully they will chime in. Good luck with the restoration. Check in from time to time with updates and more pictures.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

The Antique Studebaker Club would have more information. I have a '31 Dictator 8 coupe and thought they were the same body but I don see the lights on the front fenders. I have your headlight buckets if you need some. Most of the other parts, including two sets of wood spoke wheels, went bye-bye two weeks ago. I can put you in touch with the new owner if you want.

The reprints of chassis and body parts catalogs are available from vendors. There is no shop manual from Studebaker as all models were put in one 9 volume library, but Not sure if '31 applied.

Comment

Without specific questions, can tell you 1931 Model 54 built in South Bend Serial numbers started at 5096001; Los Angeles built started at 5592200.
        Brad Johnson,
        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

What a great start for a project! Keep us updated.
          ~Matt Connor
          '59 Lark 2-door

Comment

1931 Studebaker model 54 Six. Low price offering for Studebaker behind the larger President, Commander and Dictator. Base price of Business Coupe $845. Produced between December 1930 and September 1931. Total U.S. production 23,917 plus 1,030 in Walkerville, Ontario Canada. Serial range: 5096001 to 5120000 in U.S. and 5952200 to 5953250 Canada. Engine L-head Six 205 c.i. 70 horsepower. 114” wheelbase. Available in a 4 door sedan, Coupe either 2 or 4 passenger (w rumble seat), roadster and 4 door open touring. Wire wheels and side mounted wheels optional on all models.

You should really join the Antique Studebaker Club and all your questions can be answered. http://www.theantiquestudebakerclub....ershippage.htm
            Richard Quinn
            Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
              Without specific questions, can tell you 1931 Model 54 built in South Bend Serial numbers started at 5096001; Los Angeles built started at 5592200.
              No L.A. production until 1936. That serial range starting 5952200 is for Walkerville as I mention in my earlier post.
              Richard Quinn

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
                No L.A. production until 1936.
                What I get for reading Body Catalog after a late Saturday afternoon. No L.A. production on any models at all until 1936.
                Thank you, Richard, for your sobering influence!
                Brad Johnson,
                SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

1931 Studebaker model 54 Six. Low price offering for Studebaker behind the larger President, Commander and Dictator. Base price of Business Coupe $845. Produced between December 1930 and September 1931. Total U.S. production 23,917 plus 1,030 in Walkerville, Ontario Canada. Serial range: 5096001 to 5120000 in U.S. and 5952200 to 5953250 Canada. Engine L-head Six 205 c.i. 70 horsepower. 114” wheelbase. Available in a 4 door sedan, Coupe either 2 or 4 passenger (w rumble seat), roadster and 4 door open touring. Wire wheels and side mounted wheels optional on all models.

You should really join the Antique Studebaker Club and all your questions can be answered. http://www.theantiquestudebakerclub....ershippage.htm
                  Thanks for the reply. Is there any info on how many were coupes?

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Is there any info on how many were coupes?

No production by body style but likely quite a few since they were the lowest price body in the line up. Very few survivors.
                    Richard Quinn

Comment

Hello, Thanks for all the help. Going buy what I have read, I have a 31 Model 54 Coupe made in the US.. Comparing production numbers from Ford and Chevy, I conclude that I have a rare car. It might not be the most desireable of the early 30's Coupes, but it is still a rare find, to me anyway. I bought my M-5 back in 1996 and since then I have been watching for and old Stude Coupe and can say I have never seen one for sale or at auction ( projects anyway) ,so when I came across this one I couldn't resist. My Coupe is a pretty solid car but has some of the normal lower rust rot which won't be to much of a problem but the grill will be a challenge thow. Finding another is probably not going to happen so wish me luck on this one. The fenders are savable but will need to manufacture some new side splashes and running boards. I am a hobbyist so this will be a challenging project. Thanks again for the replies and for lending me your ear. Dennis

Comment

You are welcome and good luck. Most all Studebakers from that era are "rare" when compared to Fords and Chevies. Unfortunately rarity plays little or no role in resale value. Despite superiority in most areas a Chevy of the same year and body style would probably bring more money. Not sure about a Model A. Having a Studebaker however sets you apart!!
                        Richard Quinn

Comment

You are welcome and good luck. Most all Studebakers from that era are "rare" when compared to Fords and Chevies. Unfortunately rarity plays little or no role in resale value. Despite superiority in most areas a Chevy of the same year and body style would probably bring more money. Not sure about a Model A. Having a Studebaker however sets you apart!!
                          My thinking exactly.

Comment

Originally posted by 32cruisin View Post
                            My thinking exactly.
                            To be honest...probably most of us Studebaker folks carry a tiny "chip" on our shoulders when around people who condescendingly ask, "why do you fool with Studebakers?"

My quick reply...."Any body can buy a Ford or Chevy!"

John Clary
                            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

[QUOTE=jclary;616051][B]To be honest...probably most of us Studebaker folks carry a tiny "chip" on our shoulders when around people who condescendingly ask, "why do you fool with Studebakers?"
                              Hey John, Funny you should say that because that's exactly what I say when people ask me that. I also own a 32 Chevy and get way more compliments on my M-5 than I ever get with my Chevy. Studes are just to cool. When I get finished, no one around here has a 31 Stude coupe which makes it unique as well as cool. Later
                              My quick reply...."Any body can buy a Ford or Chevy!"

Comment

Working...
                              X