Power steering unit off 56 Golden Hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power steering unit off 56 Golden Hawk

I have a power steering unit off a 1956 Golden Hawk that I am wanting to sell. The car also came from the factory with power windows and power front seats, in addition to the power steering. I felt $1250.00 for allitems was a fair price. My friend, Roy Pearson, bought only the power steering unit off ebay last fall for 900 bucks ....not in that good of condition. So all three items for 900 bucks would be an excellent deal for him ?? My understanding is they are very hard to find and worth anything one could get for it. Any thoughts on this deal ? Comments appreciated.
    Last edited by mike super; 01-28-2012, 10:40 AM.

Condition, condition, condition?

If the PS unit is complete; shaft, collar, sleeve, turn signal, horn, all pulleys, brackets, hoses and ready to run, then it's a good deal.

If the PW and PS switches and motors are still good, then a very good deal.

On the other hand, a Stude guy I know bought a parts car out of a field to get the PS, PW and PS. After fifty years of sitting out in the southeastern weather, there was literally nothing usable. The pump, motors and switches were just rusty lumps.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

The power seat and power windows may mean something to someone with a Studebaker that already has those options, (in the extra parts sense), but to use the parts to retrofit a car that didn't come
      with those options may or may not make sense. The power steering, (complete assembly), on the other hand, would really enhance the driveability of a '56 Golden Hawk not so equipped--naturally increasing the car's
      collector and resale value. So, I feel Your asking price is very fair. Good luck!

Comment

Will take some photos of each area you discussed Jack to make certain of their state of repair. I suggested to the person wanting the power steering unit to speak to you about installing it and new heavy duty springs and final alignment on the car .....at some time after he gets it to Oregon and you can work it into your schadule. He said he has spoken to you. I will send him photos to forward to you. mike

Comment

Include the reach rod if you have it. They are shorter than manual steer rods, and not available new.
          Dwight 54 Commander hardtop

Comment

To;1954khardtop,--------That's right, the Saginaw reach rods are getting rare. And an authentic '56 Golden Hawk reach rod is even rarer since there is a slight bend towards the
            front of it to clear the engine to frame mount,(L), which is unique to that 56J model.

Comment

If any one needs a 56 golden hawk frame I have one. front mounts are different.
              Candbstudebakers
              Castro Valley,
              California

Comment

Originally posted by 1954khardtop View Post
                Include the reach rod if you have it. They are shorter than manual steer rods, and not available new.
                Also, include the steering post assembly. I hope the tranny off both cars is same, i.e. Ultra or T85. If so, its pretty much a swap in. or HD front springs, the MOOG . CC655 springs will work perfectly

Comment

Originally posted by candbstudebakers View Post
                  If any one needs a 56 golden hawk frame I have one. front mounts are different.
                  Why didn't you say so sooner???

I could have used it ...back in 1995!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X