Factory Custom Postwar Studebakers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Factory Custom Postwar Studebakers?

Studebaker would build cars to customer specs if possible. (Ex--the last '64 GT Hawk with the 3.07
    rear end ratio and overdrive). My '55 Speedster had major ( to that model ) brightwork omited at
    the factory. I wondered if anyone else has / knows of a Speedster, or other Studebaker for that
    matter, that was built with noticeable changes per customer request?

The one that comes to my mind is the Packard truck that was really just a rebadged Studebaker Transtar in 1957 or '58. The way I understand it, that truck was destined for South America to a Packard dealer. A customer was a true Packard guy and didn't want a Studebaker truck, but a Packard truck. Well, there was no such thing as a Packard truck at that time so they just changed the decals on a Studebaker.

There was also a Hawk with "Studebaker" ommited from the front fenders.
    Chris Dresbach

Comment

The correct story about the Packard truck is that in Argentina (I think) they had a system of import permits at the time. The importer had permits for Packards (no longer made) not Studebakers so the Packard name was placed on the truck and imports were no problem.
      John Clements
      Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Sure, Ed. This 1956 Golden Hawk, sold new at my Father's Palma-Rhoads Motors, has been discussed here from time to time:

The notation Special Upholstery was all red leather, not a regular production option on 1956 Golden Hawks.

Here is a copy of Studebaker's Production Order for this car. (The word "Town" doesn't mean anything; it's a sticker I used to redact the key numbers, since the car is accounted for and fully restored):

Note the Designation SPECIAL (SEE BELOW) for Trim (T). This is easily the most complicated and convoluted P.O. I've ever seen, with the various notations for each individual piece of interior trim as to color and fitment.

The original Shipping Instructions were changed to Cust because my father personally picked up this car in South Bend, about 230 miles NE of Paris IL in those pre-interstate days. (No, I didn't go with him and take pictures as a ten-year-old, sorry to say!) BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
          My '55 Speedster had major ( to that model ) brightwork omited at
          the factory.
          It would be interesting to see how that would be shown on the PRODUCTION ORDER. Can you post that?
          Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Comment

To: Dick Steinkamp------ Yes, sure I will post it ---- as soon as My Wife shows Me how!!!!! (computer newbie)

Comment

I just thought of another one. There's a green '56 in the SNM. It was ordered with a custom green color and I think it's the only one of its kind.
              Chris Dresbach

Comment

To: Bob Palma------- That particular 1956 Golden Hawk, equipped as it is, has to be one of the most desireable examples of that model to exist today. I hope to see it this year at South Bend.
                But really, If You were at the dealership back in '56 and wanted to order a Golden Hawk (who wouldn't?) You'd probably order it just like that. The pains the factory went to to
                prepare the car for the leather interior are extraordinary. And if a 56J was ordered with the standard o/d trans, ordering it with power steering was critical. This car has both.
                Well, it's a great car, and so cool it survived and found its way home. My hats off to Mr.Patrick Doherty. He owns a very special Studebaker.

Comment

Here's the PO...

For this rare experimental '54...

Dick Steinkamp
                  Bellingham, WA

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Dresbach View Post
                    I just thought of another one. There's a green '56 in the SNM. It was ordered with a custom green color and I think it's the only one of its kind.
                    Chris: Do you mean the Ceramic Green and Snowcap White 1956 President Classic at the museum? If so, it does represent a color that was available only on President Classic and Golden Hawks.

It probably isn't one-of-a-kind, though; especially on Golden Hawks. Ceramic Green in some combination with Snowcap White was modestly popular on Golden Hawks. BP
                    Last edited by BobPalma; 01-28-2012, 07:31 PM.
                    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

To: Bob Palma: That particular 1956 Golden Hawk, equipped as it is, has to be one of the most desirable examples of that model to exist today. I hope to see it this year at South Bend.

But really, If you were at the dealership back in '56 and wanted to order a Golden Hawk (who wouldn't?), you'd probably order it just like that. The pains the factory went to to prepare the car for the leather interior are extraordinary.

And if a 56J was ordered with the standard o/d trans, ordering it with power steering was critical. This car has both.

Well, it's a great car, and so cool it survived and found its way home. My hats off to Mr. Patrick Doherty. He owns a very special Studebaker.
                      True, Ed. I hope you were able to read "the rest of the story" in the November 2002 Turning Wheels, where a whole page and two photos are devoted to that specific car.

Now, would any of us have ordered it just like that in 1956? I'm not sure.

In retrospect, it seems ideal....and is, viewed from today's vantage point.

But in 1956, it was a real oddball; I mean, it was a single color and a dark gray metallic at that. Common today but downright rare in the wild, all but mandatory two-tone days of the mid 1950s. And with blackwall tires, too! How many 1956 Golden Hawks were shod with blackwall tires against a solid dark grey color?

Yep; it was odd then...but certainly desirable now.

I, too, hope Pat returns the car to South Bend again this year, as he did in 2002. BP

Comment

To: Dick steinkamp,----------- Dick, that '54 hardtop is absolutely beautiful. But I don't follow The PO above it, Could You clarify that? Thanks

Comment

I don't follow The PO above it, Could You clarify that? Thanks
                          It's a joke.

The car is actually quite stock except for the engine, trans, front seats (and a few other subtle changes)...stock suspension, brakes, steering, 2 piece drive shaft, all the trim (except hood and trunk), etc.

I made up the phony production order to reflect the "as built", aged it, and put it in the window at car shows. It was a great conversation starter.
                          Dick Steinkamp
                          Bellingham, WA

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
                            It's a joke.
                            Kinda like this joke... not a PO, but a window sticker, intended to be just for fun:

For this POS:

Hobbies are supposed to be fun, eh? <GGG>

Rather a challenge, digging through the archives for these old images. <G>

Which reminds me... Dick... do you still have pics/videos of our rides together in Charlotte? I experienced an unfortunate computer incident, and lost my copies of such.
                            Last edited by Studedude; 01-28-2012, 09:37 PM.
                            sigpic
                            Dave Lester

Comment

Working...
                            X