Finally found a modern radio that will fit the Baker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other: Finally found a modern radio that will fit the Baker

It's a radio made for a '54-59 Apache truck.

I needed a smaller size because of both the faceplate and the Vintage Air unit behind it. Now I don't have to goof around with a hidden unit.

'53 Commander
    Art Morrison chassis
    LS6 ASA/4L60E

Inside looks very nice, even with dangling wires. How about a picture of the outside?

Comment

Nice find....but.....what hanging pedal assembly are you using.....

I like music....but I like stopping better.
      Bill Foy
      1000 Islands, Ontario
      1953 Starlight Coupe

Comment

Jim were you able to use the original bezel? Any modifications to it? How about a close up picture of the install.
        Thanks,
        Steve

Comment

were you able to use the original bezel
          Sure does look like a '55 stude bezel for the 6 tube radio. The rounded corners give it away as a '55 vs square for a '53-'54. I'd be interested to know if the hole needed to be machined out any for the new radio to poke through properly. Also, I wonder if the stude knobs would fit the shafts? Maybe they have some detailed mechanical drawings on the website...

Jeff in ND

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Billy View Post
            Nice find....but.....what hanging pedal assembly are you using.....

I like music....but I like stopping better.
            Me too. That's why the car has 6-piston Wilwoods on the front with 13.25" rotors, and 4-piston Wilwoods on the rear with 10.25" rotors. The hanging pedal assembly is from Kugel Komponents (http://www.kugelkomponents.com/zenca...roducts_id=185 ) , the firewall is a heavier gauge, appropriately supported, and the master cylinder is from a Z06. I'm pretty certain I've got the stopping part licked. The gas pedal is a Lokar unit (http://lokar.com/product-pgs/throt-a...or-pedals.html )

As for wires hanging from the dash, I'm finishing up the wiring for the car, and the remainder of those go to the radio, the dome light, an unused accessory provision, and the AC.
            Everything else is done.

The bezel came with the car, so I'm not sure if it's incorrect. But I have looked high and low for something that would fit, and this radio has infinitely adjustable shafts, so I didn't have to cut the dash at all, though I did modify the bezel that came with the radio to fill in the blank spots. I have my original knobs, but the ones that were optional looked the business, and I needed two knobs per shaft instead of one anyway.

I have been thrashing away on this, as it's taken twice as long as I thought it would, but the light is clearly at the end of the tunnel.

'53 Commander
            Art Morrison chassis
            LS6 ASA/4L60E

Comment

Very nice. I like the way the radio looks like it belongs there. One of my peeves is accessories stuck on a modified like they were afterthoughts.
              "In the heart of Arkansas."
              Searcy, Arkansas
              1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
              1952 2R pickup

Comment

Jim, what AC evaporator are you using?
                Last edited by 5brown1; 01-29-2012, 06:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 5brown1 View Post
                  Jim, what AC evaporator are you using?
                  It's the smallest Vintage Air unit. We fabbed four mounts (you can't see them all). Gave up the glovebox for this, and we're using the stock defrost locations, and two on the side of the dash.
                  Still to add: a small subdash for the AC controls, a clock, and the center AC vent.

You can just see the above vent in the corner of the dash shot. I've tried to keep a stock appearance, or at least period-correct, but sometimes it just isn't possible.
                  '53 Commander
                  Art Morrison chassis
                  LS6 ASA/4L60E

Comment

You are in a region known for some of the world's most awesome customs. From what I see, yours takes a back seat to none. Keep up the good work. The "extra time" seems to be time well spent!
                    John Clary
                    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Hi Jim
                      The car is looking Great!
                      Yes, I am sure you can see the light at the end of the tunnel.
                      My 56 has come to a grinding halt, but we are well into the tunnel on Sandi's 61.
                      Hope to see the light in a couple of months......or at least a glimmer.
                      Good Roads
                      Brian
                      Brian Woods
                      woodysrods@shaw.ca
                      1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

I just finished installing the radio in my Speedster dash and thought I would add some photos which will help show the modification to the radio's bezel.
                        I did have to modify the original Studebaker bezel a bit as the Speedster dash is flat. That was easy to do with a cutoff tool and could also be done with a grinder, etc. The radio's plastic bezel is carefully cut to fit inside the Studebaker bezel. I made the holes large enough to fit over the nuts with one of those tapered multi cut drill bits. I also removed part of the ridges on the back side of the bezel with a file so it would sit flat in the Studebaker bezel. Also, be careful when cutting- the plastic bezel will scratch (I learned).
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by 5brown1; 09-08-2012, 05:49 AM.

Comment

I have been thrashing away on this, as it's taken twice as long as I thought it would,
                          Then you've done well and been very lucky. It usually takes me four times as long as I thought it would and costs five times as much as I budgeted.

jack vines
                          PackardV8

Comment

Whenever i see a modern radio in the dash of an old car, it makes me cringe. I cringed several times today at the IDYSD car show at the veterans hospital.

That's why I started doing these:

State-of-the-Art Stereo for antique car radios: Looks original, sounds better!

They look bone stock, but put out up to 160 RMS watts of audio power, at 44 watts per speaker with four speakers.

This is not a commercial for me, it's just that old cars with old dashboards should have old radios. Kind of like building a resto rod where it looks stock but sounds new.
                            RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                            4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                            5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

More photos of adjusted mounting for more clearance

Gee Roy sorry you've got the cringes.
                              The stock radio won't allow room for the center AC vent on the Compac II Vintage air unit but this one will.
                              I am adding some photos of the install as I found that the radio head is detachable from the body which allowed me to adjust the mounting angle and provide sufficient room to get a large AC vent hose to the vent in the speaker grill. I again apologize for the quality of the photos. If anyone wants better ones let me know soon.
                              I can provide more details if wanted. Just PM me.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by 5brown1; 09-11-2012, 06:35 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X