50 Stude wiper motor 12volt electric needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: 50 Stude wiper motor 12volt electric needed

I need to bolt on a 12 volt electric wiper motor to the existing cable drive system

the mount is right in the center on the firewall.. see attached pic

anybody been down this road before ??

1950 Starlight 2 door
    Attached Files
    John
    Folsom CA

"Lone Dog ... No Woof"

www.cruisinnews.com

www.SacramentoSwapMeet.com

You need to look in hot rod catalogs. There is also a chance a truck motor may fit, or try to use a 51-52 housing and put late guts inside it. ??

Comment

Are the 51 & 52's electric? and still use the cable system? I can step down the electric system if they are

(the universal motors are 200 bucks in the HR catalogs ... Rainex is 3 bucks ...
      John
      Folsom CA

"Lone Dog ... No Woof"

www.cruisinnews.com

Comment

John

Let me ask first what are you using as a steering column? I put a 98 Camaro column in my 54K and just took the 98 wiper motor and adapted it to the Studebaker drive. That allows me use the column mounted wiper control and harness to power the motor so I have all the speeds and intermittent wipers like the Camaro. The Camaro motor looks a lot better than the exposed 54 unit.

Just a thought, Bob

Comment

plan on using a RPC- Flaming River or Ididt column - tilt with the shifter on the column...

was it hard adapting the Camaro unit to the cable system ?

did you mount the Camaro motor to the firewall right where the original vacuum was located?
          -----------
          oops I just reread your post I missed that you had a '54 ..

we kicked the '50 firewall back 5 inches to make room for the V10 and there is limited space under the dash
          Last edited by Starlite51; 01-26-2012, 02:09 PM.
          John
          Folsom CA

"Lone Dog ... No Woof"

www.cruisinnews.com

Comment

maybe this will work?

Comment

yep it will work .. for 200 bucks ....

and thanks for your input .. I appreciate your post and this vast resource we have here on the SDC forum
              ....helping one cheap street rodder at a time.... for FREE!!
              John
              Folsom CA

"Lone Dog ... No Woof"

www.cruisinnews.com

Comment

Originally posted by Starlite51 View Post
                plan on using a RPC- Flaming River or Ididt column - tilt with the shifter on the column...

was it hard adapting the Camaro unit to the cable system ?

did you mount the Camaro motor to the firewall right where the original vacuum was located?
                -----------
                oops I just reread your post I missed that you had a '54 ..

we kicked the '50 firewall back 5 inches to make room for the V10 and there is limited space under the dash
                John

I mounted the Camaro motor right where the Stude unit was and just machined an adapter to add the Stude end to motor. The Camaro shaft was as short as the Stude unit and was a serrated tapered form. The adapter attached to the shaft with a screw just as the original Camaro adapter did. They just go roundy, round so as long as direction is correct most any motor could be adapted.

Here's the best shot I have in my file

Bob

Comment

Working...
                X