No announcement yet.

Newbie Looking for Advice on Pulling Front Brakes to have Shoes Relined

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: Newbie Looking for Advice on Pulling Front Brakes to have Shoes Relined

Ask and you shall receive!

Welcome to the SDC and to the SDC Forum CWW, we would be happy to have you as a New Member of the Club if you have not yet joined. You will seriously enjoy getting the Monthly Publication "Turning Wheels" after joining the International Club, which you can do at the top of the page here at a 1st. Year discount.

There is a great Chapter of SDC or two up there in BC and you will be welcomed there I am sure.

Help may be on the way Neighbor, a Private Message I sent to you can be accessed at the top of this page under "Private Messages".
    Last edited by StudeRich; 01-25-2012, 08:01 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Welcome!
      Your mechanic does not have to tie up a bay. He can remove the brake shoes, replace the drums/hubs and then push the car out of the bay. The car will not have brakes, but it can be pushed around.
      Please note (for you and your mechanic) that a hub, not drum, puller will be required for the rear brakes.
      Last edited by studegary; 01-25-2012, 11:13 AM. Reason: missing space
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

You can do it in a few simple steps.
        1. block the wheels
        2. remove hubcaps
        3. loosen lug nuts (just a little)
        4. jack up corners (or front, then rear) of car
        5. place jackstands or sturdy blocks under car (concerte blocks and milk cartoins are NO-NOs)
        6. remove lugnuts and wheel
        7. remove cotter key & center nut that holds hub on (in front a dust cover has to be removed)
        ... (removing rear hub requires a speciallized puller)
        8. Take photo of brake set-up (very handy when putting things back together)
        9 remove shoes and send out for relining
        (DO NOT TOUCH BRAKE PETAL WHILE HUBS ARE OFF THE CAR)
        WHILE YOU ARE AT IT, IT IS A GOOD IDEA TO REPLACE THE THREE FLEXIBLE BRAKE HOSES (ONE AT EACH FRONT WHEEL & ONE ON REAR AXLE)
        10. crack open a "cool one" and celebrate!

Comment

Replacement brake shoes come up on eBay often, or you can purchase a set from many of our venders. Some venders may require a core deposit, but you will get that back when you send in your used brake shoes. Then you would be able to do the job in a couple of hours. Repacking kits for the brake cylinders are only a few bucks, and I would suggest you get some "just in case". Do not fear doing the job yourself, if you follow the manual you'll be fine. We were all beginners once. Good luck!

Comment

are there no mechanical friends/neighbors avail to assist you? I'd not want to do my first brake job without having seen it done...
            1947 M5 under restoration
            a bunch of non-Stude stuff

Comment

2 things I've got to say from experience.......
              1.... DO NOT buy the brake shoes with glued on material... it eventually comes off..... Not good..... Have them done the old skool way they'll last.
              2..... Convert to Silicone brake fluid..... It helps keep wheel cylinders from sticking.... It's not as Hydroscopic....
              3..... If you would like, dual MC is the way to go.... front's go out, you still got backs, and vice versa... Drove sideways thru a couple of stoplights right down from the SNM in 07 for that lesson.... Scared me to death......

Comment

The shoes I took off my 52 commander hard top looked new when I took them off to install my new turner disc. set up.
                If they work for your car you are more than welcome too them for the shipping.

Dean.

Murrieta Ca.

Comment

CCW,

I emailed some lists to you, not sure if they 'sent'

MIKE
                  SNW

Comment

Working...
                  X