axel swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Axle: axel swap

can I swap the axle from a 62 hawk to a 65 cruiser.

you can swap an axle from like dana 44 to another dana 44, or a dana 27 to another 27. do you mean to say can you swap rear end assemblies? If so the answer is yes but if the 44 from the hawk is going into a car with a 27 the driveshaft length will have to be altered.
    Originally posted by K-Hawk View Post
    can I swap the axle from a 62 hawk to a 65 cruiser.

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
    53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
    57 SH (project)
    60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Comment

We are assuming you are talking about the entire Axle assembly here I believe, it is quite a bit more difficult if you mean the "Carrier" assembly aka "Case". It will be a LOT easier if you are talking about the Axle SHAFT.
      But as Russ said "44" Parts to "44", YES!

The raised "44" is found on the lower "Web" between the right Axle Tube and the Center "Pumpkin". If the Cruiser is a V-8, you should be fine.

Keep the axle shims from the right backing plate with their mating Axle Housing, if you remove the backing plates, and re-check the right hand axle end play per the Shop Manual.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

To: K-Hawk----------- If a Type 44 is replacing a Type 27, got to use the compatible u-bolts and spring plates.

Comment

Thanks , I was just wondering and yes I was talking about the entire assembly.

Comment

So which is it...axel or axle....make up your mind will you.
            Just kidding. After all of the spelling threads and me being such a huge offender I thought I would raz someone else for a change.

Comment

Working...
            X