• Show
Clear All

• Vapor lock on return from S.B.

sigpic
    Ross.
    Riverside, Ca.
    1957 Provincial X2
    1958 Transtar

Use fuel injection hose for the fuel supply as the new gas is collapsing the old style rubber tubing from the inside out. Street Rodders have been converting for quite some time. National Street Rod Association---(on-line) in their magazine had an article about a year ago about this problem..................Brad

Comment

Use fuel injection hose for the fuel supply as the new gas is collapsing the old style rubber tubing from the inside out. Street Rodders have been converting for quite some time. National Street Rod Association---(on-line) in their magazine had an article about a year ago about this problem..................Brad

Comment

I have said it before, and I will say it again. Do not use the gas with alcohol in it in your Studebaker. In these western states, it is subsidized so it is a couple of cents cheaper than the straight stuff, and I use it in my modern car, but do not put it in your Stude! It is more volatile, so it boils at a lower temperature. It dissolves the coating on the cork float on your fuel gauge sender, and it will destroy the rubber in you fuel pump and carburetor. Just to save a couple of cents, it isn't worth it.

Comment

I have said it before, and I will say it again. Do not use the gas with alcohol in it in your Studebaker. In these western states, it is subsidized so it is a couple of cents cheaper than the straight stuff, and I use it in my modern car, but do not put it in your Stude! It is more volatile, so it boils at a lower temperature. It dissolves the coating on the cork float on your fuel gauge sender, and it will destroy the rubber in you fuel pump and carburetor. Just to save a couple of cents, it isn't worth it.

Comment

I was having vapor lock problems the last several of weeks and on the way to SB and the first couple of days at SB. The week before we were to go to SB I considered not taking the Studebaker but decided to drive it since I would be traveling with other chapter members that would be able to help if I had trouble.
            Some chapter members showed me last weeks forum discussion on the subject. Tuesday night I decided to try Marvel Mystery Oil in the gas tank. I used two quarts per tank full. I made it back from the Fairgrounds Thursday afternoon without a problem. It was very hot and a couple of lights were pretty long. (I vapor locked using the same route Tuesday afternoon.) It was cool and rainy Saturday morning when we left and I did not add any MMO with the fill up Sat. morning. As the day warmed up I added at each fillup on the way home. The trip home was 640 miles. No vapor lock after any of the stops on the way home. I'm going to keep experimenting this summer and see how it goes.

Gary Sanders
            Nixa, MO
            President Toy Studebaker Collectors Club. Have an interest in Toy Studebakers? Contact me for details.
            Gary Sanders
            Nixa, MO

Comment

I was having vapor lock problems the last several of weeks and on the way to SB and the first couple of days at SB. The week before we were to go to SB I considered not taking the Studebaker but decided to drive it since I would be traveling with other chapter members that would be able to help if I had trouble.
              Some chapter members showed me last weeks forum discussion on the subject. Tuesday night I decided to try Marvel Mystery Oil in the gas tank. I used two quarts per tank full. I made it back from the Fairgrounds Thursday afternoon without a problem. It was very hot and a couple of lights were pretty long. (I vapor locked using the same route Tuesday afternoon.) It was cool and rainy Saturday morning when we left and I did not add any MMO with the fill up Sat. morning. As the day warmed up I added at each fillup on the way home. The trip home was 640 miles. No vapor lock after any of the stops on the way home. I'm going to keep experimenting this summer and see how it goes.

Gary Sanders
              Nixa, MO
              President Toy Studebaker Collectors Club. Have an interest in Toy Studebakers? Contact me for details.
              Gary Sanders
              Nixa, MO

Comment

I too am having trouble with vapor-lok and think it is a result of my gas choices on the second to last fill up. That gas even lifted my paint when it seeped out on a hill. Filled up with another brand and added off road diesel fuel but it didn't help much. I have an electric fuel pump and I switch it on when it starts but eventually it vapor loks with that running also. I am going to run the tank dry and try to refill with non-ethanol fuel if that doesn't help I am going to run a return back to the tank to keep the fuel circulating. It is so frustrating it is keeping me from driving the truck much.

Comment

I too am having trouble with vapor-lok and think it is a result of my gas choices on the second to last fill up. That gas even lifted my paint when it seeped out on a hill. Filled up with another brand and added off road diesel fuel but it didn't help much. I have an electric fuel pump and I switch it on when it starts but eventually it vapor loks with that running also. I am going to run the tank dry and try to refill with non-ethanol fuel if that doesn't help I am going to run a return back to the tank to keep the fuel circulating. It is so frustrating it is keeping me from driving the truck much.

Comment

sigpic
                    Ross.
                    Riverside, Ca.
                    1957 Provincial X2
                    1958 Transtar

Comment

sigpic
                      Ross.
                      Riverside, Ca.
                      1957 Provincial X2
                      1958 Transtar

Comment

Check fuel filter(s) wen you get a chance. Did a PO install one before the fuel pump? (High elevation & heat & diluted gas & ???)

Comment

Check fuel filter(s) wen you get a chance. Did a PO install one before the fuel pump? (High elevation & heat & diluted gas & ???)

Comment

Working...
                          X