Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old owner looking for his old car Help please

Hi Bob,
    Full name is Matt Joyce. Phone number is 415-314-8415. I live in Oakland, California. Thanks. I'll check out the forum.

On Sun, Jan 22, 2012 at 9:11 PM, Bob Peterson <candbstudebakers@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

Matt, I posted your request to our Studebaker forum group, but will need a contact number or you can go to the forum and sign up and check things out you might enjoy it, might even find the car. just type sdcforum and you should be able to work it yourself. give me a full name and phone number it would help....Bob

To: candbstudebakers@sbcglobal.net
    Sent: Sun, January 22, 2012 3:45:41 PM
    Subject: A Studebaker I inherited from my brother

I've been surfing the web for my long lost Studebaker. The short story is that my dear old brother died in a crash in 1998 when he was 26. He left me a 1965 Studebaker Commander. I started to restore it. Then I ran off to Seattle, chasing a girl. I donated the car to some Catholic Church charity group in Sacramento, CA and I can't remember their name, don't have any paperwork. Here's what I have: VNC112044. I think that's the VIN. The car was brown. Three on the tree. Barely ran. As the years go by, I continue to wish I'd never given it away. I can't express how much it would mean to get it back, restore it. I'd appreciate any help or direction to other resources.

--
    Matt
    Candbstudebakers
    Castro Valley,
    California

Originally posted by candbstudebakers View Post
    I donated the car to some Catholic Church charity group in Sacramento, CA and I can't remember their name, don't have any paperwork.
    That doesn't bode well. The groups, including churches, that receive old cars as charitable donations around here usually have them crushed up for the scrap metal price. The paper is always running ads by some group or other asking folks to donate their well-used cars and these ads sometimes tout it as the "environmentally responsible" thing to do. There's a tree hugging mentality around here that kind of message appeals to. I don't even want to contemplate the number of classics removed from back yards that have probably gone to crushers because of those ads.

The Governor recently signed a SEMA iniated bill here that allows one to keep a classic car in one's back yard if the intent is to restore it, as long as it is kept out of sight. I wonder how that's going to work when the busy bodies on the city and county councils look to garner votes by passing local ordinances that force folks to remove old cars from their yards or have them towed away.

I hope Matt finds his car but the pessimist in me suspects that a church would have scrapped it immediately for quick cash rather than try to find a dealer interested in paying them for whatever parts value he can get out of it.
    Mike O'Handley, Cat Herder Third Class
    Kenmore, Washington
    hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
    '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
    '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
    '69 Pontiac Firebird
    (What is it with me and discontinued/orphan cars?)

Comment

Originally posted by hausdok View Post
      That doesn't bode well. The groups, including churches, that receive old cars as charitable donations around here usually have them crushed up for the scrap metal price. The paper is always running ads by some group or other asking folks to donate their well-used cars and these ads sometimes tout it as the "environmentally responsible" thing to do. There's a tree hugging mentality around here that kind of message appeals to. I don't even want to contemplate the number of classics removed from back yards that have probably gone to crushers because of those ads.

I hope Matt finds his car but the pessimist in me suspects that a church would have scrapped it immediately for quick cash rather than try to find a dealer interested in paying them for whatever parts value he can get out of it.
      There is a church organization in the Sacramento area that regularly lists their donated cars on eBay and sells them for whatever the high bid is (no reserve). I have noticed them list some unusual/collector (non-Studebaker) cars and I think that a couple of Studebakers that they were selling found their way to this Forum. To me, the six cylinder and "barely ran" probably finished the car off, maybe for body parts, like the one that Bob P. parted out (the other topic/thread).
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
        There is a church organization in the Sacramento area that regularly lists their donated cars on eBay and sells them for whatever the high bid is (no reserve). I have noticed them list some unusual/collector (non-Studebaker) cars and I think that a couple of Studebakers that they were selling found their way to this Forum. To me, the six cylinder and "barely ran" probably finished the car off, maybe for body parts, like the one that Bob P. parted out (the other topic/thread).
        Do tell?

There does seem to be a lot more enthusiasm toward old cars in California than I've seen elsewhere, so perhaps he'll get lucky.
        Mike O'Handley, Cat Herder Third Class
        Kenmore, Washington
        hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
        '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
        '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
        '69 Pontiac Firebird
        (What is it with me and discontinued/orphan cars?)

Comment

What color and transmission was it?

Comment

Originally posted by mgs174 View Post
            What color and transmission was it?
            Read the initial post. It states that it was "brown" and "Three on the tree" (standard transmission with column shift).
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
            X