No announcement yet.

A request from a past Studebaker owner.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A request from a past Studebaker owner.

A Studebaker I inherited from my brother
    Matt Joyce <matthewpatrickjoyce@gmail.com>
    To: candbstudebakers@sbcglobal.net
    I've been surfing the web for my long lost Studebaker. The short story is that my dear old brother died in a crash in 1998 when he was 26. He left me a 1965 Studebaker Commander. I started to restore it. Then I ran off to Seattle, chasing a girl. I donated the car to some Catholic Church charity group in Sacramento, CA and I can't remember their name, don't have any paperwork. Here's what I have: VNC112044. I think that's the VIN. The car was brown. Three on the tree. Barely ran. As the years go by, I continue to wish I'd never given it away. I can't express how much it would mean to get it back, restore it. I'd appreciate any help or direction to other resources.

--
    Matt
    Candbstudebakers
    Castro Valley,
    California

I hope that Matt finds his car. However, he may be very disappointed if and when he finds it. I recently located my 40 Nash Lafayette that I sold 30 years ago. The owner wanted 1,000 dollars for what became a parts car. The car has not been touched since I sold it. My plates, Greek Flag emblem and all of my interior work was as I left it. I do not wish to bust his bubble, but you never know what you will discover. Your mind paints one picture and reality.......
    1957 Studebaker Champion 2 door. Staten Island, New York.

"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think." -Albert Einstein

Comment

I wouldn't be so quick to discourage Matt from seeking the car. If it stayed in California, there is a good chance it has not rusted into the ground. Another plus is that it is a commander. Unless I missed it, there was no mention of it being a two or four door car. If it is a two door, that might bode better for survival. A few things that may not be in its favor...if it is a four door, brown color, and the last few years of increasing scrap prices.

If it has survived sitting outside, expect the sun to have trashed the interior. I wish the best for Matt.
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I'd wager it passed thru a Pick-a-Part yard long ago - with little or no notice as it did so. Hope I'm wrong, but I wouldn't put any money on him finding it.
        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Is there any way to tell from the serial number if it is a 2 door or a 4 door?
          Is so that may narrow a search. I would not encourage anyone to spend alot of time or money searching for it, but asking around places like this could end up in a favorable result.

It would be a little Ironic if he contacted Bob for help, and it turned out to be one of many Bob has parted and scrapped.
          Warren, don't you have a brown Commander of that year, or close?

Comment

I could not find this post when I looked so I started another with matt's name and phone just in case, and as strange as it might be I do not remember ever scrapping a 65 2 door or 4 door with a stick shift and V-8 the 3 65's I did scrap were a 65 Daytona with auto, a 65 4 door with a "6" and stick shift and a 65 cruiser with auto. so lets hop he can be lucky and find it, he came to the right place to start.
            Last edited by candbstudebakers; 01-23-2012, 10:17 PM.
            Candbstudebakers
            Castro Valley,
            California

Comment

Originally posted by candbstudebakers View Post
              I could not find this post when I looked so I started another with matt's name and phone just in case, and as strange as it might be I do not remember ever scrapping a 65 2 door or 4 door with a stick shift and V-8 the 23 65's I did scrap were a 65 Daytona with auto, a 65 4 door with a "6" and stick shift and a 65 cruiser with auto. so lets hop he can be lucky and find it, he came to the right place to start.
              Where do you get the V8 from? Serial Number C-112044 would be a six cylinder 1965 (about 1/4 through production).
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
              X