I think the radiator search might be over. C K cars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool/Heat: I think the radiator search might be over. C K cars

I've been looking for an aluminum radiator for the speedster off and on for a couple months and nothing seemed to provide an easy answer. Today I searched for "low profile aluminum radiator" and found this one on ebay.
    It looks like with just a little trimming on the inside of the radiator support this will drop in and easily clear the hood.
    There will have to be some adjustment to the inlet and outlet hoses but that is minor.
    I think there will have to be a brace across the top of the radiator support - but again easily done.
    It says "New" in the listing and I believe it is as I have searched their site before and not come across this one.

They have the same thing over at Speedway for $119

Comment

How about a part number? I'm looking at the new Speedway catalog and all I see are 19 inch tall radiators which won't fit.

Comment

Go to their web site and look around. I bought mine from Day Motor Sports, a Circle Track outfit.

Comment

I purchased two aluminium radiators for two 56J's I a redoing this winter.....http;//www.entropyrad.com .... one is 430 bucks and two are less each radiator.....exact look....exact fit

Comment

Originally posted by mike super View Post
            I purchased two aluminium radiators for two 56J's I a redoing this winter.....http;//www.entropyrad.com .... one is 430 bucks and two are less each radiator.....exact look....exact fit
            Details? I just looked at all 23 rads listed at that site (all for Chevrolet, nothing else; none seem to be that price of $430)

Comment

You need to email Tony directly and tell him what you want. Reference me, mike super and my 2 radiators....

Comment

hello mike and all:
                after using the original tanks from a c coupe and having them built into a 4 row copper radiator i found the rad would not cool a 454 big block
                I bit the bullet and had a aluminum cross flow radiator built and fabricated a 1 gallon reservoir tank mounted it on the firewall . I needed this as my engine is higher than my radiator
                the results were perfect runs at 200 degrees with a 195 degree thermostat. On a different note mike it would be intresting to see your speedster photos. the ones you emailed
                showed the front end from rene at slick street stuff. there has been many threads on rack and pinion steering and since i used the same suspension under my 53 c coupe.
                i am very anxious to hear how you are making out, since you have an expert installing your unit. I am a real amatuer and have had a lot of problems gettiing mine to
                work . and by the way looks like you are doing a really fine job on your spoeedster. I will call you one day soon to check on your progress Joedipipi@msn.com

Comment

Bryke,com sells FSR radiators. The double pass chevy style will fit fine,I believe it is the 19 " one.Very little modification required. I did a reservoir near the firewall too, smaller than Joe's, These radiators are just a couple hundred bucks, and well made. High output Spal fan and custom shroud allows Temps just as above, with turbochargers as well.

Comment

Can you supply a part number??

Originally posted by Alan View Post
                    They have the same thing over at Speedway for $119
                    I buy a fair amount from Speedway Motors. Can you supply a part number from their stock??

Comment

I don't believe that radiator is available at Speedway. I certainly could not find it. I am attaching a couple pictures of the radiator I purchased. I had to remove about 1/8" from each side of the inner radiator support to get it in. A 2 speed Lincoln fan fits the radiator perfectly with very minor trimming. I will have to remove a small area in the shroud for the bell crank arm clearance when doing the permanent mount. I also may have to adjust the lower outlet a bit but won't know until I determine the final height after I get the hood on. It may be fine as is though. If you want more pictures (possibly in focus) let me know.
                      When you add the shipping costs, Speedway would not be much cheaper if they did have it.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by 5brown1; 03-08-2012, 07:13 PM. Reason: More stuff

Comment

Would love to see more pictures

Originally posted by 5brown1 View Post
                        I don't believe that radiator is available at Speedway. I certainly could not find it. I am attaching a couple pictures of the radiator I purchased. I had to remove about 1/8" from each side of the inner radiator support to get it in. A 2 speed Lincoln fan fits the radiator perfectly with very minor trimming. I will have to remove a small area in the shroud for the bell crank arm clearance when doing the permanent mount. I also may have to adjust the lower outlet a bit but won't know until I determine the final height after I get the hood on. It may be fine as is though. If you want more pictures (possibly in focus) let me know.
                        When you add the shipping costs, Speedway would not be much cheaper if they did have it.
                        This appears to be the solution for us 53-55 C-K owners that are in need of a new radiator. I'd appreciate receiving photos of your installation. You could contact me at studeguy54@verizon.net.

You're a lifesaver!!

Comment

OK here are a few more. I plan on doing a tech post when I finally get every thing put together.
                          One note about the fan. It is a two speed from a lincoln or Tarus and requires some heavy duty relays. I have the same fan on my 37 coupe and it works great - low speed until the AC kicks on then it goes to high speed.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by 5brown1; 03-09-2012, 08:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mike super View Post
                            You need to email Tony directly and tell him what you want. Reference me, mike super and my 2 radiators....
                            I have been communicating with Tony after seeing your project about a radiator for my 54 Commander with an LS1. To get a radiator made to fit the existing support would be an all custom radiator and with dual fans would be $860 which is in the same ball park as Griffin. I'm not complaining, just passing my research on. I think the 55's have the same radiator as mine but I could be wrong.

Comment

At our local Avanti meeting Wednesday night one of the members just completed putting a Tuned Port Injection rebuilt 305 Vette Computer controlled motor in his '73 Avanti. His radiator sprung a leak in the process and he had it recored for a measly $538.00 and change. There seems to be some real variation in prices for radiators according to where you live. This was in the Chicago area.
                              sigpic[SIGPIC]

Comment

Working...
                              X