PDA

View Full Version : Magnum 500 Wheels question

Buck
01-21-2012, 06:15 PM
I sure like the magnum 500 wheels but I can only find 15x6. Someone said on that maybe they would scrub the fenders. Anybody have any experience with that?

Gunslinger
01-21-2012, 10:14 PM
15"x6" would be the appropriate Magnum 500 for an Avanti. A 6" rim will handle any 75, 78 or 70-series tire that fits the car. 15"x6" Magnum 500's is what Avanti Motors installed on their cars.

When I previously mentioned about scrubbing the front quarter panels I mentioned that can happen if your front coil springs have sagged. Years ago when I owned a '63 I installed a set of Keystone Klassic wheels in it in 15"x6"...they looked awesome on the car. Whenever I hit the bottom of a hill at any kind of speed the coil springs compressed and the tires would rub the quarter panels...that's how I learned about sagging springs on Avantis. No damage but after I replaced the coil springs there was no more problems.

Sagging coil springs in an Avanti is not an uncommon issue...even taking into account the age of the cars by now.

unclemiltie
01-22-2012, 07:35 AM
I have them on my 67 and have not had any issues with them. I am running 225 tires on them.

okc63avanti
01-22-2012, 08:58 AM
Just knowing the rim size (15" x 6") isn't enough ..... it is important to order custom wheels with the right backspacing as well. Bob Johnstone's web resource has lost of information on wheels and proper backspacing.

http://www.studebaker-info.org/

sweetolbob
01-22-2012, 09:18 AM
I sure like the magnum 500 wheels but I can only find 15x6. Someone said on that maybe they would scrub the fenders. Anybody have any experience with that?

Buck

My 74 has a set of 15" X 6" Magnum wheels with, I think, P235-70R 15's on them. there is no evidence of rubbing in the fenderwell. If you need the data let me know and I will verify tire size and back spacing on the rims.

Bob

pregna
01-22-2012, 02:11 PM
I have 15-6 on my 74 avanti. The only rubbing I had was on the right side, but the fender was damaged, when the radiator support collapsed. That was with 78 series tires, I just started with 70's and so far so good.

SN-60
01-22-2012, 09:55 PM
I've been running Magnums on My Avanti II for years---bulletproof. As far as I know, Nostalgic Motors still sell new centers to freshen up an older set of these wheels.

Buck
01-23-2012, 10:49 AM
What did the center cap look like on the Avanti? I have found the wheels with a liitle horse, and Ford crest and a Chrysler Crest. Reckon which one was close to Studebakers?

Gunslinger
01-23-2012, 11:44 AM
What did the center cap look like on the Avanti? I have found the wheels with a liitle horse, and Ford crest and a Chrysler Crest. Reckon which one was close to Studebakers?

The only difference is the medallion in the center of the cap. Avanti Motors used caps with Magnum 500 medallions for the most part, if they ever did apply the Avanti medallion at all. The "Avanti" circular medallions likely came along later, though they may have started after the Altman era. Those round medallions are available from Jon Myers, SI and other vendors.