Installing an Edelbrock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing an Edelbrock

The Hawk currently has the original 4-barrel on the 289. Though the car is a 62, the engine is likely a 57 (block is blue). I want to install an Edelbrock 500. I know I have read info on this in this forum but don't know how to retrieve it. From what I remember reading, it should be a simple bolt on replacement to the existing manifold but may need a different air breather due to hood clearance issues. Can anyone give me advice and walk me through it?

Regards,
    John

John Esmonde
    Holland Landing, Ontario
    Canada
    '62 Hawk
    '30 Chev Coach
    sigpicJohn Esmonde
    Holland Landing, Ontario
    Canada
    \'62 Hawk
    \'60 Lark Regal Convertible
    \'30 Chev Coach

Well, you might start here:

Or you could go to the top of this page and click on the search button (between "members" and "FAQ". Enter edelbrock in the search topic and scout around in the replys. After you read up a little, if you still have some questions, ask again.

Comment

Your intake manifold will need to be modified slightly to have an AFB fit without using an adapter plate, or thick gasket stack (secondary throttle blade interference). The adapter plate can cause some hood clearance issues on early C/K's and on Avanti's. An electric choke AFB has been the most popular style for most swaps. The choke stove tube(s) will need to be moved to clear the secondary throttle linkage on the AFB. The throttle linkage will need a slight trim to clear the intake manifold runner. A custom air cleaner will be required, unless you modify yours to fit. Several people around the US sell modified intakes that are a bolt on deal. Some also sell installation kits to make it even easier, including blocking off the heat crossover passage to keep the carb cooler. Pricing for a modified intake has been running around $150 outright and $100 with a core manifold in exchange.
      Hope the info helps.
      Jeff[8D]

DEEPNHOCK at Cox.net
      Homeless[u]</u>
      '37 Coupe Express (never ending project)
      '37 Coupe Express Trailer (project)
      '61 Hawk (project)
      http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I did this conversion on my 58 hawk with the 289 engine. If I can do it, anyone can. The only clearance issue I
        had was with the Edelbrock throttle linkage not clearing the intake manifold. I had no hood clearance problem with a new air cleaner.

To raise the new carb to allow the throttle linkage to clear the manifold, you'll need a spacer kit. (I also read that someone else did it without spacers by just
        grinding off some material on the Edelbrock carb linkage)
        I got my spacer kit at a speed shop that sells Edelbrock carbs;
        the spacers are simply thin gaskets, (the kit has several metals ones and several made of gasket material), just use what you
        need to raise the carb just enough.

My stock throttle linkage worked just fine with a little adjusting. I ran a manual choke cable from my dask to the new carb.

The instructions with my new Edelbrock carb were
        very clear on which ports on the new carb to block off etc.

Hope this helps.

Comment

sigpic
          Ross.
          Riverside, Ca.
          1957 Provincial X2
          1958 Transtar

Comment

Thank you to all! I now have a clue on how to use the 'search' function as well as some useful information. As always, positive and helpful response to a question that keeps non-mechanic Stude guys in the game.

Regards,
            John

John Esmonde
            Holland Landing, Ontario
            Canada
            '62 Hawk
            '30 Chev Coach
            sigpicJohn Esmonde
            Holland Landing, Ontario
            Canada
            \'62 Hawk
            \'60 Lark Regal Convertible