No announcement yet.

Halibrand magnesium wheels - new information on protecting them

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheels / Tires: Halibrand magnesium wheels - new information on protecting them

We've had many discussions on the Halibrand wheels and the properties as they age. Here's some recommendations I found on another automotive site:
    FWIW, with gravity cast magnesium race wheels, we recommend annealing them every 10 yrs or so. The U.S military uses magnesium wheels on fighters and throws them away after a certain number of hours of use. This is because magnesium can age-harden and get brittle whether sitting on a shelf or on a car. Cast magnesium isn't very dense, so micro pinholes easily become major problems. Annealing mag can be done in a kitchen oven at only 375F for two hours followed by VERY slow cooling to room temp. Some guys take the hot castings out of the oven, wrap them in several blankets and put them back in the oven till morning.

To do all four or five wheels at once, powder coating shops have large ovens and the right temperatures. If you can talk the operators into it, pay your powder coaters to hang your wheels in the switched-off oven overnight. There is no casting movement or distortion. Annealed wheels come out straight.
    If fifty years have passed and your Halibrands have never been annealed, your results may vary.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post

If fifty years have passed and your Halibrands have never been annealed, your results may vary.

jack vines
    These are words to the wise. We've had magnesium gearboxes that have integral oil tanks seep fluid after long periods of sitting unused, rendering them junk. It's worth it to take care of your equipment.
    '53 Commander
    Art Morrison chassis
    LS6 ASA/4L60E

Comment

All non-ferrus metals harden with age..to a certain point.
      I've not heard of this either. I'm gonna look into it though. I've got about 12 sets of Halibrands/Americans...laying around.

Mike

Comment

Working...
      X