King Pins - '64 Hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: King Pins - '64 Hawk

How do you tell if there is a need to replace the kingpins, bushings, etc.; or just the bushings, etc.? Thanks

Jack up the front of the car and try to move the top of the wheel in and out. If you get more than 1/8 inch, it's time to disassemble the assembly and examine the king pin. Once disassembled (not a half hour task, more like half a day) degrease and examine the king pin itself. There are two diameters that are ground on it. if either of them show a significant wear pattern it time to replace the king pin. If not worn, just replace the bearing and the bushing. Its best to have a Chassis parts book to see exactly where each piece goes.

Comment

If you find that replacement of some of the components is in order, check on the pricing of the complete front suspension overhaul kit at our suppliers. I know the complete Avanti kit I purchased from SI came with a significant discount. Once you take it apart, you'll understand why you want to do it only once.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
        If you find that replacement of some of the components is in order, check on the pricing of the complete front suspension overhaul kit at our suppliers. I know the complete Avanti kit I purchased from SI came with a significant discount. Once you take it apart, you'll understand why you want to do it only once.

Bob
        Having overhauled the whole front end up to and including reaming/fitting new kingpins/bushings on a 1954 Cadillac; you are quite right.
        --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Hi All.
          Just my .02..
          Be sure your wheel bearings are tight so the wobble you are checking isn't them!
          Ron
          63 R2 Avanti
          Conifer, CO
          Ron Husak
          Conifer, CO
          Living at 9200 feet and lovin it!
          63 avanti R2 63R-2648

Comment

Thanks for the tips, advice and direction!

Comment

Working...
            X