1955 President Speedster spotted with weird a/c

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1955 President Speedster spotted with weird a/c

I was driving back to work today when I noticed what looked like a Speedster out of the corner of my eye. Turned around and sure enough it was a 1955 President Speedster. Evidently the owner of the restaurant it was at also owned the car and put it there trying to sell it. Said it was his dad's and they used to have a restoration shop back in Oklahoma. The father wanted to do it back in a 50s-60s style ("he added louvers on the hood, spotlights, french the headlights, and moved the chrome around") but after he died it was left in a barn until the son got it. I looked inside and noticed a gauge for a supercharger. He said it had a supercharger on it but the bearing went out on it and they replaced it with dual 4bbl Webers (supercharger came with the car). Said it was a 259 bored .60 over. It had a 4 speed, 62 GT Hawk buckets, and had 1108 miles on it (original speedo in trunk). Though now it has 4 after the engine was redone I guess (trying to remember all that the owner said). Said they did a frameoff on it and replaced everything underneath but I can't say much for the appearance of the engine bay (wish I would have thought to grab a picture of it). Interior was unfinished and some windows were held up with wood. The coolest part was when he opened the trunk. It had some sort of trunk a/c unit. Said it blew cold air thru these clear plastic vents. Never seen one of these before. Wouldn't mind one in my 57. Not entirely sure of the going rate for these cars but it seemed a little steep at $9,000 based on the condition under the hood and the interior but for all I know it could be a bargain. Still, it did look fast and fun.

1957 Studebaker Silver Hawk (289)

One of the products of Novi, sponsor of the supercharged V-8 Indy cars, was a trunk-mount A/C unit. They almost caught on. If I had a Novi in the trunk, I'd be sorely tempted to adapt a Novi supercharger for the front office, and go the Full Ferguson.

Comment

There are some rare parts in that car. It sure looks to be Speedster trim in the trunk. Duel 4 barrel carbs, R4 manifold ? If I could have that I may have gone a different direction with my Speedster. $9,000 ???
      Klif
      55 Speedster/Street Machine
      63 Avanti R2
      64 Convertible R1

Comment

Lew Welch, the Novi's owner/creator, ran a chain of auto parts stores in the (late?) 50's. I'm pretty sure that A/C arrangement was his line, sold through his stores, so the relationship is a little closer than just a commercial sponsorship. But no, the compressor is not a Leo Goossen design. That would be some loud cold.

Comment

NOVI race cars were always controversial. Even the highly technical Ferguson 4WD car had a square tubing steel frame that was brazed together as opposed to being electric welded. This bothered one famous driver to pass
          on trying to qualify it. This didn't seem to bother Bobby Unser though, as He drove that car,( STUDEBAKER STP SPL. in '64,and STP GAS TREAT SPL. in '65). He survived the huge '64 second lap wreck in it, and actually 'snowplowed' other cars
          out of His way to get through the flames! This race car survives today, as does Bobby.

Comment

Here it is again

Comment

There is a 55 4dr President for sale here in Hazlehurst. It has the trunk mounted A/C. It was taken as a trade -in at the Chevy dealer. The Mechanic called me and asked me to come by and set the points for them. Seems no one there knows what to do with points. Asking price on this one is $6500.
              Neil Thornton

Comment

Kinda odd that there is a '53-'54 or possibly a '55 metal dash in the car and not the speedster fibreglass dash unless the gauge surrounds are from the original dash. The steering wheel and column are from a later car ('57 or later).

But there appears to be a lot of mix and match parts and it was not a finished custom. Should someone want to make it stock again, wonder if all the bits are there?

Also noted the generator is on the driver side? Assume due to the 'blower mentioned?

Jeff in ND

Comment

I don't see a compressor on the motor for A/C & the dash has a glove box door a no-no on a Speedster,I personally don't like cars that have been mucked with so would be hard pressed to give him $9k.There is a red one on Ebay that appears 2-B a better start.

Comment

A couple of REALLY nice photos of early FWD NOVI Indy Cars on Bob Palma's thread-- 'Gorgeous 1952 StudebakerDOHC V8' (In case It was missed)

Comment

Sold for $6,600. Wish he would have sold the supercharger and a/c separately. Would have been all over those.

Comment

To: DocHemi,-------- You don't happen to know the serial number of this Speedster? I'm attempting to update the 1993 roster of surviving President Speedsters. I have the body number, 6H-K7-547, from the e-bay ad. Thanks
                        ( See the Forum thread--- 'Counting '55 President Speedsters')

Comment

Working...
                        X