Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do I really need this troublesome hydrovac?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: Do I really need this troublesome hydrovac?

I am thinking of removing the hydrovac from my '64 Champ 3/4 ton pickup. I don't like the idea of a canister that has both engine vacuum and brake fluid systems together. I use silicone fluid, and I think my hydrovac is drinking it. In fact, I recall rebuilders tags on freshly rebuilt hydrovacs warning NOT TO USE SILICONE FLUID, OR WARRANTY SHALL BE VOID.

My question to those of you with 3/4 ton Champs is: Is the hydrovac something that greatly improves braking, or would it be a simple matter of me merely having to push a little harder on the brake pedal to achieve disired stopping capabilities?

I removed the one from my Lark about a week after I bought the car.
    It's now nine years and 97,000+ miles later of almost daily driving without regret.

While a Lark isn't a truck, the braking system doesn't know this...! And yea, just a little harder push on the pedal. Not a big difference.

Mike

Comment

it makes stopping a bit easier.....but it depends on how you drive the truck.....
      Last edited by jackb; 01-18-2012, 06:49 AM.

Comment

I guess if you were hauling at or near load capacity all the time, with a big weight in the bed giving you lots of momentum, you might appreciate the boost. But if it's not a "working" truck... probably no hit to taking it out of the system.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

The Hydrovac was used successfully on millions of cars and trucks for hundreds of millions of miles. There's nothing inherently troublesome about the Hydrovac when it is properly rebuilt and maintained. I've had one on my '55 E12 for thirty-five years and it's been rebuilt once about ten years ago. And yes, I definitely notice the difference when it's not there.

One other factor to consider; back in the day of soft asbestos linings, power brakes were a luxury; not a necessity. If drum shoes are relined with today's most readily available friction materials, the vehicle won't stop without power assist. Softer linings are available, but they have to be researched and confirmed that one is getting the good stuff.

The reason it's more difficult to get the correct soft brake lining for non-power brakes is all newer cars and trucks went to power-assisted disc front brakes and the linings furnished for their rear drums are much harder than suitable for non-power brakes. When this hard lining is installed on all four drums of a Studebaker, the result is we've had several threads on this forum about owners complaining how they can't stop their car/truck.

jack vines
          Last edited by PackardV8; 01-18-2012, 09:11 AM.
          PackardV8

Comment

I agree with Jack V. The problem is when the hydrovacs have been rebuilt so many tin=mes, AND if it was done properly (5 times ago) they are no problem. But now that Studebaker International has brand new ones! Why rebuild?

The other thing is to check the brake pedal, some of the power brake cars have a different pedal ratio! that will make a difference in how hard the braking is!

Jim
            "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
            their Memorials!

Comment

Working...
            X