Trans spacer and driveline angles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drive Shaft: Trans spacer and driveline angles

I've been searching here and Bob Johnstones to find guidelines for driveline angles and use of the trans mount spacer. My 57 Golden Hawk has an automatic trans. I read the half inch trans spacer is only for post 1961 models. Is that correct?

Anyone have the driveline angle specs for my car, or know where to find them?

Thanks!

Kirk
    My first car on the road again!

The old girl has never been sold to the public
    Grandpa was a Studie dealer. He got it off the car carrier in 1956 and drove it until 1959
    My dad: 1959-70

sigpic

Me: Since 1970 and counting!

Kirk, it's driver's side, '61-'64 cars. Check my post here for details.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by kirkdob View Post
      I've been searching here and Bob Johnstones to find guidelines for driveline angles and use of the trans mount spacer. My 57 Golden Hawk has an automatic trans. I read the half inch trans spacer is only for post 1961 models. Is that correct?

Anyone have the driveline angle specs for my car, or know where to find them?

Kirk
      Kirk, the spacer is used with the auto trans and the new style power steering, one 1/2" spacer under the driver side rear mount.
      Candbstudebakers
      Castro Valley,
      California

Comment

It is NOT just '61 up - it is all cars with automatic transmissions from '56 to '64, and is installed on the drivers side (left side on LHC cars naturally) and has nothing to do with power steering. It is to make up for the slight engine/transmission offset to the right for left hand control cars. Remember, the front mounts have two sets of holes in the frame pad and the engine is intended to be positioned in the most right side set of holes on a left hand control car. Likewise the spacer on the left rear mount also offsets the engine/transmission assembly to the right as needed. (Although, the Chassis Catalog does say the 532427 Spacer, round-1/2" is "Use as required.")

Comment

Originally posted by Studebakercenteroforegon View Post
          It is NOT just '61 up - it is all cars with automatic transmissions from '56 to '64, and is installed on the drivers side (left side on LHC cars naturally) and has nothing to do with power steering. It is to make up for the slight engine/transmission offset to the right for left hand control cars. Remember, the front mounts have two sets of holes in the frame pad and the engine is intended to be positioned in the most right side set of holes on a left hand control car. Likewise the spacer on the left rear mount also offsets the engine/transmission assembly to the right as needed. (Although, the Chassis Catalog does say the 532427 Spacer, round-1/2" is "Use as required.")
          It does have something to do with the power steering with out it the control valve will swing into the engine at one point , been there done that.
          Candbstudebakers
          Castro Valley,
          California

Comment

After I wrote post #4 (too late at night) I then recognized that the 532427 part number has to be much older than 1956 as I indicated. Sure enough, that spacer is used on automatic transmission cars back to 1951. At least, in the '51 - '54 Chassis Catalog, they do indeed state "Left side" and a quantity used as "One" (per car.)
            Bob (C & B) - I meant that the right side offset literally had nothing to do specifically with power steering - Clearance is clearance, whether power steering or not. As you found out, the offset to the right is indeed required for cars with the steering system on the left (LHC in Studebaker language)

Comment

Thanks for the help!

Kirk

Grandpa was a Studie dealer. He got it off the car carrier in 1956 and drove it until 1959

sigpic

Comment

Kirk, like I said before call Carl, 650-366-8787
                Candbstudebakers
                Castro Valley,
                California

Comment

Originally posted by candbstudebakers View Post
                  Kirk, like I said before call Carl, 650-366-8787
                  Thanks Bob, will do!

sigpic

Comment

Parts books lists the part # 532427 - Spacer, round 1/2" thick all models *
                    #287685- Spacer, square 1/4" thick all 58 *
                    so, which one goes on a 58 PH ? I assume the square 1/4" one?
                    64 Champ long bed V8
                    55/53 Studebaker President S/R
                    53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

Comment

Working...
                    X