Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FLANGED 44- outer axle seal differences and pictures.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Axle: FLANGED 44- outer axle seal differences and pictures.

Many places on the net you can find part numbers for outer axle seals for DANA 44 flanged axles.
    In some applications other than Studebakers,the outer seal is located on the axle between the wheel flange and the bearing. This allows the outer axle bearings to be lubed with the gear oil in the differential. Studebaker DOES NOT use gear oil for the outer bearings. You have to physically grease them.

A lot of times you will find NAPA 13165 , FEDERAL MOGUL 5131 or SKF 13165 listed as replacements for the old leather seal Studebaker used. This is NOT an acceptable seal. As you can see by the first picture it has a cone shape to it on the end that faces the axle flange/bearing. It sticks out so far it will not allow the bearing retainer to seat in the axle. DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THESE SEALS.

The seals you actually want to use are the CR 13157 or the SKF 13157. Also available is
    seal # 533161 sold by Studebaker International. The other picture shows both of these seals side by side. Either one is fine. The SI seal cost $18.00 each. I got the CR 13157 for $12.oo each from my local FLAPS. Do not trust the cross references at the parts stores because most will come back to the SKF 13165 variations above. Use the CR/SKF 13157's or SI 3 533161 and save some $ and stress!
    Attached Files

FLANGED Axle Seals?

I think you have a typo there! These are TAPERED Axle Seals, the '65-'66 Flanged Axle Seals are no longer available.

You are correct though, the 13165 Seal is for a Jeep Dana 44 Axle, and will not work in a Stude. even if you grind the excess off, do NOT ask how I know!
    Last edited by StudeRich; 01-16-2012, 11:27 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

No Rich, that is NOT a typo. Please don't insult me by believing I don't know the difference between a flanged axle and a tapered axle. ALL my Studes have flanged axles because I hate tapered axles and I won't use ANY. Those are the seals I used for my flanged axle. Look at my posting in the general forum titled " used axle fun "for reference to what axle I am working on. My only intent in posting this,with pictures,is to save any other guy from spending money on seals that a cross reference says will work and won't. If these seals also actually fit a flanged axle then that is fine and dandy. Sorry if this post is a bit testy,but I am offended you might actually assume I am so ignorant I can't tell the difference between a FLANGED axle and a TAPERED axle!

Comment

Sorry, not trying to say you are ignorant, but those Pics do not show anything that could easily be distinguished as a Flanged Axle and I forgot that the inner Seals actually fit those also.

I did forget that the seals I was refering to are the OUTER Seals called Bearing Seals on Flanged Axles, and are in very limited supply and no longer manufactured, you must have scored a pile before SASCO closed.

I have been running hundreds of Studes. for 50 years and never had the need to install one of the Flanged ones yet from my parts Cars, having never broken an axle yet, Lol maybe tomorrow is the day!
        StudeRich
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I've broken tapered axles with a 259 auto...so it's worth upgrading to flanged.
          Those seals wont work on all flanged axles however.
          R3's used beefier axles(larger diameter.)
          Bez Auto Alchemy
          573-318-8948
          http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Thanks for posting this, I wish this had been posted last September when I was needing these inner seals after install both prematurely in the 4.55:1 TT I was building. I ran all over my town looking for two seals or a good part number. I even went to my buddies shop where he went on the federal mogul site, needless to say I was pretty disappointed to find the wrong seal (just like your right picture) when I opened the package at my local FLAPS after he ordered it for me.

At least we have a part number to use at the FLAPS. Thanks again.

Allen
            1964 GT Hawk
            PSMCDR 2014
            Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
            PSMCDR 2013
            Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

This was a year old post and never got a conclusion.
              There are both inner and outer seals on Studebaker axles.
              The are two diferent flanged axle used.
              One is the O.E.M. flanged rear end axle and the other is the flanged axle setup sold by Phil Harris.
              The outer seal on the O.E.M. flanged axles used in late 1965 and all 1966 cars is 1562434 and the inner seal on both the flanged and tapered axles is 530573 (CR 13157)
              It is the outer seal 1562434 that is difficult to find.
              Does anyone have an after market number for this seal or has any N.O.S. seals in stock?
              Robert Kapteyn
              studebaker@mac.com

Comment

Originally posted by AKAchamptrucking View Post
                /Cut/Those are the seals I used for my flanged axle./Cut/If these seals also actually fit a flanged axle then that is fine and dandy.
                You are right Robert this post was never clear because of this contradiction. I think AKA Rich. was trying to say that's fine if they also fit TAPERED axles, because the whole time it was all about OEM Flanged Axles, which by the way as far as I know can no longer be used because there are NO outer Seals ANYWHERE!
                StudeRich
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Someone must have done some research on these seals and found a replacement.
                  I called Dana a long time ago to find out who made these seals and any other info but did not get
                  any info else than this was a design for Ford and was never adopted else than Studebaker.
                  Did anyone ever work on these or has these parts?
                  If anyone has any friends or relatives that work for Dana and find out more about these axles, please post here.
                  Robert Kapteyn.

Comment

I installed the 13165 seals on my car back in the late 90's and have had no issues that I'm aware of. The new lip location moves the seal edge to a different place on the axle shaft, avoiding the wear mark from the original seal.... . If it didn't work ok back then, I would have probably said the same thing you have but mine seem ok..
                    64 GT Hawk (K7)
                    1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Originally posted by 64V-K7 View Post
                      I installed the 13165 seals on my car back in the late 90's and have had no issues that I'm aware of. The new lip location moves the seal edge to a different place on the axle shaft, avoiding the wear mark from the original seal.... . If it didn't work ok back then, I would have probably said the same thing you have but mine seem ok..
                      I am pretty sure when you pull the drums next time you will find the remains of the crushed outer portion of the Seal which may have damaged the Hub.
                      I do hope you slide by on this one, but Wrong is still wrong, close doesn't work.
                      StudeRich
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

The 13165 seals are the inner seals.These prevent the oil in the differential from entering the bearing area.
                        I am talking about the outer seals 1562434.
                        These are used on both the 27 and 44 flanged axles on late 1965 and all 1966 sedans and wagons.
                        Robert Kapteyn

Comment

The first three digits of an SKF (C/R) seal indicate the shaft diameter.
                          If you get their 'Handbook of Seals' you can look up your I.D. requirements, O.D. reuirements, lip design, and lip material choice.
                          Then you can choose your seal number.
                          So..... You are limiting your current options by relying on 40, 50, and even 60 year old sources.
                          Yes, they are great for bone stock OE applications, but a lot of things have gotten changed over the years (like adding flanges axles).
                          I am not badmouthing the old info. It is great.
                          But there are more ways to skin this cat today.

Originally posted by rkapteyn View Post
                          The 13165 seals are the inner seals.These prevent the oil in the differential from entering the bearing area.
                          I am talking about the outer seals 1562434.
                          These are used on both the 27 and 44 flanged axles on late 1965 and all 1966 sedans and wagons.
                          Robert Kapteyn
                          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by rkapteyn View Post
                            /Cut/I am talking about the outer seals 1562434.
                            Robert Kapteyn
                            Yes Bob, I know. Quote Post #8: /Cut/"OEM Flanged Axles, which by the way as far as I know can no longer be used because there are NO outer Seals ANYWHERE!"

Even if we use Jeff's good up to date advice, if they cross to nothing currently in use, NONE is still what we have!
                            StudeRich
                            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I replaced a set of outer flange axles seals but seems I had the bore on retainer enlarged .060. Don't remember number off hand. The bigger problem is the bearing retainers are impossible to find.

Comment

Working...
                              X