detectives needed R2 Hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• detectives needed R2 Hawk

Saw this on ebay just now. Owner says it might be an R2. Anybody able to check the records for fun? (not my car).

Hmmmm....I hope the seller transposed some numbers!

He states the Serial Number is 64V8024. Well, that is a Laguna Blue Commander 4-door with overdrive!

However, 64V8042 was a Bordeaux Red Gran Turismo Hawk with no sport roof, base 210/289 engine, and Flightomatic. It was built with Body 807, per the subject car. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

To bad I can't read the motor numbers.
      Klif
      55 Speedster/Street Machine
      63 Avanti R2
      64 Convertible R1

Comment

Klif: The engine number is fuzzy, but does begin with either JT or JTS.

I'm certain it is not the original block. BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

This is the line in the ad that I was referring to:

"According to serial numbers the engine block was a supercharged engine, but the supercharger is not present."

This implies an R2 to me so that's why I was curious.

Comment

Wouldn't an originally R2 equipped Hawk have a tachometer? Looks to me to be a fairly basic '64 Hawk that has had an engine transplant. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing.

Joe
            sigpic

1962 Daytona
            1964 Cruiser
            And a few others

Comment

It's a '64 R2 engine, the date code is not completely readable though, but it looks like:

JTSJ---
              1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
              1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
              1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
              1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

I've seen articles in several different places that when Studebaker shut down US production, there were several hundred surplus JT and JTS motors, many of which ended up in boats, project cars, barns warehouses and older Studebakers. I have heard of a Portland (OR?) boat dealer that purchased a bunch of these motors back in the sixties. I've never seen confirmation of this, but it seems like there are a lot of pre '63 Studes with JT/JTS motors in them. Anybody know anything about this urban legend?

Comment

Sounds like wishfull thinking to me but I certainly hope your right !

Now we just need to find a bone yard full of these old boats and we can all have one, Of course to make all these boats run properly they will most likely have the super chargers on them.

Dean.

Comment

The boat dealer story was the real deal, I think they even sold some engines later in TW, but not sure about that.
                    JDP Maryland

Comment

Studefan, are you interested in buying this car? It is only about 30 or so miles from me. Do you need me to "eyeball" it for you?
                      John Clary
                      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

It looks to me like it COULD be Engine # JTS33 or 3511. Really impossible to be sure as Bob said without a good Pic.
                        StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

John, thanks for the offer but I was more curious than anything. Thank you though.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                            Klif: The engine number is fuzzy, but does begin with either JT or JTS.

I'm certain it is not the original block. BP
                            Nice looking car except for the seats, in the ad he states the engine number as JT1 that would make it a 64 engine with the one standing for an I and that would make it a Sept. engine right? and the 807 would put the car where?? here is what a real one looks like.

Candbstudebakers
                            Castro Valley,
                            California

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
                              Studefan, are you interested in buying this car? It is only about 30 or so miles from me. Do you need me to "eyeball" it for you?

John, If you go look at it let me know. It sold out of Clemson a few years ago but I didnt get an opportunity to get intimate with it then as it sold while I was enroute to see it. I am not a player on it but it was a very nice car from 40' away. Steve
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X