1958 Studebaker ??? First time owner of a Studebaker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1958 Studebaker ??? First time owner of a Studebaker

I am trying to identify, what car I really have. It is badged as a Silver Hawk, but it has a supercharger, and some other extras that I have noticed on the Golden Hawk. Can someone please help me with this or is it possible for the Silver Hawk to have the Extras from the Original Factory?

Hi, Chad: Welcome to our world! We're glad you're here.

As you suspect; no Silver Hawks were supercharged.

Answering your questions would be more easily done and more accurate if you would post three sets of numbers that don't require a camera:

1. The car's Serial Number, stamped on the plate between the two hinges on the drivers door hinge post.

2. (More importantly) The information (letters and numbers) on the car's Body Identification Tag. You'll find that under the hood, back on the cowl, at the very top of the cowl, kind of under the hood below the windshield wiper on the passenger side.

3. The Engine Serial Number. It is stamped on the front of the engine block on the driver's side of the car and looks something like this:

Post all those numbers and we'll be able to tell you a good deal about the car. Pictures would help, of course, but you may not have the ability to do that yet...and, besides, the numbers will supply more needed information.

Best wishes.

Bob Palma
    Technical Editor
    Turning Wheels
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Anything is possible to find on these old cars after 64 years.

Post the ID # (found on the driver's side door pillar) and the body number (found on the engine side of the firewall). Also some pictures of the car and the engine compartment would help.

Welcome!

EDIT:...Woops...Bob beat me to it.
      Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

It's very possible it's a Silver Hawk that's simply had the carburetor switched out and a supercharger added, no?
        Mike O'Handley, Cat Herder Third Class
        Kenmore, Washington
        hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
        '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
        '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
        '69 Pontiac Firebird
        (What is it with me and discontinued/orphan cars?)

Comment

I would bet that over the years there has been a large number of sliver hawks with superchargers added by owners, last year I sold and shipped a 58 silver hawk with a pumped up 289 and supercharged to Australia.

Here is what it look liked.

Last edited by candbstudebakers; 01-16-2012, 10:28 AM.
          Candbstudebakers
          Castro Valley,
          California

Comment

I will get the numbers for this, with all of this in mind what are the key eliments that will effect the value if there are added parts , I think the car is mostly original, I want to make sure that the Value of the car is
            what I will have into it.

Comment

Chad, we'll have to have those numbers and, hopefully, a photo or two of the car before any "key elements that will effect value" can be accurately and honestly discussed. BP
              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Is the car a hardtop or coupe?

Comment

Thanks to Everyone, The car is a coupe but I should have possesion of the car in the next week or so, I will then get some pictures and some #'s for this car posted. Either way I am happy with what I have gotten. It will be fun to learn more about these cars, As I am normally a pretty big Chevrolet fan with a list of cars 1955 Bel Air 2 dr, 1968 corvette cont., 1963 impala 2 dr, 1968 camaro, 1966 chevrlet C10 pickup, and a few other projects.

Comment

Originally posted by switzc View Post
                    Thanks to Everyone, The car is a coupe but I should have possesion of the car in the next week or so, I will then get some pictures and some #'s for this car posted. Either way I am happy with what I have gotten. It will be fun to learn more about these cars, As I am normally a pretty big Chevrolet fan with a list of cars 1955 Bel Air 2 dr, 1968 corvette cont., 1963 impala 2 dr, 1968 camaro, 1966 chevrlet C10 pickup, and a few other projects.
                    OK, Chad; we'll look forward to photos and numbers.

Meanwhile, given your Chevrolet predisposition, you'll likely soon hear from one of our more prolific posters, Bill Pressler, whose allegience to Chevrolets as well as Studebakers is legendary. BP

Comment

Working...
                    X