inside paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint: inside paint

My color expert volunteered to repaint window trim where years of arm out the window has worn off paint. And now asks me what kind of paint is it ? Duh ! it is 48 Champ. inside is mostly done in browns (floor mats, etc) the window trimlooks like it is a light tan over painted with a light bown. How's that for color descriptions ? is it enamel, lacquer, or what ? I hate to turn down my sweety's
    volunteering, I might could use some assistance on upolstery later on in the fix up stage. Appreciated
    all the help I get from everyone on 'the form'.

I believe Studebaker only used enamel. I know my 51 was enamel.
    \"Ahh, a bear in his natural habitat...a Studebaker!\"

51 Land Cruiser (Elsie)
    Jim Mann
    Victoria, B.C.
    Canada

Comment

I would be suprised if you ware able to find a Studebaker color code for the interior paint. Take a window frame and look at the unmolested paint on the underside of the lip. A good auto paint store should be able to match it. When I did a 42 I used the steering wheel dash mounting bracket as a sample for the color for the interior. The match was available for paint for a Chevy .

Comment

In trying different paints to get a high gloss w/o a lot of work, I have found that any engine high heat enamel gives a great gloss on parts. I have to redo the window surrounds on my 57 Champion and 63 Valiant and will use engine high heat black enamel. I know that lacquer paints are the paint of choice for modern cars, but the enamels work for me!
        1957 Studebaker Champion 2 door. Staten Island, New York.

"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think." -Albert Einstein

Comment

Last thing you want on interior trim is high gloss. It's a great reflector of distracting light. Manufacturers did not use it on interiors. Whatever formula you use should include some flattener. The inside of the glovebox door is often the interior trim color. Any paint jobber should be able to scan it to produce a formula.

Here's an excellent match for the Loma Gray interior in the '53 models.Click image for larger version

Name:	Loma Grey paint.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	1671741
          Last edited by rockne10; 01-14-2012, 02:21 PM.
          Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

At that point in time, it would have been an ordinary air-dry enamel. AFAIK, those paints are no longer available from auto paint suppliers, although I suppose you could get some Ace Hardware "Rust-Stop" enamel tinted to match. Most of their stores have scanners and can match a color sample almost perfectly. Modern acrylic enamel w/ urethane hardener will be similar in appearance, but will be much more durable. If you want to be really picky, an auto paint store can sell you a bit of gloss reducer to match not only the color, but also the gloss of the original. In any case, modern paints will last forever on interior parts.

Your choice, of course, but I would not use rattle can lacquer. It scratches easily and is not very durable.
            Last edited by jnormanh; 01-14-2012, 02:30 PM.

Comment

"Your choice, of course, but I would not use rattle can lacquer. It scratches easily and is not very durable." I totally agree with this. As to the light reflection, rockne10 is quite correct. However, I do not drive my cars that much so it isn't an issue for me.
              1957 Studebaker Champion 2 door. Staten Island, New York.

"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think." -Albert Einstein

Comment

I have used car body enamel.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I happened to see some excellent work on painted wood grain touch up on a Chrysler Airflow. This car was in Illinois and the owner indicated he got a small amount of paint from a local body shop. Is yours wood grain? If so and it is straight graining you can paint the base color and use a stiff artist brush (every family has to have an artist from whom you can swipe one) and lightly drag across the base color to get the grain effect.
                  If it is a complicated graining, burl, etc., there are kits and specail rolloers to do this. Check online.
                  Good luck and post some pictures before and after photos, you may drum up some business.

Comment

Working...
                  X