Will not go into third gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: Will not go into third gear

My 62 Hawk will not shift into 3rd. The throatle linkage is not original. I am thinking this is to short. I have a piece of all-thread and will make another rod. But the lenght is my question! Does anyone have an idea on this lenght?

My e mail address is Leroycook301@gmail.com

Floor or column shift?

Comment

Throttle linkage? For that to affect Transmission shifting it must be an Automatic, if that is the case you MUST use the correct Throttle rods available at Studebaker Vendors.

Most 3 speed manual column shift troubles are related to lever grommets, and shift rod adjustment due to the under the hood shift LEVERS on the column not being even (Level) in NEUTRAL.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Yes it is an automatic! I have the ends and 1/4 inch all thread. The one on the auto is not original. Since it is not shifting into the final gear I am hoping this is an adjustment problem. I would like to get this adjustment close. Installing a gauge with a long hose my be a feat that is difficult.

I was hoping to find this measurement some where!

Comment

Go here: http://www.studebaker-info.org/tech/...u/matmstu.html

Mike O'Handley
          Kenmore, Washington
          hausdok@msn.com
          Mike O'Handley, Cat Herder Third Class
          Kenmore, Washington
          hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
          '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
          '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
          '69 Pontiac Firebird
          (What is it with me and discontinued/orphan cars?)

Comment

The Bellcrank to Carb. Throttle Rod has a built in spring to allow it to stretch beyond wide open throttle without damage to the Carb. for kickdown of the Transmission on Overdrive and Automatic Trans. Cars.

That would be why the correct Rod Assembly is needed, it contains two sections to allow adjustment. That is why the only Rod that works correctly is the correct Rod. There is a straight Rod end for the four barrel Carb. and a angled one for the two barrel Carb. with a ball swivel on each end.
            StudeRich
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I had this problem on my car. It did not matter where you adjusted the rod it would not shift into high period.... WHen it was cold...... It would shift to high when completely warmed up. Have you tried that yet? New seals in the clutch drums solved my issue.
              1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

I believe he is asking about the throttle pressure rod at the bottom of the linkage? It mounts right next to the foot pedal, and not up by the carburetor.
                The linkage goes from there to the transmission throttle pressure valve (which is co-axial to the shift linkage). In other words, if you had the car on the hoist, there would be (from the transmission) a rod going to the shift linkage, and a second rod going to the throttle linkage.
                The length of the rod is about 18", but that is a guess. The correct way to adjust it is by hooking up a pressure gauge to the transmission as outlined in the shop manual.
                Bez Auto Alchemy
                573-318-8948
                http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Sorry I am not making myself clear. This rod I am asking about is the one that is on the carb. I have some all thread (1\4 X 28) and i want to make a new one.

Comment

OK, then please Read Post # 6.
                    StudeRich
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                    X