Need a Cigarette Lighter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a Cigarette Lighter

I have decided to add a cigarette lighter to the car to so I can charge phones, GPS's etc. Right now I just have a plug covering the hole. Since I am in the middle of installing the new wiring harness I figured now is the time. Anybody have one that would fit a 61 Hawk that they are willing to sell? I don't know how many different styles Studebaker used and I don't care if it is the original one for a Hawk. I just want one that fits and looks kinda like the ones they used back then.

Thanks
    Wayne
    Wayne
    "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic

I don't know what car you have, but lighter (or auxiliary power) plugs were probably one of the earliest accessory items to become "standardized" in the auto industry. As for wiring, most of these were "stand-alone" circuits. You have a couple of options depending on how you would like to use it. If you want maximum protection for the circuit, connect it to the protected side of the main circuit breaker of the main power wire coming through the firewall. That should provide constant power even if the ignition switch is turned off. Or, you could use a terminal on the ignition switch that is only powered when the switch is on. Either way...you should use an "in-line" fuse for added protection. I have one in my Lark with a lighted bezel so it is easy to see in the dark. Mine only has power when the ignition is on.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Thanks for the input John. I was shocked when I found a plug in the dash where the lighter should be. Made me wonder what those ash-trays in the door were for. Yes, I know, somebody probably removed it in the past.

Anyway, the goal now is to find one that will fit the 7/8" hole in the dash. If nobody has one they want to sell, a good picture would be much appreciated . I can take the photo to the autoparts store and try to find an aftermarket lighter that looks similar.
      Wayne
      "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by wdills View Post
        Thanks for the input John. I was shocked when I found a plug in the dash where the lighter should be. Made me wonder what those ash-trays in the door were for. Yes, I know, somebody probably removed it in the past.

Anyway, the goal now is to find one that will fit the 7/8" hole in the dash. If nobody has one they want to sell, a good picture would be much appreciated . I can take the photo to the autoparts store and try to find an aftermarket lighter that looks similar.
        Cigarette lighters were options. My '53 Commander did not have one.
        If you only want a power outlet, you can probably find one that will work in just about any auto parts store (on the help racks).
        Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
        '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Working...
        X