Good and SUPER Studebaker News!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good and SUPER Studebaker News!

'Just got off the 'phone with Malcolm Berry. Many of you know Malcolm as the fellow who owns the white 1963 R2 Daytona Wagonaire he drives all over the country. See photos of the car in Post #7, below.

Malcolm's call brought me/us up to speed on two items; one minor and one a Great Big Deal.

Minor Item: Phil Harris at Fairborn Studebaker changed telephone providers today; Tuesday, January 10, 2012. His 'phone service was down for several hours and when you called any of his numbers, a recording came on saying the number had been disconnected! That led several people to think something might be "wrong" with Phil or Fairborn Studebaker, but that is not the case.

The new phone service was up and running with the same telephone numbers as always within the afternoon, so there's nothing amiss with Phil Harris or Fairborn Studebaker.

Great Big Deal: On Thursday, January 5, Malcolm Berry's 1963 Daytona Wagonaire was the subject of a 650-odd image photo shoot inside and outside the historic Art Deco Cincinnati Ohio Union [train] Station and will be the subject of an extensive article in the very next edition of the glamorous quarterly(?) magazine, Motor Trend Classic.

(In fact, Malcolm was told that issue goes to press the third week of January!)

Anyway, Malcolm drove the car the 50 miles from his Dayton OH-area home to the Cincy train station early that morning, as he was to be in position by 7:30 AM. He met the MTC-assigned photographer, who Malcolm reports was as professional as she was attractive. (Although I wasn't there to make that call, I'll take Malcom's word for it.)

Malcolm says they had it all arranged with the train station to get the car into the beautiful atrium/rotunda, where they took hundreds of photos of his Wagonaire with the historic murals as a backdrop. See the third photo down in this link for an idea where they were:

Then, they pushed the Wagonaire back outside and waited for dusk, where Malcolm says they shot dramatic photos with "just right" lighting in the early evening.

Malcolm was interviewed extensively for what will be an accompanying article. He specifically requested "plugs" for both The Studebaker Drivers Club and Turning Wheels. The editor/writer, having been appropriately impressed with Malcolm's car and its interesting history, assured Malcolm they will appear in the magazine account.

'Can't say for sure when the next issue of Motor Trend Classic will appear on newsstands, but it sounds like this article and dramatic photos of Malcolm Berry's 1963 R2 Daytona Wagonaire will knock yer' socks off.

Congratulations and thanks for being such a good Ambassador, Malcolm, albeit not of the American Motors persuation.<GGG> BP
    Last edited by BobPalma; 01-11-2012, 04:43 AM. Reason: add photo reference
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Great news, indeed! Thanks, BP.
    1957 Studebaker Champion 2 door. Staten Island, New York.

"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think." -Albert Einstein

Comment

Thanks,Bob for the report and thanks to Malcolm for getting a Studebaker more face time with the motoring enthusiasts at large.
      If one young person reading Dads(or Moms)copy of the magazine develops a interest in Studebakers that would be great.
      Mono mind in a stereo world

Comment

As I've told Malcolm before, his car is probably my favorite Studebaker. Got a ride in it in CeRap! Only flaw I could find was the place of ownership

Keep us posted when the issue comes out. If there's any book stores left in my area by then I'll have to have a copy!
        Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
        Romans 15:13
        Deuteronomy 31:6
        Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
          .....Can't say for sure when the next issue of Motor Trend Classic will appear on newsstands.....BP
          NEWSSTANDS!...do they still exist? Shucks...something else I'll have to track down.
          John Clary
          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Love that wagon! I keep a picture of it on my tool box to remind me how I'd like to finish my wagon.

On a side note, I got a call from a guy near Seattle. he is working on an R2 Wagonaire that recently surfaced!! I'll pass the numbers to you when I get them. I am pretty sure this is an original installed R2 car.

Comment

Here is Malcom's wagon towing his Avanti...South Bend, 2007...

(Malcom...are those your legs, or are you riding a chicken?)

Here it is at Omaha...

Here are a few more of Malcom's Avanti. Absolutely perfect stance (and in every other way also) ...

Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

Comment

I received a very descriptive email from Malcolm on Saturday about his photo experience in Cincinnati. Sounded like an awesome experience and a very long day. Malcolm and Phil are both great ambassadors for the Studebaker Family of enthusiasts! Mike
                Mike - Assistant Editor, Turning Wheels
                Fort Worth, TX

Comment

Thanks for the photos, Dick. BP
                  We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

What fantastic news! If any person and his car deserves this kind of coverage Malcolm and his wagon are the ones. I first saw the car several years ago at the Tri-State Meet in Asheville, NC. It is as awesome in person as it is in pictures. Best of all it gets driven.
                    Joe Roberts
                    '61 R1 Champ
                    '65 Cruiser
                    Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Originally posted by JRoberts View Post
                      What fantastic news! If any person and his car deserves this kind of coverage Malcolm and his wagon are the ones. I first saw the car several years ago at the Tri-State Meet in Asheville, NC. It is as awesome in person as it is in pictures. Best of all it gets driven.
                      Right, Joe. Malcolm said Motor Trend Classic offered to pick the car up for him and trailer it the 50 miles to Cincy January 5th. Malcolm said "...nothin' doin;' if it's gonna be there, I'll drive it there!" BP

Comment

It is a very nice Wagonaire and well done. I would be proud to own it. With that said, I am surprised that MTC was interested enough in it to do a feature article on it. Is MTC aware of how modified the wagon is? Will they point out the modifications in the article? This reminds me of when a modified 1962 Hawk had major coverge in a magazine because it was a First Place SDC car. Later, the magazine found out that the First Place was in a modified category.
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                          It is a very nice Wagonaire and well done. I would be proud to own it. With that said, I am surprised that MTC was interested enough in it to do a feature article on it. Is MTC aware of how modified the wagon is? Will they point out the modifications in the article?
                          In the interest of historical accuracy and any readers who are unfamiliar with Studebakers, I also hope they point out the modifications as well. The could end up with a barrage of letters if they do not make mention of these modifications.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                            It is a very nice Wagonaire and well done. I would be proud to own it. With that said, I am surprised that MTC was interested enough in it to do a feature article on it. Is MTC aware of how modified the wagon is? Will they point out the modifications in the article? This reminds me of when a modified 1962 Hawk had major coverge in a magazine because it was a First Place SDC car. Later, the magazine found out that the First Place was in a modified category.
                            Somebody at Motor Trend Classic became enamored with Wagonaires and R2 engines.

When "they" found out the two could be had in the same car, they set out to do an article on one specific car: A 1963 or 1964 Studebaker Lark Daytona (OK, Gary; Daytona only in 1964) station wagon with sliding roof and R2 engine. Those were the "gimmies;" that's what they wanted.

Simply, Malcolm's was the best one they could find that filled the bill. It's no more complicated than that. BP

Comment

Only in '64!

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                              /Cut/ OK, Gary;Daytona only in 1964[/I]) station wagon with sliding roof and R2 engine. Those were the "gimmies;" that's what they wanted./Cut/
                              Opps, what? Daytonas only in '64! I don't think so, Malcomb's IS a Daytona!

I must have misunderstood our esteemed SDC CoOperator Columist!
                              StudeRich
                              Second Generation Stude Driver,
                              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                              X