PDA

View Full Version : Need help with 62 studebaker lark

1S.A.H.D.
01-09-2012, 07:02 PM
Hello all,

My wife is selling a 62 Studebaker Lark. It has a 350 small block Chevy Camaro motor in it with a matching 350 automatic transmission. It also has a Ford rear end. Pictures of it are attached. Can you give me an idea of its value? Also...if anyone in your club is interested...please let me know.

This car was rebuilt for my wife by her dad. He bought it for $1 from a former customer. It was a project for the both of them to work on together. Now, we don't drive it any more, and while we hate to let it go, it should not just sit there. A great car deserves to be driven and shown off!

Thanks,
Jeff
(951) 258-1486

52-fan
01-09-2012, 07:11 PM
That looks like a sharp car. I would not like to guess the value, but I wish I could afford it. Where are you located?

Steve T
01-09-2012, 07:18 PM
Ooooo a two-door sedan, I like it! I oughtn't try to advise on price; might end up making an offer...But FWIW, my own Stude is a '62 Lark two-door sedan, and similar cars in decent "driver" condition were running between about $3500 and $7k in Canada in 2007 before the bottom fell out of the economy. Values have not yet fully rebounded, but then your car has an updated driveline and looks very nice cosmetically. This forum is certainly a good place to get the car some exposure among Studebaker fans. I'll be interested to see what price suggestions other forumites (more knowledgeable than I am) come up with, given the similarity to my own Lark.

Checked area code 951...Riverside County, California.

S.

sweetolbob
01-09-2012, 07:28 PM
Jeff

That looks like a real clean car and engine install but I fear you are selling the car short with the photos you provided. Get it up in the air and take pictures of the entire under side as well as the engine compartment and dash. Get shots of the out side from all angles.

I can't tell you what it's worth but I'll bet it's a lot more with better photos.

Not being critical but ask yourself what would you need for info to buy the car.

Welcome also, too bad you want to sell it, it and you would be welcome here.

Bob

1S.A.H.D.
01-09-2012, 07:28 PM
That looks like a sharp car. I would not like to guess the value, but I wish I could afford it. Where are you located?

Riverside Ca

thanks yep me and my farther-n-law put in the v8 and 350 trany so she could drive it. Three on the tree manual she just couldn't do lol

1S.A.H.D.
01-09-2012, 07:31 PM
Jeff

That looks like a real clean car and engine install but I fear you are selling the car short with the photos you provided. Get it up in the air and take pictures of the entire under side as well as the engine compartment and dash. Get shots of the out side from all angles.

I can't tell you what it's worth but I'll bet it's a lot more with better photos.

Not being critical but ask yourself what would you need for info to buy the car.

Welcome also, too bad you want to sell it, it and you would be welcome here.

Bob

Will do thanks, didn't know how many pics that I can post

Jeff

dean pearson
01-09-2012, 07:34 PM
That is a really sweet looking car that you would like to assume has (no) or very little rust.
Plus a car is worth what any given person is willing to pay for it depending on how bad they want it.

I want that car! (badly) and will just assume that I can't afford it.

Dean.

Bob Andrews
01-09-2012, 07:37 PM

Jeff

VERY nice. Personally I want Stude power but there are plenty that will like that combo.

You can post all the pictures you like but only five will fit per post.

Dick Steinkamp
01-09-2012, 08:26 PM
I sold a very similar looking 63 Daytona Hardtop for $8,500 in 2009. Yours looks every bit as good if not better in the few pictures...

http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww63/dstnkmp/63%20Daytona%20done/PP026.jpg

http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww63/dstnkmp/63%20Daytona%20done/PP039.jpg

http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww63/dstnkmp/63%20Daytona%20done/PP041.jpg

I believe the 2 door sedan is just as desirable as the hardtop.

Although you will find some here who want their Studebakers all Studebaker, the market for your Chevy powered Stude is far bigger than that for a stock Studebaker. Bigger market...more potential customers....higher price.

The car will need to be rust free to bring top dollar. Where you are located will make a difference. The cost to transport a car will be a factor to buyers out of your area.

I'd suggest eBay. Low starting bid. Realistic reserve. Detailed description including any "warts". GOOD pictures to not only show off the car, but also to provide potential buyers with more detail than words can provide.

Pretty car. Good luck.

sweetolbob
01-09-2012, 08:46 PM

Jeff

Jeff

If you really want to do a lot and have photobucket or equivalent, just make an album and post a link to it.

Secondly, a lot of vehicles don't sell here but if you decide to go to Ebay, look up a seller (Goldenhawk) and see how he advertises on Ebay. His handle here is JDP and he does an excellent presentation to sell cars. He will also list for you, or at least did, for a fee.

Good luck.

Bob

1S.A.H.D.
01-10-2012, 01:54 PM
Thanks all,
Yea the reason we are selling it is to go back east and see family with her dad and grandpa while we still have them. You see we lost my grandma 1 week before Christmas and her great aunt 2 weeks before Christmas.

Anyway I've got more pic and a price of $9700 (what do you all think)

Thanks all again

Jefff

1962larksedan
01-10-2012, 06:18 PM
Dayum: that's a pretty 1962 there............ :)

Bob Andrews
01-10-2012, 06:26 PM
Anyway I've got more pic and a price of $9700 (what do you all think)

Beautiful car that looks well done. Even still, I would guess the current market is half or less of what you're asking. Somewhat more in the Spring.

I know that's not what you're hoping to hear.

The best way to determine true current market value is to list it on eBay, with plenty of good pictures and good description. Start with a $500 opening bid and put the reserve where you want. If it doesn't meet reserve, you will at least have a pretty accurate market appraisal.

Good luck with your sale.

Dick Steinkamp
01-10-2012, 06:44 PM
#1...your odds of selling it on this forum are low. Lots of CASO's here (Cheap a$$ Studebaker owners :))...BUT if you take Bob's advice and want to sell it for $4750, let me know and I'll send you a check today.

#2...I think your price is in the ball park for the car if it is rust free and as good as it looks. Pricing it is the easy part. Marketing it is the tough part. I agree with Bob about eBay. See my earlier post on this.

31Streetrod
01-10-2012, 06:53 PM
Jeff, don't be misled, the current market value is a lot more than "half or less" than what you are asking. As Dick Steinkamp said in the above post, you will have a bigger market for your car with the engine and trans swap than if it was still all stock.

31Streetrod
01-10-2012, 06:56 PM
Dick........I'll see your $4750 and raise you $250. :)

JRoberts
01-10-2012, 07:12 PM
Beautiful car that looks well done. Even still, I would guess the current market is half or less of what you're asking. Somewhat more in the Spring.

I know that's not what you're hoping to hear.

The best way to determine true current market value is to list it on eBay, with plenty of good pictures and good description. Start with a $500 opening bid and put the reserve where you want. If it doesn't meet reserve, you will at least have a pretty accurate market appraisal.

Good luck with your sale.

I have a friend that has been looking for a good Lark and would love a car like this, but in our neck of the woods a car like this one would be going for at least the asking price. At $4750 he would probably even consider having it shipped to him here. I agree that the asking price is very fair.

Bob Andrews
01-10-2012, 07:14 PM
Jeff, don't misunderstand- I didn't say it wasn't worth around what you say- it would be hard to build for that price- I just doubt the current market value is up there. You have both the current economy and the time of year working against you.

Your location as it relates to a prospective buyer is a factor as well.

As requested, that is what I think. Could be wrong, but experience tells me otherwise.

1S.A.H.D.
01-10-2012, 07:32 PM
Well we live in Southern Calif and trying to get a feel for a price so we can
go back east and see family with her dad and grandpa while we still have them.
You see we lost my grandma 1 week before Christmas and her great aunt 2 weeks before Christmas.
and family is worth more than the car. So for the trip we need at lest $8000 and we saw the car

thanks all

your help has been most helpful

Jeff

1S.A.H.D.
01-10-2012, 07:35 PM
I have a friend that has been looking for a good Lark and would love a car like this, but in our neck of the woods a car like this one would be going for at least the asking price. At $4750 he would probably even consider having it shipped to him here. I agree that the asking price is very fair.

Shoot we will be in your neck of the woods in June some time

62champ
01-10-2012, 09:27 PM
Shoot we will be in your neck of the woods in June some time

There you go - save some money and drive the car back east, sell it to some needy Studebaker folks and then you can finance your stay and return trip!

Warren Webb
01-10-2012, 11:44 PM
Your car is impressive. I especially notice the detail in the small things like the shift indicator. It looks as its been changed to reflect the pattern of the G.M. 350 trans. The interior is neatly done & the underhood photos show craftsmanship. When you put it up for sale show pictures of the underneath, especially the bottom of the "A" pillar on both sides. Other than the rear edge of the front fenders, this is the next most rust prone area on a Stude. I understand the expense of seeing family back east- I have been in that position for the past 39 years. Best wishes, Warren

1S.A.H.D.
01-26-2012, 06:49 PM
So Iv'e made a photo album

http://www.koldechristmas.com/studebaker.htm

thanks all for your info

Jeff

cosmoapt
03-13-2012, 11:27 AM
Hello all, I have a 62 Lark Convertible I want to put a 350 V8 in with trans and the ford rear end. Does anyone have steps for doing this? Im very mechanical. I just would like to see if someone has documented this so I don't run into any issues that have already been tackled.

like mounts, what year engine, how to complete the ford rear end swap, front shocks etc. Thanks gents.