Time for painting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time for painting

Finally, I am getting my Packard hawk out for paint stripping, body will be completely taken down to bare metal and the Jewel beige will be history (wanted a P.H. since 1975, but not a Beige one) New color? Here's where I need your help. Was thinking of two tone blue, however, I really like the Purplish color that I've seen on other 58's. What color is it?
    I think it may be the Shadowtone Red Metallic. Am I right?
    sigpic

Packardbakerly,
    J.D.

Was it beige originally?

Comment

I believe it is, my late '58 Commander was that color, I loved it as well! It would look pretty sharp on a Packard Hawk; what was your thoughts on the fin color?
      Dylan Wills
      Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
      1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
      1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
      1914 Ford Model T

Comment

Originally posted by J. D. ENGLER View Post
        Finally, I am getting my Packard hawk out for paint stripping, body will be completely taken down to bare metal and the Jewel beige will be history (wanted a P.H. since 1975, but not a Beige one) New color? Here's where I need your help. Was thinking of two tone blue, however, I really like the Purplish color that I've seen on other 58's. What color is it?
        I think it may be the Shadowtone Red Metallic. Am I right?
        You might be thinking of Loch Blue (Duco 2832) - that's a '58 color that looks almost purple but it's not shown on the list of two-tone colors. I've never seen it used on any Packard Hawks though. If you're interested in authenticity, it seems like authentic P.H. colors are pretty much limited to Waterfall Blue, Surf Green, Parchment White, Canyon Copper Metallic, Parade Red, Mountain Blue Metallic and Jewel Beige(Pink :-( ). Shadowtone Red Metallic is on that list but there is no color swatch for it there. I think I've seen that used for roofs but never the entire car body. To me it looks more maroon than purple.

You can see all of the official '58 color choices plus the official two-tone schemes at the Packard Club Library. Click here.

Mike O'Handley\
        Kenmore, Washington
        hausdok@msn.com
        Last edited by hausdok; 01-08-2012, 06:08 PM.
        Mike O'Handley, Cat Herder Third Class
        Kenmore, Washington
        hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
        '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
        '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
        '69 Pontiac Firebird
        (What is it with me and discontinued/orphan cars?)

Comment

I saw one in" white gold" at the 75 international at Irving Texas...It was stunning......ok, looking at the link provided by Mike, it looked more like "Bluff Grey" metallic
          Last edited by bezhawk; 01-08-2012, 06:26 PM.
          Bez Auto Alchemy
          573-318-8948
          http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

It was all beige, I saw a 58 Golden Hawk with fresh Jewel Beige paint job, and I admit it looked nice, but the color isn't for me.
            I have seen other 58's with jewel beige roof and the purplish color that I was refering to, and thought that be a nice color combination with the gold mylar on the fins
            Last edited by RareBird; 01-08-2012, 06:34 PM.
            sigpic

Packardbakerly,
            J.D.

Comment

I agree. Originality is important, but that 'jewel beige' color really does nothing for a Packard Hawk. Check out Joe Parson's '58 Golden.

Comment

Yes the dark red/purple mix is Shadowtone Red. If need be, in the spring I could send you pics of my 58 Packard Sedan. It is all original and done in that color.

Comment

Geez Ed, now you have really hurt my feelings!
                  Brian Greenall
                  Melbourne, OZ
                  sigpic

Comment

Just checked out Joe Parson's 58, and loved it. According to Mike Williams there were only 2 Packard hawks - Shadowtone Red Metallic over Jewel Beige (P5855) combonations and after looking at Joe's I have made up my mind to go with those colors for mine. My wife doesn't care much for the Beige (or the catfish either ) however these colors will make it stand out much better.
                    sigpic

Packardbakerly,
                    J.D.

Comment

Originally posted by J. D. ENGLER View Post
                      It was all beige, I saw a 58 Golden Hawk with fresh Jewel Beige paint job, and I admit it looked nice, but the color isn't for me.
                      I have seen other 58's with jewel beige roof and the purplish color that I was refering to, and thought that be a nice color combination with the gold mylar on the fins

Purple & Gold! GO HUSKIES!!!!
                      1960 Lark VIII Regal Wagon

Comment

To: packard hawk 58--- Sorry Stude Sovereign, Your workmanship is A#1, but the jewel beige main body has been, and will always be, a tough sell. Still, I do understand- 'original is original'.

Comment

this might be a better question in a new thread, but aren't a lot of our color preferences on certain cars linked to what we saw in the past, see in adverts, or on the road/car shows?

"all corvettes are red". the first car i remember was dad's 56 olds red & white two tone. the 1st avanti i rode in (a church member's) when i was around 13, was gold. most of lee iacooca's "cab forward" chryslers in the late 90's, were in ads, shown in gold paint. most of the packard hawks i've seen for sale are beige.

just wondering...

and i think the purple and gold would be cool. heck, i almost bought a chameleon trans-am around 12 years ago. and you can see, my avanti wasn't gold...
                          Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Originally posted by Corvanti View Post
                            this might be a better question in a new thread, but aren't a lot of our color preferences on certain cars linked to what we saw in the past, see in adverts, or on the road/car shows?

"all corvettes are red". the first car i remember was dad's 56 olds red & white two tone. the 1st avanti i rode in (a church member's) when i was around 13, was gold. most of lee iacooca's "cab forward" chryslers in the late 90's, were in ads, shown in gold paint. most of the packard hawks i've seen for sale are beige.

just wondering...

and i think the purple and gold would be cool. heck, i almost bought a chameleon trans-am around 12 years ago. and you can see, my avanti wasn't gold...
                            Correct Corvanti, car builders do surveys to see what colours they are going to paint the new model, just what was popular in 1958 dosen't mean it is now. I understand that if you don't like the colour you are not going to paint your car in it. I bought a r2 Lark that is black, I am going to paint it blue mist, cause I saw one in that colour and I liked it., still that car is rare and should be painted in the original colour, but I don't like black.
                            Apoligies accepted, you know I am only kidding ED, must give you a call and catch up.
                            Brian Greenall
                            Melbourne, OZ
                            sigpic

Comment

What is suprising is that beige color (colour for the down under folks) is back again. I've seen several in Toledo area, however, I don't think anyone will see a beige Packard hawk in this area anymore
                              sigpic

Packardbakerly,
                              J.D.

Comment

Working...
                              X