'63 Super Lark???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '63 Super Lark???

Has anyone with knowledge looked at this car? From what I've picked up on the forum there were no '63 Super Larks, only '64s.

Looks legit. You can distinctly read 33A: Jet Thrust Engine w/ Supercharger on the Build Order within the ad.

I can't read enough of the other material to ascertain if it is a full-package Super Lark. If someone can enlarge that P.O. and get the Serial Number, we can find out. 'Looks like a five-digit number after 63V, so it could be a full-package car.

Yes, there were many full-package 1963 Super Larks built; 88, to be specific (plus 57 Super Hawks). Many others had an R1 or R2 engine but were not full-package Super Larks or Super Hawks. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

He states: "NO LOW BALLERS", but you don't even know where he is starting from on a price, so how would you know if an offer is low or maybe even high?
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

OK, I've had some time to research this car from what can be made out on the Production Order posted. I can't make out the Serial Number for sure, but it is five digits after 63V.

What can be made out are these items:

1. The color is (was) Rose Mist.

2. It has (or had) Chestnut Vinyl Interior.

3. It has an R2 engine.

4. It has heavy-duty, column-shift Flightomatic.

So the question becomes: How many 1963 Lark Daytona Convertibles did Studebaker build in that configuration?

And the answer is: ONE. That car's Serial Number has to be 63V10598, the only 1963 Lark so configured.

That number is too low to be a full-package car, and the production records confirm it is not.

So it is a legitimate factory R2 1963 Lark Daytona Convertible and it is not one of the 88 1963 Super Larks built (all body styles; not just convertibles).

This should answer the question. BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
          Looks legit. You can distinctly read 33A: Jet Thrust Engine w/ Supercharger on the Build Order within the ad.

I can't read enough of the other material to ascertain if it is a full-package Super Lark. If someone can enlarge that P.O. and get the Serial Number, we can find out. 'Looks like a five-digit number after 63V, so it could be a full-package car.

Yes, there were many full-package 1963 Super Larks built; 88, to be specific (plus 57 Super Hawks). Many others had an R1 or R2 engine but were not full-package Super Larks or Super Hawks. BP
          Bob, I tried adding and subtraction contrast and then brightness, the best I could do was 63V 10769 JTS 1298

See if that comes up with anything.

Allen
          1964 GT Hawk
          PSMCDR 2014
          Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
          PSMCDR 2013
          Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

Bob,
            I've just done the same and I agree. You will also note the location matches the JT list.
            Leon Martin, Australia.

Comment

Pardon my ignorance, but if a car was produced like this at the factory. And is confirmed by the build sheet.It has all the goodies that any self respecting R car should have. Even if the serial number is low. What is it missing,
              besides the front bumper? The powered by Avanti emblems? Or is it the floor mounted shifter with the regular HD flightomatic.

Comment

Originally posted by studebaker-R2-4-me View Post
                Bob, I tried adding and subtraction contrast and then brightness, the best I could do was 63V 10769 JTS 1298

See if that comes up with anything.

Allen
                Thanks, Allen. You see the answer in the post right above yours. You were probably working on your "enhancement" while I was posting that.

The actual engine number is JTS1279. (As fuzzy as it is, I'm surprised you got as close as you did! I sure couldn't get that close.)

Cheers and thanks. Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Samjoe View Post
                  Pardon my ignorance, but if a car was produced like this at the factory. And is confirmed by the build sheet.It has all the goodies that any self respecting R car should have. Even if the serial number is low. What is it missing,
                  besides the front bumper? The powered by Avanti emblems? Or is it the floor mounted shifter with the regular HD flightomatic.
                  Sam, a Full Package (hence, Super Lark, as defined by Studebaker, not me) would have Twin Traction, Heavy-Duty Springs, and Heavy-Duty Shock Absorbers. Also, as you say, it would have a floor-shift Powershift transmission (if it was an automatic), which is a different transmission than a heavy-duty, water-cooled, column-shift Flightomatic, in addition to being floor-shift. The subject car has "none of the above," per the records I have.

There may be other ways this car differs from a full-package Super Lark, but that is all I can report from what I have in front of me, and from not being able to read that Production Order posted in the Craigslist link.

If someone is able to pull up that Craigslist P.O. so it is more readable, I may be able to further answer your question. BP

Comment

Originally posted by martincl View Post
                    Bob,
                    I've just done the same and I agree. You will also note the location matches the JT list.
                    Good, Leon; thanks. BP

Comment

Owner emailed me clear pics price is $39,000.00 poss trades.

Does this car have electric windows? Or does elec wind mean something else never heard of a lark with electric windows.
                      John

62' Deluxe R2 4SPD.

63' R1 Wagonaire

57' Transtar 259 punched to 312 NP540 4:09 TT Under Construction

58' 3E6D Stock 4X4

64' (Studebaker Built) Trailer Toter

Comment

Thanks guys,
                        I'm always amazed by the amount of info you guys have. Bob, thanks for the lesson on the super larks. I think the car looks great but out of my price range. Is the car as rare as he claims?

John

Comment

Originally posted by Jeb View Post
                          Thanks guys,
                          I'm always amazed by the amount of info you guys have. Bob, thanks for the lesson on the super larks. I think the car looks great but out of my price range. Is the car as rare as he claims? John
                          Oh, I'd say it is quite rare, John.

Few R-powered cars were originally Rose Mist, and the number with an R engine and heavy-duty, column-shift Flightomatic I am sure is quite small. (I could find out exactly, but don't have the time right now to go through all the records again!)

And, of course, it is a convertible.

I mean, how much rarer can you get than one of one! BP

Comment

I know this car pretty well,as I was the one who told him it was a legitimate R-2 car.It has been for sale for years and I have tried to buy it from him several times,he would never give me a price.Here's what I know about it:Was repainted years ago the wrong color,the interior was dyed black at he same time.The original engine was blown up and replaced with reg 289,supercharger cradle and water manifold are from a Golden Hawk,transmission was switched to a power shift on the floor,incorrect radiator,ford 9" rear end from a Lincoln Versaille.It's not a bad car,just a little incorrect,I would classify it as good driver.Hope this helps somebody.If anybody is serious about it I would be happy to look at it again and give you detailed description of it.I'm no longer interested in it.
                            Steve
                            36 Dictator cpe
                            36 ST.regis custom 2dr sedan R-2
                            37 Coupe express R-2
                            50 Champion convert
                            54 champion cpe
                            59 3/4 p/up 4wd
                            63 Custom R-2
                            63 GT hawk R-2 Motor Trend Hawk/Chicago Show Car
                            63 Avanti R-2
                            63 Avant1 R-2
                            64 Commander R-1
                            64 Challenger R-3
                            58 Packard hawk
                            64 Champ
                            2-63 Wagonaire's
                            62 E40 Transtar
                            55 3/4 T pickup
                            64 Daytona
                            Brand X :
                            70 Duster 340,56 Chevy Del Ray,49 Jeepster,58 Plymouth Belvedere,67 IH Travelall,58 IH Golden Anniversary

http://www.studebakersteve.com

Comment

Originally posted by 289stude View Post

Owner emailed me clear pics price is $39,000.00 poss trades.

Does this car have electric windows? Or does elec wind mean something else never heard of a lark with electric windows.
                              No, that always confuses people, John. It means electric windshield washers.

'Good to see this document up close. It does confirm:

1. The Serial Number and Engine Number we had determined earlier by elimination.

2. The colors and upholstery we had determined earlier.

3. The Build Date of October 25, 1962. Definitely an early '63 model year car, months before the Super Package was put together.

4. The confusion they were having specifying some of these early R-powered cars. The notation 4bbl carb is superflous and means nothing on this P.O., as does Wet Air Cleaner occasionally seen on R1-powered cars.

5. Also confusing here is the notation for both Bucket Seats and Reclining Seat / Split Cushion. You could get reclining bucket seats or reclining seat / split cushion, but not on the same car! Since this car has a column-shift transmission, it could have been equipped with either one! Only inspecting the car as shipped would confirm one or the other.

6. Finally, the destination of Los Angeles and Tag: W.H. Kough. I dont know a W.H.Kough, but it sounds like maybe somebody important in the L.A. Zone Office...or his cute, teen-age daughter blew in Daddy's ear for such a Kool Kar! (BTDT)

Interesting from many angles. I'm glad this came up. I really like Chestnut interior against Rose Mist. 'Kind of wish it was still so configured. BP

Comment

Working...
                              X