valleyguy
06-24-2007, 10:13 AM
I just reinstalled my dash, having replaced the switches,
cleaned everything up, etc. Everything seems to work ok
now except the gas gage. Maybe one of the electical guru's
out there can help.

The gas gage worked before I removed ok
the dash and wiring. I reinstalled the same gage, and the
two wires (red/black, white/black) reconnected the same way.
Now, the gage needle startes to move up slowly when the ignition
is turned on, as before, but then... the needle keeps on going slowly upwards then jumps to the full (top) position and stays there, until I turn off the ignition. What is the likely
culprit? Tks,

vegas paul
06-24-2007, 11:39 AM
My gauge reads full when grounded. I suspect you have a ground.

Las Vegas, NV
'51 Champion Business Coupe G899965 10G-Q4-1434
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s144/vegas_paul/1462673_2_350.jpg?t=1180041622 http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s144/vegas_paul/graciestude.jpg?t=1180041703

starlightchamp
06-29-2007, 09:27 PM
Your gas gauge symptoms are identical to mine a few months ago. It woild register slowly
up to half full and then snap to full independent of the tank fill. I put it on the bench with a 12 volt source and a tank sender and as I decreasedthe voltage toward ground ,it would snap.
As I understand the "innards" , the needle is moved by the heating of a bi metallic element like your house thermostat. Two elememts are used, opposed to each other such that the needle slowly moves. I suspect one of the elements has given up the ghost. I found a replacement gauge on line, and they are rare. My advice is to check all the grounds and if still the problem, contact an instrument repair place. Perhaps others can suggest a good one for studebaker instruments. One of these days I'm going to open the broken thing and watch the action.
Good Luck
...Dick

gordr
06-29-2007, 10:10 PM
try disconnecting the wire that goes to the sending unit. If the gage still goes off-scale, then likely it's a fault in the gage itself. If not, could be that the wire to the sending unit somehow got pinched under a bolt when the dash was replaced, and is shorted to ground.

Make certain that the two wires are in fact on the right studs.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

valleyguy
06-30-2007, 08:25 AM
I did as you guys suggested and it turns out it was the gage
itself. Don't know why it decided to fail at this particular time but.. it is rather "old". Fortunately, I had forgotten that
I had another gage that came in the trunk of the car when I bought it; I tried to sell it on ebay some time ago but no takers.
Lucky me. This one works fine. Thanks much.

starlightchamp
07-01-2007, 07:11 PM
Hey Valleyguy, you are one lucky guy to have that replacement. It tooked me weeks to find a replacement for my Hawk Gt fuel gauge and that was a vendor up in Nova Scotia, Don't throw the old gauge away. Some day ,some one ,will be glad to have it repaired.
...Dick